• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sci-fi skirmish games

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
So, in my quest to find new, short games, I'm sort of running into a roadblock with one game I'm interested in: Deadzone. It seems really hard to find in stock with the shops I've checked, and one shop told me (even though they stock Mantic games) I'd be better off checking out something else.

I know there's Infinity, but I'll be honest - full lead Infinity scares me. It really looks intimidating.

I'm really not sure if I want to throw in with Kill Team. I had one player tell me its based off of last edition's 40K rules, is fiddly, and isn't really good for casual games like I want.

I've got Aristeia which I love and adore, but that's arena combat/sports. But its really set my expectations for things. I like it so much my copy of Shadespire is sitting unplayed for nearly two years now.

What else is there in sci-fi? I think there's some Fallout game now too?

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
You could check Rogue Stars from Andrea Sfiligoi (from Song of Blades and Heroes and co fame):

I haven't read this one in particular, but all these series of Osprey games are pretty similar: they have enough complexity to be interesting without being overwhelming, and they are super flexible (and Andrea always makes sure the rules support designing any type of unit you can imagine).

Scurrilous

Validated User
Why not order direct from Mantic?

A few years ago I'd have said Warzone, sadly not an option now.

Warlord's Beyond the Gates of Antares is all kinds of awesome. Rick Priestly hasn't lost his touch. Very modern, transhuman sf.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I've never ordered internationally before. It makes me a little nervous, you know?

OMAC 247

Tired of your nonsense
Validated User
I can't personally speak to how good Mantic are at shipping Internationally, but I doubt it should be an Issue, but if your really worried could you not find anything on Ebay?
However, I might still suggest you look at Killteam as an option, it is based on 8th edition 40k, but due to some differences in the turn sequence, rules changes and a restricted number of unit types it plays very different, and it's fast too.
The problem with Killteam now however, is the inability to get the starter set, which was a real bargain.
On a final note, I live in Nottingham so if you really can't get anything sorted with Deadzone, PM me and I'm sure we can sort something out

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
You could check Rogue Stars from Andrea Sfiligoi (from Song of Blades and Heroes and co fame):

I haven't read this one in particular, but all these series of Osprey games are pretty similar: they have enough complexity to be interesting without being overwhelming, and they are super flexible (and Andrea always makes sure the rules support designing any type of unit you can imagine).
This is very dissimilar to other Opsrey games. There is a LOT to track. That said, it's great if you don't mind tracking so many things.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Looks like Mantic will ship to Hawai'i, which is good. Its one of those bugaboos we have to look out for, even on Amazon. And some places only let us have the most expensive shipping option as well :/

However, I might still suggest you look at Killteam as an option, it is based on 8th edition 40k, but due to some differences in the turn sequence, rules changes and a restricted number of unit types it plays very different, and it's fast too.

The problem with Killteam now however, is the inability to get the starter set, which was a real bargain.
I've never played 40K at all, so similarities won't help. I have bought some GW stuff before and dislike the customization options since I'm not used to them, and it takes longer to get to playing. Shadespire at least was assemble and play. I've been watching Killteam with some interest since it came out, but I'll admit the addition of book after book sort of... intimidates me. I guess only the first book is "must have"?

Top Bottom