• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sci-fi skirmish games

Codeine

Wolf-grey Adonis
Validated User
Ash from Guerrilla Miniature Games did a short series of “Let’s Play” videos for Rogue Stars that cover all the bases. The downside of the system is the amount of tracking needed for each figure, but when we played we kept the tracks off-table on index cards, which isn’t onerous because the figure count is really small.

Galadrin

Validated User

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
Ash from Guerrilla Miniature Games did a short series of “Let’s Play” videos for Rogue Stars that cover all the bases. The downside of the system is the amount of tracking needed for each figure, but when we played we kept the tracks off-table on index cards, which isn’t onerous because the figure count is really small.

That's a good idea. I printed and mounted the counters. That gets crowded.

J.T.

Validated User
Whatever is out on the market I'll buy but I still end up coming back to my 1980s games workshop spacefarers rules set..... It just does everything I want and is simple but flexible.

OMAC 247

Tired of your nonsense
Validated User
The Gates of Antares hardback rule book is a bit of a mess, and you are better off getting the softcover one in the Kara-9 starter set. Though you might be better waiting for the 2nd edition version to drop, which is possibly later this year ?

cparen

Validated User
I know there's Infinity, but I'll be honest - full lead Infinity scares me. It really looks intimidating.
In case it helps, my spouse and I tried X-Wing as our first miniatures game, hated it, and realized we wanted a skirmish game and liked sci-fi. This took us to infinity, and we handled the complexity by starting with small armies and limiting the number of new rules we brought in each game. First game was quickstart rules only with *only* Zhanshi, 5 per side (55pt), no leiutenants. After that, we went to 100pt then 200pt, and agreed to only add one or two new rules each game, e.g. I added some remotes and a hacker (only considering 1 hacking program) and she added a camo sniper.

And using paper minis and tokens (but we're sure to get minis after next game)

We're 4 games in now, and honestly it's been a bit harder than we expected, but we still had a lot of fun, and those limits made sure the game didnt slow down too much, as its more fun to finish than necessarily minmax yet.

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
There's "Tomorrow's War", which is sorta skirmish, I think. I haven't played it personally.

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
I haven't played the 2017 Edition of Necromunda, but we had serious good fun in a long campaign with the 1st Edition of Necromunda (loosely based 2nd Edition WH40K rules) with progressive elements for gangs.
I think the rulebook and expension were available for free from the GW website for a while. And adapting to any style or universe shouldn't be that hard if required.

Scurrilous

Validated User
The Gates of Antares game looks as if it really would like to be the next 40k.
I think it's a bit too far out there. I think it will get more popular but 40k built its fan base by having pretty recognizable stuff, soldiers, bugs, anime mechs, elves. Antares is neat but I don't think it'll have the same broad appeal. It also has a lot of metal in the line still, though Warlord may be moving to resin or is at least experimenting with it.

Top Bottom