Scifi setting where humans haven't gone beyond our solar system?

YMMV

Retired User
I'm looking to find, or make, a scifi setting that takes place entirely within our solar system. The only time I've ever seen a setting like this is in the Cowboy Bebop anime, which I could certainly use as a start, but are there any others out that I might be missing?

If there aren't, what kinds of elements do you think would make this kind of setting interesting?

Some possible things I'm thinking might be fun are as follows. I'm more of a soft scifi/space opera fan, so the only technological constraint would be no FTL, since that would defeat the whole purpose of the setting. I'm less a fan of transhumanism, so at best humans may have an implant here or there and the usual prosthetic, but no computerized human minds. Of course, there would need to be space pirates, and plenty of conflicting factions. I'm not sure, but I think it might be neat to have a 'Big Threat' as well. Whether it be a rogue AI that is amassing a robot army, or some group of aliens stranded here. And of course, this being more of a space opera, psionics would have a part as well.

So, can anyone help me in my search, or with the creation of such a setting?

Cautious_Pessimist

Retired User
Well, Transhuman Space takes place entirely in our solar system, but it's pretty hard SF and as the name suggests it's more or less the exact opposite of what you want in every way. :eek:

Madcat

motorbikin'
Validated User
Jovian chronicles is set entirely within the solar system (at least it is in the main book and the companion)

masque1223

OK, this isn't space opera, and there is transhuman stuff, but it does fit some of the details you specified, so take it with a grain of salt.

The most well developed sci-fi setting I'm aware of that takes place only in our solar system is Transhuman Space for GURPS. There is a lot of stuff covered that isn't necessarily transhuman in nature, details on space stations, asteroid colonies and mining, that kind of thing. It's not as full out total transhuman content dominant as Eclipse Phase, for instance, due to it all being set a lot closer to our own time, just out to 2100 CE, IIRC.

You definitely have lots of factions, political stuff going on with AIs and whether they deserve civil rights, concerns about information and tech and who gets to control it or not, and who decides to pirate it for their own uses. There are some things similar to psionics, usually tech-related, I don't recall if there's out and out psychics.

Edit: someone beat me to it, apparently, but I don't see it as a total opposite.

jontheman

I write, draw and pretend to be a goddam hero
Validated User
If you can find a copy I'd suggest the Buck Rogers XXVc game from 1990. You don't have to use the Buck Rogers trappings or imagery, but it is good space opera and takes place in our solar system and invloves trading, managing ships, some pretty good sci-fi as far as terraforming goes and genetics. You'll probably have to do some of your own work as far as the planets beyond Mars are concerned but that's easy enough.

The system is based off AD&D 2nd edition so it still has THACO (hawk-spit!) but it's workable, and skills are all percentage based. I ran a 10-session game earlier this year and we did some planet hopping and trading, and the players seemed more interested in keeping their starship flying and working out the finances than anything else. It worked fine. Other than the THACO (hawk-spit!).

Regardless of the Buck Rogers packaging the setting is fully fleshed out and brand new so it's worth checking out. I've said it many times, the system could have been a serious contender for a generic space-born version of AD&D. It's a shame it was presented in the Buck Rogers format, but as I'm a huge Buster Crabbe Buck Rogers fan anyway I was okay with it.

YMMV

Retired User
Hmm, Transhuman Space does sound interesting, as does Jovian Chronicles. Thank you for the suggestions. I think I'll definitely look further into them. I should mention that I'm not actually completely opposed to transhuman elements, as such, TS doesn't necessarily go too far for my interests.

One further question I have though, is that no matter the setting, I'll more than likely be running Savage Worlds, so how hard would you say it would be to adapt these settings to that game?

masque1223

Hmm, Transhuman Space does sound interesting, as does Jovian Chronicles. Thank you for the suggestions. I think I'll definitely look further into them. I should mention that I'm not actually completely opposed to transhuman elements, as such, TS doesn't necessarily go too far for my interests.

One further question I have though, is that no matter the setting, I'll more than likely be running Savage Worlds, so how hard would you say it would be to adapt these settings to that game?
Well, I have only a cursory knowledge of Savage Worlds, I've read the Explorer's Edition, but I haven't played it. GURPS books do tend to use real world measurements in all of their stuff whenever possible, so it shouldn't be too hard to convert. The Transhuman Space corebook is one of their Powered by GURPS line, so it has a version of GURPS Lite included in the text, that should help with understanding any GURPS specific stuff, rules wise. If you're just mining it for setting material, I don't imagine you'd have much trouble.

Insect King

Mechristopheles!
Validated User
Eclipse Phase does this too although there are a very few extrasolar Stargate-style excursions but they are very limited and handled with extreme caution.

C.

Top Bottom