Screw it, I'm going to read my whole collection!

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
A while back I wrapped up the video game blog I'd maintained for four years. I was a bit at a loss for what to do next and wound up puttering around on various projects that never really took off. I guess it was always pretty obvious that my destiny was to start a new blog about a new subject and pursue it with the same single-minded stubbornness.

And so I'm making it official. I'm going to read every rpg book on my shelf. And I'm going to post about them. And I do mean everything. All the core books. All the supplements. The multiple editions (including two separate iterations of GURPS). Every single one.

Starting tomorrow at my new blog: It Came From the Bookshelf.

But this thread is not about self promotion (okay, not just about self promotion - on a whim I sprung for registering the domain name and I'd hate for those 12 dollars to go to waste.) Rather, if this is anything like my last blog, I'm going to need help with deciding which order to do things and I'll likely need some time to find my new format and voice. Video games were easy - just do a post every few hours about how I felt about the game after that time period. It will be different when I'm reading a whole book all at once.

I figure I could probably break each book down into two posts - a pre-read introduction and expectations post and a post-read reactions post. But I'd like to do a little more than just write down my feelings after reading a book. I'd like to read them more mindfully, so that I can provide useful insights.

Ideas that I'm playing around with:

Q&A - The gap between the introduction post and the reaction post should give my readers time to ask questions about the specific book, if they have any. Things like rules interpretations, metaplot controversies, or other miscellaneous stuff like that. But the real issue with this is the narrowness of the time frame and the difficulty of getting consistent participation.

Universal Kitchen Sink of Not Quite Plagiarized Setting Elements - Another idea I had was to wrap up every reaction post with one thing from the book that I would shamelessly steal and add to this hypothetical campaign world. Maybe keep the whole thing updated in a living document and periodically smooth out the edges to make them work coherently together. Though I can also see this rapidly becoming silly and unwieldy.

I might also do another version of the Decadent Gamer Challenge, though I'm not sure how that will work with the different medium.

Anyway, that's where I am right now. I figure my first order of business is to actually catalogue my books for the sidebar and that ought to take the better part of a day.

gribble

Validated User
I kind of like the idea of the preview/review posts. Sort of a hype vs reality comparison, that I haven't seen applied across RPGs before.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Okay, my first post is up

http://www.itcamefromthebookshelf.com/2018/11/dungeons-and-dragons-basic-and-expert.html

It's the Dungeons and Dragons Basic and Expert Sets. I mistakenly thought these were the oldest books in my collection until I read the wikipedia entry on them. Oh well, they nonetheless seemed like the most logical place to start.

I've also got the sidebar with my complete rpg collection up and ready, in case anyone wants to take a look and offer suggestions for how I should break them down. I'm like 95% sure I got everything, but the whole process was an ordeal. It took me 3 hours to compile the list and that's a lot of time to make an oversight. Not a biggie, though. I can just discreetly edit if I notice a flaw.

Now would also be the time to ask questions about the Basic and Expert Sets. Anything that gets posted by tonight, I'll keep in mind while I'm reading and try to answer in my reaction posts.

Also, my idea for a Universal Kitchen Sink Setting has mutated a bit. Now I'm thinking about doing a third post per book, where I write an episodic crossover fanfiction that bridges all the games. The only question is how fast that would get unbearably silly.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
I am appalled at the lack of palladium on that shelf. Explain thyself!
Just a coincidence. When I first started collecting, palladium had bad word of mouth among my friends. Now, when I buy new books I'm either fleshing out my incomplete sets or just picking out something from whatever is available on my local game shop's rpg shelf.

Do you have any recommendations for a good place to start?

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Wrote my reactions to D&D Basic and Expert

http://www.itcamefromthebookshelf.com/2018/11/dungeons-and-dragons-basic-and-expert_7.html

The main theme here is that D&D was super weird, right from the start.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. I'm inclined towards Genesys just because I got it last week and I'd hate for it to be years before I actually read the damned thing. In a broader sense, though, I need a plan. Some way to tackle these things in a systematic manner while still being diverse enough for a good blog. So I'll start by asking my biggest question - is it better to work my way through a whole series all at once or should I mix them up?

Imperator

Try RuneQuest instead
Validated User
I would go with whole series. I think it helps to get a sense of the evolution of the game, changes in tone and mechanics, things like that. In your previous challlenge, if you play a game with DLCs, you play the game AND the DLCs, don't you? ;)

Snumpus

Validated User
I think reading all the way through one series would get repetitive, especially as your blog readers are likely to have varying levels of interest in different games.

I really enjoyed seeing you work through your video games, so I look forward to reading along with this!

Top Bottom