• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Screw it, I'm going to read my whole collection!

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Read Guide to the Anarchs

This is not a book I'm going to remember with fondness. There were long stretches where I had to physically look away from the page, just to keep my eyes from rolling themselves out of my head.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
An unexpected swerve into Star Wars Saga Edition

I normally prefer to read these books in an order that preserves a thematic or historical progression, but I saw an opportunity to dovetail my blogging and game prep, and I took it!

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Finished Star Wars Saga Edition

I like this book a lot. It has its niche as an intro Star Wars rpg that leverages existing familiarity with d20 into an easy to use system with only a few broken points. I'll probably alternate between AD&D2 and SWSE supplements for awhile. Try to get both out of the way quick.

Victim

Validated User
TBH, I'm not as forgiving as you about SWSE. The fundamental scaling mechanic of the game not working correctly seems to be the exact same thing you slammed Scion for. And the vehicle rules did not seem great. And there are too many abilities to let you substitute Use the Force for other checks. The condition track was either worthless, or a route to one or two shotting people, depending on many steps you could impose in 1 or 2 actions.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
TBH, I'm not as forgiving as you about SWSE. The fundamental scaling mechanic of the game not working correctly seems to be the exact same thing you slammed Scion for. And the vehicle rules did not seem great. And there are too many abilities to let you substitute Use the Force for other checks. The condition track was either worthless, or a route to one or two shotting people, depending on many steps you could impose in 1 or 2 actions.
You're not wrong, but I guess with SWSE, the probability math is much simpler, so the scale problem is easy to fix. When I played before, I didn't even notice it except in the abstract.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
The Complete Thief's Handbook

The first time I read this book, I completely missed how strange it was. It's well done, but the subject matter was poorly chosen and it winds up being an AD&D player's guide that is least useful to standard adventurers.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Another day, another book down.

This is a short one, mostly because the book itself was pretty short and did not have anything particularly shocking or objectionable inside of this (villain with lightsaber elbows notwithstanding).

It's likely that I could knock another one out tonight, given that Tuesdays are usually slow at the hotel, but I just downloaded my Aberrant 2nd Edition preview, so my priorities are elsewhere.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Haven't done any reading so far this week. Instead, my mission is to get the Ukss page up to date. I have fallen way too far behind. Even after 3 days work, I am only up to January of this year.

Though going through this process all at once has raised some troubling questions:

What the hell am I going to do about all these TBD placeholder names? I guess I had a vague thought that some of my Ukss contributions would be cities, continents, mountains, or other geographical features, but that's looking increasingly unlikely. Maybe I just bite the bullet and make up some names? Or maybe I leave them as backer rewards for the Ukss d20 Kickstarter I'm inevitably going to convince myself is a good idea, come 2025.

Also, the cultural appropriation in this is going to be really bad, I can already tell. Granted, a lot of that is going to come down to the fact that I am literally just appropriating stuff and jamming it into a new setting, careless of its original context, but I think I've been making some decisions that might make it worse. Like, so far, I've been using "Yokai Village" as a super-category for all sorts of people-like creatures that posses a society. Are sasquatches yokai? I don't know, and I'm not even sure how to begin the research necessary to find out.

Finally, will Ukss have airships? I kind of took it for granted that it would, because I'm picturing it as a sort of post-steampunk high fantasy world. Like if Adventure! was swords and sorcery instead of pulp, but a lot of the stuff I still have on my docket works better if you assume widespread sea travel, so I'm at kind of a loss.

Oh well, back at it. Only have six months of material left to go.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Okay, the Ukss page is now up to date

I kind of like the way this is shaping up, if I can be permitted a moment of vanity. It's still pretty disconnected so far, but I am starting to find some threads that might hold it together. Like, I guess there are "Great Wands" that are the prototypes for the more common magic wands. And I think there might be some sort of imperialist-capitalist culture bloc called "the Lowlands," but it's pretty roughly sketched at the moment.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Oh, hey, I was able to squeeze in a book this week after all

The Complete Priest's Handbook. Not sure if the book was less useful than I remember it or whether I just expect all of my divine-themed fantasy to be more like Scion now.

Top Bottom