• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Screw it, I'm going to read my whole collection!

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Read the Complete Wizard's Handbook

I rip into it pretty hard, but mostly as a stand-in for everything that frustrates me about AD&D. I am, however, starting to think that maybe this series wasn't as fun as I remembered.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
No complaints about Starships of the Galaxy

Except, of course, that it forced me to confront my own hypocrisy . . . but that's not something I can really lay at the feet of its authors. They had no way of knowing the use I was going to put it to.

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ooh, a fine example of "kill your darlings" in action! I had been wondering to myself what you'd do with things like this.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Ooh, a fine example of "kill your darlings" in action! I had been wondering to myself what you'd do with things like this.
Oh, thank you. It really was a fraught decision for me. I'm pretty sure that introducing space travel is going to make all the stuff I've been writing about sea and air travel more or less pointless, but I knew as I was reading Starships of the Galaxy that any choice I made that wasn't a starship was going to come across as farcical.

Meanwhile, I was able to squeeze in the rare Saturday post, about The Complete Paladin's Handbook

For those wondering about my schedule it's Wednesdays and Thursdays, I'm at home and playing video games (or doing other important life maintenance stuff on my days off, but yeah, mostly video games), Fridays and Saturdays, I'm at work, but the summer traffic means I barely have time to read (imagine, having to work at work, hmph!) and then Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday the hotel is relatively dead, giving me plenty of time to read. I mention it, because The Complete Paladin's Handbook was actually good enough that I read the bulk of it on my day off! Rather than play My Time At Portia! Can you even believe it?

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Finished The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide

I was looking forward to how much I was dreading this, but it actually did not live down to my expectations. It's just a serviceable book with a grab bag of useful Star Wars stuff loosely held together by the time period's themes.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Finished The Complete Bard's Handbook in just one day

I both do the thing where I over-focus on one specific spell and read way too much into it and the thing where reading the book inspires me to imagine an entirely different book I only wish I could read. Also, there's a perfunctory discussion of racism. So it's pretty much peak ICFTB.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Read my last Saga Edition book, Scum and Villainy

Mostly I complain about the EU. Probably because the book itself is unobjectionably competent. Also, Ukss is turning into a furry setting so gradually that I'm just now noticing. Is my subconscious trying to tell me something?

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
The Complete Ranger's Handbook

Likely the high point in the series. I react to it a bit more incredulously than many people will find warranted, but that's what AD&D does to me.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Finished off the PHB classes with The Complete Druid's Handbook

It was decent. Weird, but not necessarily weird in the right places. Kneecapped by the alignment system, though.

I still have Ninjas and Psionics to do before I move on to the race-focused books, but I thought I'd rank the standard classes from best to worst

1. Rangers
2. Bards
3. Druids
4. Paladins
5. Thieves
6. Priests
7. Fighters
8. Wizards

The only really difficult slots here were 7 and 8. Ultimately, I ranked Wizards worst because it suffered greatly from reusing the Fighters' book's already dubious kits. Seriously, what is an Amazon Wizard supposed to do with a once-per-combat +3 to hit bonus? I mean, the bonus is supposed to exist because sexist men think all women are bad at fighting, but wizards are bad at fighting. And , you know what, let's just cut this rant off before it gets out of control.

Serious question, though - what should I read between my AD&D books now that I've finished Star Wars Saga Edition? I'm thinking either Trinity, Changeling: the Lost, or my GURPS books. But I'm open to any suggestions.

Top Bottom