• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Screw it, I'm going to read my whole collection!

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Okay, I'll read Trinity next. Who knows, maybe I'll finish by the time my copy of the new core arrives. In the meantime, I wound up finishing The Complete Ninja's Handbook last night

I think this might have been the book that broke me. I don't remember ever being less coherent.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
I read the full-color setting section of the Trinity core book last night

This is probably my longest post to date. I'm kind of uncomfortable with the way that I seem to have appointed myself the arbiter of these old books' problematic racial content, but I follow my inspiration, and the more I write about it, the more I notice it. The funny thing is that there isn't really much overt racism in this book at all. The South America stuff didn't age well, but otherwise it's mostly a case of a disconnect between what the book says the setting is all about and what it bothers to actually show on the page.

Maybe reading the dry system parts of a core book, followed by the pure fantasy of The Complete Psionics Handbook will get me out of this mindset.

Grantanz

Validated User
This is probably my longest post to date. I'm kind of uncomfortable with the way that I seem to have appointed myself the arbiter of these old books' problematic racial content, but I follow my inspiration, and the more I write about it, the more I notice it. The funny thing is that there isn't really much overt racism in this book at all. The South America stuff didn't age well, but otherwise it's mostly a case of a disconnect between what the book says the setting is all about and what it bothers to actually show on the page.

Maybe reading the dry system parts of a core book, followed by the pure fantasy of The Complete Psionics Handbook will get me out of this mindset.
My takeaway from your post was more along the lines of "Thank goodness we know better and can do better now". I'm not sure how much better the education system is these days, but the information is out there, and a lot of people _are_ actually doing their research.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
My takeaway from your post was more along the lines of "Thank goodness we know better and can do better now". I'm not sure how much better the education system is these days, but the information is out there, and a lot of people _are_ actually doing their research.
That's a very apt summary. I could probably have just said that and saved myself a lot of time.

The second part of the Trinity core is done, however

It's not quite as long-winded as part 1, but it does feature some overly-detailed discussion about the nuances of the Storyteller system and me getting sentimental over the survival blanket.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
I think I may have lost one of my Trinity books when I moved (like, 3 years ago). I have a strong memory of owning Field Report: Extrasolar colonies, though I must also acknowledge the fact that I could be thinking of the Upeo book. It's very unlike me to lose a book, so this could just be my memory playing a trick. But it is also annoyingly small.

Now I know how Smaug felt when Bilbo stole that cup.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Finished The Complete Psionics Handbook last night

I am blazing through these things lately. I think it's because I realized that if I can read 31 more books in the next 11 weeks, I'll have finished 100 in my first year.

Victim

Validated User
I think you underrate psionics.

First of all, while the default method for stats produces bad ones and the PHB tells you that a 13 is really good, both the mechanics and the NPCs in adventures and character write ups tell a different story. I just started working on converting Night Below. A crappy named guy in the first encounter has double 17s.

Moreover, one of the mechanical strengths of psionic powers is that while power points were level capped, powers in general were governed by their mini trees IIRC. So you could cast Disintegrate at 3rd level or something like that if you really focused on it - it takes a 12th level wizard to do that in 2e. Psionics are somewhat unreliable, but also bypass much of the normal power curve of the game. And not by little steps, we're talking gaps of potentially 100k individual XP or more between access levels.

Finally, since most settings have more magic stuff than psionics, the lack of psi/magic interactions means that the psion benefits from stuff most foes won't be able to detect or dispel, while learning the specialized power for messing with magic is useful for them. But the reverse is not necessarily true, which kind of puts the psion ahead of the game in some ways.

And 2e wizards are less good and well, 'safe' than 3e ones.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Those are all fair points. I really should have mentioned the Disintegrate at level 3 thing. Honestly, though, I don't remember the actual play experience of 2e well enough to judge the balance with precision. What I do remember is that my group, personally, treated combat as a sort of set-piece climax to much longer interaction and exploration adventures, and it would be rare for us to have more than one combat per game day (one of my few complaints about 4e, really - 4 combat encounters per day is absolutely blazing pacing) so the 2e wizard's disadvantages didn't really come in to play all that often. Magic and psionics were both primarily for utility. Plus, while getting Disintegrate at 3rd level is impressive, against the enemies you're likely to encounter, Sleep is almost as deadly.

But you're right, psionics does have advantages that I should have talked about a little more.

Top Bottom