• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Screw it, I'm going to read my whole collection!

ESkemp

Validated User
There's a slight possibility that I read more into it than was actually there. I do that sometimes. Check out my previous blog, where I inexplicably contend that Jet Set Radio is a devastating critique of capitalism.
Ha! Well, I wouldn't go too far in assuming you're reading too much into it -- there were a number of authors on the book, some of whom were parents and some who weren't, from a variety of home lives, and everybody brought their own inspiration to the party. So the concepts of parenting and childhood definitely may have informed some sections on the Durance, in much the same way that we had varying opinions on the best way to use fetches.

The very shrewd Rob Donoghue pointed out that the Seasonal Courts map roughly to the five stages of grief -- sans Acceptance -- and it's a brilliant read. It's also something we completely lucked into, because I think we were pretty much just going for emotions and reactions that fit the overall vibe of the seasons. C:tL managed to completely surprise me with the amount of depth and meaning people were able to extract from it, because I know I'm not that smart -- but I was lucky enough to work with a lot of smart people.

DJChallix

Gygaxian Gen-Xer
Validated User
I hope this isn't a derail, but I just have to say this. I just spent some time looking at your blog, and it's beautiful, and fascinating, and awesome. I am amazing at the sheer volume of STUFF in your collection! My own collection is very modest by design--probably about two bookshelves (plus tons of PDFs). How do you cope with all the books you have? Do you have the space? Is it overwhelming in its volume? Do you ever feel the need or urge to cull? Just curious. Keep up the awesome blog!

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
I hope this isn't a derail, but I just have to say this. I just spent some time looking at your blog, and it's beautiful, and fascinating, and awesome. I am amazing at the sheer volume of STUFF in your collection! My own collection is very modest by design--probably about two bookshelves (plus tons of PDFs). How do you cope with all the books you have? Do you have the space? Is it overwhelming in its volume? Do you ever feel the need or urge to cull? Just curious. Keep up the awesome blog!
I live in a two bedroom apartment and one room is devoted entirely to books (not just rpgs, but all my fiction and nonfiction as well). Someone's living in there at the moment, but it's temporary. It does restrict my access, though, and thus I have a few more homeless books than usual, but I still, theoretically have room for a lot more. Got rid of a bunch when I moved to my new place, because it was smaller than my last one, but rpg books had first priority when I was deciding what to keep. The whole collection is actually quite compact, but the shelves go from floor to ceiling, and take up about 5 feet of wall space. They're pretty dense, though, and it can sometimes be tough to elegantly add or remove a single volume.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Trying something new with the format for Changeling: the Lost 2nd edition

http://www.itcamefromthebookshelf.com/2019/01/changeling-lost-2nd-edition-core.html

Breaking it down into 2-chapter chunks, hopefully allowing me to get more in-depth about specific subjects. Though I realized too late that I should definitely space the editions out a bit more. I guess I thought it would be a good idea because of that time I read all my Exalted books in a row, but it occurs to me that in that case, each version of the same book was separated by the bulk of the edition's supplements.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
I'm a dork. I started reading a new book and it wasn't until I was 10 pages in that I realized it was a supplement for an edition I hadn't read the core of yet. I'll get a new book tomorrow. Just going to goof off tonight.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Accidentally skipped a post

http://www.itcamefromthebookshelf.com/2019/02/chuubos-marvelous-wish-granting-engine_9.html

And here we have the final one to round it out

http://www.itcamefromthebookshelf.com/2019/02/chuubos-marvelous-wish-granting-engine_11.html

It's definitely the new format that's been slowing me down, though. I wind up feeling like I can just take more time to read. I'll probably keep it for awhile, though, because I like having a bit more more space to post. Maybe I'll change up and just write a post every other day or so about whatever it is I happened to read in that time.

Top Bottom