Screwed up a priming job: help!

thenorm42

Validated User
Weird, I got away with it with my Skavenslaves (actually Mighty Warriors Skaven). They were pretty misshapen to begin with, though. :D

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I've been told X will melt (synthetic/plastic/whatever) a few times, and hear stories that X won't. I'm personally of the belief that there's enough different non-metal materials out there that you probably need to test when at all possible. So, if you got a bit of sprue or can clip a little thing that can glue back on? Maybe that would work? I dunno.

For instance: my go-turn stripper was Simple Green, and I've used it for many minis, metal and not, from both Privateer Press and now Corvus Belli (Aristeia, not Infinity). I got told point blank by a friend of mine who has YEARS of experience (decades, even) that "don't use that you'll melt the mini."

Now, I don't know if Simple Green has the same formulation now that it did "then", or what line of non-metal mini he was trying with, but I don't doubt it turned something to soup. But it doesn't do that with modern/current-ish PP or Aristeia minis. So, yeah, things can change. Who knows? In a few years they could change their not-metal stuff and it'll be true! Or Simple Green could reformulate and turn into "Dip" from Roger Rabbit so far as my minis are concerned...

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Plus, for some Tyranid and Chaos minis a slightly melty appearance can look quite cool!
It might be cool, but I'm thinking cleanup will be awful, plus no telling what sorts of fun fumes or such were created to get that sort of reaction. Well ventilated area plus gloves seems like a requirement for knowingly doing that.

Bookwrack

Gazer
Validated User
No, simple green won't melt your plastics.

I would avoid brake fluid because it's horrible stuff that requires special disposal. There are much better solutions out there.

Top Bottom