• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sean Patrick Fannon called out for multiple cases of sexual harrassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
...shit.

I'm at a con with him this weekend.
That sucks man. I'm sorry. Hopefully the con will satisfactorily deal with this ahead of time, so you don't have to worry about it at the con.

Last edited:

Shadowplay0

Social Justice Mechwarrior
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm getting the idea that some folks are supremely unshocked by these accusations. Can someone with knowledge explain why?

Bipolar Bear

The Saddest/Happiest Bear
Validated User
One of the accusers is a friend of mine. I guarantee no one has investigated her claim, since this article was the first time she's talked about it with anyone.

In fact, I know a couple of women who have leveled complaints at SPF. Their stories are not mine to tell, but I hope they contacted Christopher Helton for his article (or will after seeing it).

Particular Jones

Banned
While I'm glad the article was posted for all to see which we need more off.

I do think it was poorly written in that it comes off less as wanting to talk about the issue and more a hit piece on Fannon. It's one thing to point out his bad behavior towards women it's another to skate dangerously close to libel in showing his poor behavior to the masses. To be clear I am not a fan of the guy or what he did as I find it despicable yet the writer of the article does himself no favors in how he wrote the article.

Last edited:

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
While I'm glad the article was posted for all to see which we need more off.

I do think it was poorly written in that it comes off less as wanting to talk about the issue and more a hit piece on Fannon. It's one thing to point out his bad behavior towards women it's another to skate dangerously close to libel in showing his poor behavior to the masses. To be clear I am not a fan of the guy or what he did as I find it despicable yet the writer of the article does himself no favors in how he wrote the article.
Fannon is the issue. How do you say what he's been reported to have done (and which parts he's owned up to) without it coming across as a hit to the guy? What are you talking about?

Angel of the Dawn

Validated User
Oh hell. :(

I'm completely blindsided by this. Some people aren't surprised, but I'm not one of those "in the know." I'm surprised, and terribly disappointed. I'm also pretty pissed.

I have no choice but to no longer support the Savage Rifts game line, or Pinnacle at all, until Sean is removed from any and all positions at that company. I don't know what this holds for the future of Savage Rifts, but that's not important. It's a goddamn game. The people he hurt are what's important.

I'm going to go curate my Twitter and Facebook now, if you'll excuse me.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, reached out via Facebook PM to just see...like...what's up.

ETA: What I'm hearing from a few industry friends is that the allegations have been examined before, including by women-led organizations, and were found to be less-than-accurate (and weren't found to be credible enough to be run by a different site, apparently?). It might all be some sort of grudge, or...something? I dunno.
"Grudge" is a dismissive and problematic word. For one thing, actual abuse victims may bear grudges. Grudges (assuming the description is accurate) are not evidence that no abuse occurred.

One of the accusers is a friend of mine. I guarantee no one has investigated her claim, since this article was the first time she's talked about it with anyone.

In fact, I know a couple of women who have leveled complaints at SPF. Their stories are not mine to tell, but I hope they contacted Christopher Helton for his article (or will after seeing it).
So these are new allegations from new people, not the ones which Critias says were examined and dismissed before?

Chris M

Validated User
I keep thinking Shaintar, Rifts, Freedom Squadron and the blueprint of everything this man has worked on for years now stands in the balance of being toppled.

And I think of all the victims yet to come forward and how unraveling all of this must be for them.

The irony is he came to my attention by way of listening to gaming podcasts in my queue years ago as I was looking to start my own down the road. The subject matter on that gaming podcast was him putting an advertisement on his Live Journal to meet a woman who games as a partner and significant other.

And how that was going and how he met his then partner from the candidates who responded.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm getting the idea that some folks are supremely unshocked by these accusations. Can someone with knowledge explain why?
Whisper networks are a thing.

See, if a woman *comes forward* with an allegation of sexual assault or harassment, she's going to get hit with the usual predictable accusations: That none of it happened, she is lying for attention, she misinterpreted everything*, that she should let him be innocent until proven guilty by shutting up until after he's convicted of something (huh?), you can actually fill in these blanks yourself by reading just this thread and the one responding to the article on its own site.

Like, just read the comments section, and have a little empathy fantasy where someone treated you the way these women are alleged to have been treated, and you came forward about it, and this was the response you got. From people who had never met you or spoken to you. I think you'd be pretty pissed off. I would be.

[In my own home state of Missouri, there is an allegation, presently the subject of criminal charges, that our state governor sexually assaulted a woman, tied her up, blackmailed and/or extorted her, et cetera. She has been resistant to turning over her cellular telephone for a forensic examination of its contents. The usual suspects have been making loud claims that this shows she's part of some conspiracy, or is a bad actor. Surely if she were innocent she would turn her phone straight over to the authorities! Motherfuckers, do YOU want to have everything in your phone read by a third party, turned over to his criminal defense attorneys whose job it is to make you out to be a "lying whore**," possibly leaked into the public record? You would have to be really stupid or incredibly brave to let that happen. I'd smash my phone with a hammer first, myself.]

So, because many women would rather not be victimized again by the howling hydra of ignorant or bad-faith public discourse about their character, motivations, honesty, or simple ability to perceive reality around them, they instead just tell other women "Hey, don't be alone in a room with [Whatever dude], he can be a problem."

These whisper networks can get vigorous and extensive, especially in small communities. They are a necessary component of women's strategies of self-protection.

They also lead to a really weird situation where suddenly some guy is publicly accused of being a serial sexual harasser, and men in his social circles are like "Hwuh?" Even though multiple women of their acquaintance are like, "Yeah, everyone knows that." The dynamics that lead to this situation are instructive.

*Why is it that when women misunderstand things it is used to excuse men's behavior, but ALSO when men misunderstand things it is used to excuse their behavior? Women never seem to get the benefit of the doubt regarding these misunderstandings. I think it must be related to how men are presumed to be so much more Objective, whereas women are Subjective, and so uninvolved men must be called in to interpret, in the fashion of an oracle, what relationship to reality their experiences might or might not have.

**I am fully aware this is a super problematic thing to type. Please be assured it is a description of his defense attorney's strategy for swaying the jury and public perception, and not an endorsement on my part of the position that sex workers are any more dishonest than anyone else.

Last edited:

Bipolar Bear

The Saddest/Happiest Bear
Validated User
So these are new allegations from new people, not the ones which Critias says were examined and dismissed before?
Yeah, my understanding is that it was the hugging incident that was examined and dismissed. This is something that has nothing to do with Gamers Giving, but did occur at another Con.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom