[Second Draft] Badass Kung-Fu Demigods

The Free Man

Validated User
"huge raging barbarian overwhelms mr fancy's swordplay with raw power"
The thing that comes to mind, if you're familiar with Game of Thrones, is Oberyn Martell (master of swordplay) fighting the Mountain (big mean dude). Martell was winning handily, and was even able to permanently cripple the Mountain. If he simply stayed the course he would have beaten Gregor no problem (seriously, the big guy never touched him until the last few seconds of the fight), but got obsessed with revenge and let the big dude lay hands on him.

Then of course there's Kratos and Hermes for might winning out over speed.

Plus... Did Asura ever actually defeat Yasha?

And the Flash... I feel like anyone he fights is just in permanent slow motion, and that's real bad for martial artists. I mean really. Do you have any idea how many times he could punch Bruce Lee in the face before the latter even thought to make a move? Like... a lot. By the same token, the Hulk simply would not care, and would keep swinging until he hit him. Or do that thunderclap thing. I think that's even his go to when dealing with speedsters.

Last edited:

GMImperfecti

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The thing that comes to mind, if you're familiar with Game of Thrones, is Oberyn Martell (master of swordplay) fighting the Mountain (big mean dude). Martell was winning handily, and was even able to permanently cripple the Mountain. If he simply stayed the course he would have beaten Gregor no problem (seriously, the big guy never touched him until the last few seconds of the fight), but got obsessed with revenge and let the big dude lay hands on him.

And the Flash... I feel like anyone he fights is just in permanent slow motion, and that's real bad for martial artists. I mean really. Do you have any idea how many times he could punch Bruce Lee in the face before the latter even thought to make a move? Like... a lot.
That's not a bad point. I might make that change.

I think my initial thought was "big slow guy tries to smash the tiny fast dude who runs circles around them" and "huge raging barbarian overwhelms mr fancy's swordplay with raw power", but admittedly the Tech-beating-speed thing was not much of a cliche to begin with. So if tech beats might, might beats speed and speed beats tech...that works fairly well too and probably fits more media tropes.
Throwing a wrench into the debat, but doesn’t:

Speed > Might
Might > Arcane
Arcane > Speed
And Tech has an edge against all three.

I dunno, but I felt like the free declaration made more sense for Arcane than it did for Tech, whereas increasing Tension seemed more inline with Tech styles (your quintessential super sayan powerup style). Whereas bonus declarations makes sense with arcane collateral damage.

GMImperfecti

RPGnet Member
Validated User

And the Flash... I feel like anyone he fights is just in permanent slow motion, and that's real bad for martial artists. I mean really. Do you have any idea how many times he could punch Bruce Lee in the face before the latter even thought to make a move? Like... a lot. By the same token, the Hulk simply would not care, and would keep swinging until he hit him. Or do that thunderclap thing. I think that's even his go to when dealing with speedsters.
At least in the Flash WB Show they had several cool scenes where the Flash was beat by the Green Arrow’s superior strategy (e.g. technique). I thought that was a fitting counter to super speed...just being a few moves ahead of the speedster.

The Free Man

Validated User
At least in the Flash WB Show they had several cool scenes where the Flash was beat by the Green Arrow’s superior strategy (e.g. technique). I thought that was a fitting counter to super speed...just being a few moves ahead of the speedster.
Well yeah, but the Flash is a goofball who doesn't always take things as seriously as he should. Plus it does matter which version we're talking about. Comics Flash is... Wait. Do you mean that live action show where Flash sucks seven different kinds of butt? Come on man. That Flash has no where near as much experience as Green Arrow. He's not even as fast as the one from Justice League. GOD I hate that kid.

Throwing a wrench into the debat, but doesn’t:

Speed > Might
Might > Arcane
Arcane > Speed
And Tech has an edge against all three.

I dunno, but I felt like the free declaration made more sense for Arcane than it did for Tech, whereas increasing Tension seemed more inline with Tech styles (your quintessential super sayan powerup style). Whereas bonus declarations makes sense with arcane collateral damage.
It's Arcane with the edge against all three. And you could go either way with Declarations. Yes, an Arcane person could so a bunch of crazy stuff, but I think he was referring more to the Technical person's penchant for disabling the opponent (broken or twisted limbs, disarming them, using the environment to their advantage, etc).

And heck, there's Kenshiro. I can totally see him has a Might/Tech character who specializes in using Declarations to absolutely ruin everyone's day.

And that style of power-up already exists in the form of Roaring Monk Meditation.

Last edited:

The Free Man

Validated User
Sorry for the double post, but this has me wondering... Is there design space for Powers that a character can only learn if they have a specific fighting style?

Knaight

Validated User
It's really FX at that point per the system.
That said this does look pretty easy to hack, so at the very least you could tie things in once you adapt the system to your particular setting. At the very least you could build NPCs this way, and to some extent you kind of do when picking appropriate powers and appropriate skills separately to fit the particular characters.

Beyond Reality

Validated User
Sorry for the double post, but this has me wondering... Is there design space for Powers that a character can only learn if they have a specific fighting style?
It's not necessarily impossible, but I wouldn't want to write that into the rules. Although I try and make them evocative, at their heart Signature Powers are about the effects of the powers, not the method.

So, for example Cross Burst is essentially kind of meant to represent a "hit-then-hit-again" combo. Now that could represent striking so fast that it seems like your weapon is in two places at once (False Assassin from Fate springs to mind), or it could represent skillfully wielding twin weapons (any fictional Miyamoto Musashi is a good example), or it could just represent hitting your opponent really hard with the first hit being your fist and the second being when they slam into the ground and/or wall (Heaven Thunder Hammer style from Exalted).

Powers are generally meant to be customized to your character's style rather than limited by it. So a characters concept is more likely to limit them than their fighting form. For instance, the Ice Prison Power (while not strictly limited to ice) is probably not going to be appropriate for a firebender type who's all about shooting blasts of flames and generally being hot. Creating a physical prison isn't really "in theme" for them.

But that's going to be really specific to the setting and style of each character, so I'd want to leave that more to personal choice and table options.

The Free Man

Validated User
Okay, something just occurred to me. I really like how using the Forbidden Art takes the element of choice out of picking through spells (because that can be a serious pain, believe me), but something's a bit off. They can't actually do any of this until they get at least 2 AP. That power is essentially useless for the first one or two encounters. Is that by design?

Last edited:

GMImperfecti

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, something just occurred to be. I really like how using the Forbidden Art takes the element of choice out of picking through spells (because that can be a serious pain, believe me), but something's a bit off. They can't actually do any of this until they get at least 2 AP. That power is essentially useless for the first one or two encounters. Is that by design?
It's debt driven. So I can use Black Razor but can't buy anything else into I pay for it

Top Bottom