[Second Draft] Badass Kung-Fu Demigods

The Free Man

Validated User
Ooooh. It even says it in the very next sentence. "If you have not yet earned any AP or" yada yada. That's me derped.

Cost seems a bit strange though. Why are Adamant spells only 2 more AP than Sapphire spells, but Sapphire spells are 4 more than Emerald spells?

Last edited:

Beyond Reality

Validated User
That must be a typo. The intent was for Emerald circle to be the same price as a Signature Power (6 AP), Sapphire to be a bit more (8 AP) and Adamant to be significantly more (10 AP).

EDIT: I also realized that I never set a limit on the amount of Essence that can be drawn into a spell. It should be twice the damage threshold (so a Emerald Circle spell can't take more than 2 extra points of Essence, while an Adamant could be invested with up to 6).

Last edited:

GMImperfecti

RPGnet Member
Validated User
That must be a typo. The intent was for Emerald circle to be the same price as a Signature Power (6 AP), Sapphire to be a bit more (8 AP) and Adamant to be significantly more (10 AP).

EDIT: I also realized that I never set a limit on the amount of Essence that can be drawn into a spell. It should be twice the damage threshold (so a Emerald Circle spell can't take more than 2 extra points of Essence, while an Adamant could be invested with up to 6).
Ah that limit makes more sense now. Can you go into AP debt for multiple spells or only one at a time?

Beyond Reality

Validated User
You can do more than one at once, the debt itself is generic (so it doesn't matter which gets paid first or anything), mastery is tracked by the individual spell but in terms of AP it's just a negative value to be paid off before you start accruing positive values of AP.

The Free Man

Validated User
I'm a little confused as to how Hungry Beast Method works. If it's successful, is your opponent up against a hazard, forcing them to take possible damage in addition to losing energy? At the Awakened level, are you essentially paying two EP to get two Overdrive EP each round?

Beyond Reality

Validated User
I'm a little confused as to how Hungry Beast Method works. If it's successful, is your opponent up against a hazard, forcing them to take possible damage in addition to losing energy? At the Awakened level, are you essentially paying two EP to get two Overdrive EP each round?
No Hazard (unless there's another power or something in the works). You're simply declaring that you've got them in your grasp in some way. Depending on the opponent in question this could be anything from just having a tight grip on their arm, wrestling around with them or literally clinging to their back (in the case of massive foes). What's important is that you've established and maintain contact with them. That declaration can limit them in other ways (for instance, if they want to escape an Engagement with you they would have to break your grip with a declaration, then use another one to flee the Engagement), but that isn't a function of the power itself, just a prerequisite for using it.

The main benefit is that it gives you a new source of Overdrive that has no downside for you (unlike traditional Overdrive methods that involve some form of sacrifice or limitation) and robs your opponent of EP.

So, to give a scenario with two Awakened level opponents. Your opponent attacks you, you beat them and score a strike, which you use to declare that you've got ahold of them. You can now initiate this power. A new round begins, you go first. You've got 0 EP available (due to the overdrive cost), your opponent has 2 EP. You can drain both of those EP in the process of making an attack against your opponent, using them for Supercharge against them. You are roughly as effective as you were before using this power (having spent 2 EP) and your opponent has had all their EP stolen for that round. Not only can they not use it to defend against your attack, they can't use it when it comes their turn to take an action.

It diminishes your opponent's EP while keeping your own more or less equivalent (and at higher power levels, it gives you more, since it costs only 2 EP but your maximum overdrive increases). At Limitless you'd have 3 of your own EP to play with, in addition to being able to steal up to 5 from your opponent, keeping them tapped.

It's got some strategic limitations since you and your opponent are now basically in a race to drain the EP pool to prevent the other from using it, and it's less effective against a more powerful opponent whose pool exceeds your overdrive capacity. But so long as you've got your opponent in your grip you can basically prevent them from using their own EP and actually use their EP against them.

The Free Man

Validated User
Since no one's posted in a bit, I'll throw down a question that's been on my mind. With regard to the Cultivation limitation, why is only one technique required to unlock the Awakened ascension?

Top Bottom