• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Second Draft] Badass Kung-Fu Demigods

The Free Man

Validated User
Oh sick. I thought this project was dead. Can't wait to dive into it.

Quick question though. Given the changes you've made, do you think your previous material (like the Dead Sun setting) can be added to this new system without too much trouble?

Beyond Reality

Validated User
Oh sick. I thought this project was dead. Can't wait to dive into it.

Quick question though. Given the changes you've made, do you think your previous material (like the Dead Sun setting) can be added to this new system without too much trouble?
A lot will be compatible in the sense that the concepts tend to link to obvious replacements. The biggest source of distinction is probably the Trait rules, but it's unlikely it would be difficult to work out how to translate your fighting style and backgrounds to a configuration of Core Traits. Converting example characters between editions was largely effortless. The other main difference are kind of self-evident (removing basic powers for instance) or require only moderate conversion (figuring out how to refit previous draft powers into current draft Techs).

Extinction Burp

Sourpuss
Validated User
I am glad to see this project alive and well!

I must also delve more into it, and will have feedback in a helpful form soon enough, or so I hope.

Beyond Reality

Validated User
Still prodding at this, but I think the fact that its been about a month and no major new rule-shifts has occured to me makes me think that I may have finally reached more or less the final form of my system. I intend to include some optional rules for a more final draft...but otherwise things are looking good.

Optional rules I know I need:

*a potential "magic" system as an alternative form of Energy use, somewhat based on the Sorcery rules from my Dark Sun Exalted mashup.
*The labor system discussed earlier in this thread to handle long term projects.
*An influence system for social manipulation and relationship tracking.
*???

I feel like there's more i've thought of in the past which may be scribbled on some digital document somewhere, but I have yet to find them.

EnigmaticOne

Validated User
Huh, good to see this running and reaching completion possibly. A note about combat, I'm not exactly crazy about the Guts vs. Guts setup for style advantages. Personally, I think it would be better to fit into the RPS as a square rather than a triangle.

Looking forward to the other systems!

Beyond Reality

Validated User
Huh, good to see this running and reaching completion possibly. A note about combat, I'm not exactly crazy about the Guts vs. Guts setup for style advantages. Personally, I think it would be better to fit into the RPS as a square rather than a triangle.

Looking forward to the other systems!
I admit Guts vs Guts getting a bonus was kind of a whim. I did intend that Guts be "outside" of the RPS system, mainly because I figured there might be some players who'd rather not worry about playing the RPS game and just go with an option that doesn't have inherent advantages or disadvantages. Guts seemed most appropriate as the "never give up, never give in" type of ability.

1of3

Validated User
Reading it now. So there are attributes now and they paper-scisscors-rock. I like. Any reason you call them core traits instead? You could have attributes and (defining) traits. That's saving one word many times over. Or if you want to call the attributes traits, you could call those other things just descriptors. This would also offer some clarity later, for example the rules explain that Techs are linked to Traits? - Which type of trait? Probably those attribute thingies as can be seen two pages later.

I like the spotlight rule. It reminds me of XP and leveling in Old School Hack. How do you mark who has taken spotlight at your table?

Beyond Reality

Validated User
That's a good point. I have no particular justification for calling both Traits, other than momentum, so it may very well be a good idea to change that.

As far as the spotlight rules, currently I mainly envision it as a slightly fancy checkbox that can be filled and erased as the Spotlight is taken and becomes available again.

Also, neat fact: two more pages or so and this will be the longest thread in the design subforum.

Beyond Reality

Validated User
I'm working on an...experiment which may not end up going anywhere, but it did already produce one result: I should have a fourth Trait Array: two d8's and two d4's. Not sure what to call that though.

At this point the only reason I don't just give players a pool of points to assign to Traits is that I don't want someone to take the "all d4's and a d12" set up...but I guess I could just give points and set the starting max at a d10.

Top Bottom