• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Secrets of Empire City

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm still here, just both busy and kind of distracted.

Were you still planning on more details for the city? I'm somewhat unsure on the tone I should be aiming at with my PC.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
I'm still here, just both busy and kind of distracted.

Were you still planning on more details for the city? I'm somewhat unsure on the tone I should be aiming at with my PC.
I'm more looking for a usable map, maybe name some city officials, etc. The tone is something that I'm hoping will come more from you, the players. Like I named that a new crime syndicate is a major problem, but how corrupt/inept is the city in dealing with them? Are the cops on the take and willing to protect the gangsters, or are they shining crusaders for justice, or are they mostly keeping their heads down and trying to survive to retirement?

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
I'm not gone. Just trying to figure out how to make a character that works.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
I want to emphasis that your characters do not also have to be ghosts who sneak around things. They can be aliens with shining solar-energy powers. They can be tricky martial artists from cities hidden deep in the mountains. They can be billionaire fashion models with fancy toys and MIT degrees. Don't be afraid to add in a different stylistic element.

t@nya

Asgardian rainbow dragon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One question, I’m thinking Create Objects as a power tag is too broad, right, even with a weakness that you can only do so when you’ve got a computer/video/online game objects?

Instead, you’d create 3 power tags representing different kinds of things you can create, one of which may be an ability to create mundane objects (excluding weapons)

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Alright, I have a superpower concept I've attempted in the past that never really got past character creation with. Basically touch range telekinesis with a quirk, or more specifically a sort of telekinetic animation that can act on hinges, gears, etc, but respects the conservation of momentum and couldn't float something through the air (unless it had propellers). She (or he, but probably she) would appear similar to an Iron man type with a power suit, but rather than being a tech genius would be just alternating what was basically heavy plate armor with telekinesis. If caught without the suit she could still animate mechanical devices, though. Would that work?

Character concept wise, I'm thinking someone from a poor family. After getting powers, rather than trying to use them for villainy or personal gain, she tried to clean up the neighborhood from gangs and drug dealers and kind of gradually scaled up from there as her skills/equipment improved. At first I was kind of conceptualizing her as highschool age but in hindsight that was just a holdover from Masks, so I'm now thinking probably older than that and living on her own, maybe trying to juggle a dayjob to pay the rent with heroing as part of the competing logos/mythos drives.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
One question, I’m thinking Create Objects as a power tag is too broad, right, even with a weakness that you can only do so when you’ve got a computer/video/online game objects?

Instead, you’d create 3 power tags representing different kinds of things you can create, one of which may be an ability to create mundane objects (excluding weapons)
As an individual tag it's too broad, yeah. I'd be fine with, say, "Create Weapons" and "Create Walls" and "Create furniture," though.
Alright, I have a superpower concept I've attempted in the past that never really got past character creation with. Basically touch range telekinesis with a quirk, or more specifically a sort of telekinetic animation that can act on hinges, gears, etc, but respects the conservation of momentum and couldn't float something through the air (unless it had propellers). She (or he, but probably she) would appear similar to an Iron man type with a power suit, but rather than being a tech genius would be just alternating what was basically heavy plate armor with telekinesis. If caught without the suit she could still animate mechanical devices, though. Would that work?

Character concept wise, I'm thinking someone from a poor family. After getting powers, rather than trying to use them for villainy or personal gain, she tried to clean up the neighborhood from gangs and drug dealers and kind of gradually scaled up from there as her skills/equipment improved. At first I was kind of conceptualizing her as highschool age but in hindsight that was just a holdover from Masks, so I'm now thinking probably older than that and living on her own, maybe trying to juggle a dayjob to pay the rent with heroing as part of the competing logos/mythos drives.
So it's not so much that this person moves it through the air as much as she provides motive force? She couldn't make a trumpet flap through the air because a trumpet has no way to do that sort of motion, but she could make a piece of paper fold itself into a paper airplane. Do I have it right?

Top Bottom