• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Seeking Panelists - "ARGs and LARP" (@ Intercon I)

LARP_Chronicles

Interactive Narrativist
Hi all,

I'll be hosting/organizing a panel on "Alternate Reality Games (ARGs) and LARPs" at Intercon I's Thursday "thing" / unconference.

I'm looking for some help. I'm aiming to have the panel be a mix of LARPers and ARGists.

Unfortunately, I'm lacking panelists on the LARP side of the equation.

As such, I'm looking for anyone (attending Intercon I in March) who has:
  1. Participated in an ARG as a player
  2. Participated in an ARG as an actor
  3. Participated in an ARG as a writer/interactive designer/puppetmaster
  4. Used ARGs and LARPs together
  5. Have at least an informed opinion on ARGs

If you're interested in participating, you can leave a response here or post me a message offline.

Eggwhite

Perpetually Befuddled...
Validated User
I would be very interested in this panel, but alas, am on the wrong continent. Panels like this need very badly to be recorded as podcasts or vidcasts, so I can see them!

[Note: I have no real experience of ARGs except for starting to play a couple. Never had time to become fully invested, though. I have, however, considered using an ARG as a lead-in and recruitment tool for some modern horror larps]

Last edited:

LARP_Chronicles

Interactive Narrativist
I would be very interested in this panel, but alas, am on the wrong continent. Panels like this need very badly to be recorded as podcasts or vidcasts, so I can see them!
Catching up on my belated reading....

There is some good news.
  1. The topics of discussion for the panel were done in Powerpoint
  2. One of the panelists videotaped the panel!

I can share the topic notes privately (still waiting for ConCom clearance before working out broader distribution logistics).

The video will take a bit longer. Hopefully, I'll be able to share at some point.

[Note: I have no real experience of ARGs except for starting to play a couple. Never had time to become fully invested, though. I have, however, considered using an ARG as a lead-in and recruitment tool for some modern horror larps]
ARGs are occasionally used as promotional or awareness campaigns.

So, it can work nicely as a prologue to a given LARP.
(It also can work nicely as a thread for players to participate in terms of BGE)

A minor caveat:
I observed a couple of disparate reactions to the ARG panel.

Some people were enthusiastic about what ARGs had done, are doing, and could do.

Others rebuffed the notion with the "LARP is LARP, ARG is just heresy" attitude.

Some were polite about it, some wanted to take the mechanics of ARG and use as a way of doing a LARP (without some of the fundamentals that are at the core of any ARG)

(Which I'm quite sure is like taking a Ferrari engine and trying to install it in a Ford truck, it will function for a short time but both the engine and truck will be ruined.)

Top Bottom