• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
I got confused about which boss we were talking about 😅 I was wondering which Hirata Redux moves you needed to block or jump over.

My strategy for the one in question was fight through the first two phases then use finger whistle after the fire ring forms. For me the big danger was him leaving the ring and charging back in, so preventing that was top priority.

I had other problems but I got past them by the old expedient of dying a lot until I knew how not to die to them most of the time.

Morty

Validated User
The demon is done for, now it's time to throw myself against the other optional boss for a bit more. I've reached the second phase a few more times, so hopefully I'll eventually wear him down. I think I do need to go back for emblems now and then, though. This extra bit of damage does make a difference.

manwhat

Thoroughly mediocre GM.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The demon is done for, now it's time to throw myself against the other optional boss for a bit more. I've reached the second phase a few more times, so hopefully I'll eventually wear him down. I think I do need to go back for emblems now and then, though. This extra bit of damage does make a difference.
If you've progressed your way to the finale of the game then you should get every possible prayer bead too. I assume you already do, but it's worth checking - the last one shows up in your inventory listed as 'Final Prayer Necklace' instead of 'First, Second, Third' etc.

Morty

Validated User
I do have all the prayer necklaces and the Hirata rematch is done as well. All that remains is the final boss.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Jeez, Gyoubu Oniwa did a real number on me. Took me fourteen attempts to finally bring him down.

That being said, I think the experience has managed to effectively hammer home the extent of the game mechanics in a manner that will stick, rather than feeling like I need to relearn it every time I go back.

Whatever I lost fighting the guy, I've mostly gotten back from having figured out to bring that bell I got to the Buddha in the temple, and going back to that pilgrimage where everybody was using fire; fighting my way through those folks is what gave me the sense that I've got the game's rhythm down pat now. That includes using the shuriken a bit more (such as putting together that they're the best way to deal with the giant chickens when they're fluttering about).

It's also nice to finally upgrade my health bar a bit, although I'm holding off on whatever it is that will boost my attack power.

The only fly in the ointment is that all of the dying gave three more characters Dragonrot, although I think I've got things set up for fixing that.

I've also gotten that cool counter attack against thrusts, and the axe for smashing through shields (that I didn't retreat from when I first encountered, and are an absolute pain).

It's all looking good.

Morty

Validated User
I took a break from throwing myself against the final boss and dying to fight the Headless bosses. And, well... I guess I should've fought them earlier, because they went down really easily. Of course they'd still be nigh-invulnerable without divine confetti and their terror status would kill me without the purple gourd and pacifying agent. The underwater ones gave me some trouble because of the awkwardness of underwater combat.

I'm not sure if I'll use their items, since I'm always short on emblems in important fights, but at least I can say I did it.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Having enacted the cure, I get a kick out of how Emma euphemistically refers to the gift for the Sculptor as tea.

Huh, I'm just now recognising the manner in which Emma positively differs from roughly similar characters in prior From Soft games, in that she has greater personal agency and a bit of humour, compared to the likes of the bound Bonfire Maidens.

Anyway, the Hirata Estate has been going well, although that burning temple combined with playtime (and the altercations with shinobi hunters) made me rather tense just before going up to where Juzhou the Drunkard was.

It was funny when I bought information from the broker about the fire tube, and Sekiro carefully said he already knew it. At least the guy gave me a quasi refund.

I went back into another file to test the early game against my new familiarity, and got the first mini-boss rather easily. Knowing to kick while jumping sweeps helped a lot. The lack of dying meant I got to actually see the Sculptor's advice about that bell. I want to see what having fire does for that fight with the Chained Ogre.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Juzhou took a couple of attempts, but I managed to beat him fairly handily.

And then Lady Butterfly proceeded to kick my ass repeatedly.

I do like her style and demeanour, but am not quite enthused about being dependent on a consumable for the fight.

Some of which I wasted due to... confusion about whether it was time to use it yet. :S

I don't normally do such, but at the game's recommendation, I'll go back for her when I've become a bit more powerful.

The manual I got from Tengu might help with that.

Top Bottom