• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Lady Butterfly, it turns out, is much easier if you a) beat horsey boy first and get your upgrades b) use the ressurection mechanic

I had read it was the res mechanic that causes dragonrot and was avoiding it. Turns out Dragonrot is going to happen anyway, res is a thing you're supposed to use.

Njorhg

Validated User
Lady Butterfly, it turns out, is much easier if you a) beat horsey boy first and get your upgrades b) use the ressurection mechanic

I had read it was the res mechanic that causes dragonrot and was avoiding it. Turns out Dragonrot is going to happen anyway, res is a thing you're supposed to use.
Dragonrot happens as long as you die. There seems to be misinformation that it happens when you use resurrections.

Lord Raziere

Banned
Validated User

horsey boy?

I have other people to fight then. I've only gotten two katana generals, a drunk fatso, blind spear guy and a red eyed troll.

Grantanz

Validated User
This game is sorely testing my newly minted rule: for each game I want to buy, I have to finish a game from my backlog first*. At least it will keep the backlog static. Sekiro wasn't really on my radar - I got a couple of promo emails from game stores, and then saw this thread. Popped over to metacritic, and it's (currently) the #1 PC game of 2019. On the watchlist now.

*Bundle offers with unlikely-to-be-repeated prices excepted, naturally.

Argent

aka Jerry Sköld
Validated User

Just reading this gives me anxiety. I guess you´re meant to do replays to be able to get a good ending.

Boris

I am invincible?
Validated User
I figure it's a From game, I'm going to die a lot. So I'm just going to die, rez when it seems helpful to do so and not worry about what Dragon Rot is doing.

Norrec

Validated User
The combat in this game is really fun! Deflecting blows in exciting and feels a lot better than parries in Dark Souls ever did. I just got to the first guy that does sweeps and thrusts (so not very far) but I felt cool when I deflected all his attacks, jumped over his sweep, and slashed him in the face. Even the wolves, wrestling them to the ground in midair like crocodile dundee, is just fun. I'll sit over here with the training guy just beating up on him again and again...

This doesn't feel like Dark Souls at all to me. Taking out stamina is a big deal. You can just keep attacking, dodging, jumping, deflecting whatever you want. It's more about timing than bar-management.

So far, so good.

Oh, and throwing sand in faces! She-she-shaaa! Pocket sand!

Last edited:

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Got to the Ashina Castle boss last night, sadly a bit late to work on him properly. The mini-boss right before is a deflect trainer, trivial once you download the timing (via repeated deaths) - there's a cheese strategy for him but I think it's less reliable and ultimately less useful than just doing the damn deflects.

As for the boss...

Spoiler: Show

The good old "last attempt for the night" magic worked a treat on him and I scored the second deathblow.

...but he doesn't look dead in the cutscene...

...third phase! Literally lightning round!

I went to bed.

Arseny

Validated User
Don't worry about dying - the game may make a scary face about it, but in reality, the penalties are at about as harsh as they are in Dark Souls (which is not much). Dragonrot is (mostly) manageable, so don't let it put pressure on you, especially early in the game.

Spoiler: Show
Basically, later in the game you will be able to get items that allow you to cure ALL afflicted NPCs with one use. The number of these items is limited, but there's enough of them to manage the whole thing. Basically, it's best to use them strategically to maximize the number of cured NPC.

Top Bottom