• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sell me on 3:16

Gregor Hutton

Causing Carnage
I wouldn't force it on anyone, to be honest, but as you say it's an easy flller game that you can kick off with no preparation.

My feeling is that people either want to play it or not. Given that they weren't interested in Starship Troopers either, I wonder if the subject matter really interests them? It might be that they prefer horror or fantasy or something that pushes different buttons.

Oh, the big thing is for it to be about their <i>characters</i> and not just <i>players</i> sitting at a table removing Threat Tokens. Hey, next time pick 10 as the AA. As the GM, you're not there to be going soft on them, y'know?

When running it for new people I switch between giving them an "easy" planet (low AA) followed by a harder (high AA) planet straight after to clue them up. The other option is I go hard from the start and easier planets then become a relief after their baptism of fire.

Mike Montesa

Validated User
3:16 has rocked my socks off every time I've played it. The people I've sat down with to run it have come from various gaming backgrounds and levels of interest, but we've all enjoyed it immensely. If you have the chance to play it, do so. Dismissing this one offhand without even getting a demo is a cryin' shame!

Glenstorm

Retired User
An important point about this game...

It is completely in the Forgeite/Narrativist camp. This is not a game for simulationists, tech-heads or people who like immersion looking for the system to run their next campaign. 3:16, like all games of this type, is all about the metagame.

If you do like this type of game, 3:16 is simply one of the best out there. It's a brilliant piece of game design. Take an indie story game about exploring society, war and the human condition, add in a very simple yet fun combat boardgame, toss in a cardgame with a healthy dose of interpersonal conflict/backstabbing for advancement, melt it all down into a light RPG rule system and pour it onto a framework of shared narration. You can go as heavy or light on the storytelling as you want, as serious or as funny as you want, it's all "working as intended". I'm truly amazed by what the author has done here.

However, this is not a futuristic military simulationist game by any stretch of the imagination, so know what you're getting. (Example. This is probably the only game that has infantry combat as a main subject in which there are no actual defined modifications for weapons. You "level up" your guns to do more damage at different ranges. What that actually entails is up to you, in typical narrative form.)

As a $10 pdf, though, everyone should try this game at least once.

Last edited:

Pandora Caitiff

Goblin Princess
Validated User
It is completely in the Forgeite/Narrativist camp. This is not a game for simulationists, tech-heads or people who like immersion looking for the system to run their next campaign. 3:16, like all games of this type, is all about the metagame.
Which makes it all the more interesting when you reconcile that with it being a competitive game about killing monsters, getting bigger guns and levelling up :D

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
So, I was sold on this last week, and am waiting for my copy to arrive (I'm into books, thank you). But one of the reasons I picked it up was to fill my Roughnecks itch. I gather that, say, powered armor isn't a feature of the game, but how hard would it be to insert something like it into the equipment lists. Which is to say, how easy is it to fiddle with the game?

Ivan Sorensen

Amiga fan
Validated User
The troopers do walk around in powered armour, though its more 40K or "Armor" than Starship troopers.

THat being said, you can fit that into the narrative just fine.

Mike Montesa

Validated User
So, I was sold on this last week, and am waiting for my copy to arrive (I'm into books, thank you). But one of the reasons I picked it up was to fill my Roughnecks itch. I gather that, say, powered armor isn't a feature of the game, but how hard would it be to insert something like it into the equipment lists. Which is to say, how easy is it to fiddle with the game?
Powered armor is totally a part of the game. Every trooper wears a "Mandelbrite" suit, which is power armor. You can embellish it with whatever features you desire.

Glenstorm

Retired User
Why does any of that boring crap make a game "fun"?
Because for him it is fun. For you it is boring crap.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Leave it at that.

Let's not start the "My subjective Opinion is the objective Truth" crap. There's enough of that in a million GNS threads all over the net.

As I said, for $10, this game is worth getting even if it doesn't seem like your cup of tea. It has more crossover appeal then just about any Forgeite Indie out there.

Some people are going to hear "Narrative", shrug their shoulders and walk away without taking a look. That's fine. It's their right, and in this case I think their loss but there's no need to insult them about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom