Sell me on a kitchen sink, DIY wargame!

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
So right now I've got a fun dilemma: there are TONS of great looking minis out there, affordably priced, and I want them to paint.

The downside to this is I also want to play with them, BUT can't do so for all. My group is pretty firmly set in one company's games, and (understandably enough) shouldn't have to deal with my "oooh, shiny!" tendencies. However, they do like home brewing to some exent, even making units for Warmachine/Hordes and Company of Iron.

I'm looking for a set of wargaming rules that:
  • Is okay for skirmish and larger (but not LARGE) army play. For reference, when we play Warmachine/Hordes its usually 25 point games. Company of Iron is usually 20-25 points.
  • Allows you to create your own units.
  • Is relatively easy to learn.
  • Is still tactically/strategically interesting.
  • Doesn't need to be meticulously balanced for competitive games, but should be fine for casual play.
I mean, seriously, if you could do "Rifts: The War Game" with it, that'd be perfect. Fantasy and Sci-Fi and Supers and Historical and... you know?

I've thought about using HERO 6e to come up with something, but no need to reinvent the wheel as it were.

Mister Gone

Six Monkey Slap-Slap
Validated User
Gangfight ? Should hopefully be available in a couple months, but meanwhile you can download a preview. From what I understand they're still tweaking the rules, but it looks really promising. I backed the KS.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Getting a lot of suggestions from the Tabletop Minions group on FB, but I swear some of them didn't read what I was asking for. D'oh.

I've had one person suggest I actual work up my own system which has been occupying my brain for the past two days... *sigh*

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Do you have LEGOs? Mobile Frame Zero should be right up your alley. You take your LEGOs, you build skirmish mecha and they get stats based on what you built. My only caveat is that I'm not sure it's intended for anything bigger than skirmish play.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Downloaded, thank you! Will check out.

Do you have LEGOs? Mobile Frame Zero should be right up your alley. You take your LEGOs, you build skirmish mecha and they get stats based on what you built. My only caveat is that I'm not sure it's intended for anything bigger than skirmish play.
I'm not sure how this fits what I'm looking for. I mean, it looks fun and neat, but not what I was asking for since it doesn't seem to address fantasy I(or supers) in addition to the scifi/mecha.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Downloaded, thank you! Will check out.

I'm not sure how this fits what I'm looking for. I mean, it looks fun and neat, but not what I was asking for since it doesn't seem to address fantasy I(or supers) in addition to the scifi/mecha.
Sorry, missed part of the pitch. Fantasy is theoretically doable with some sets, but yeah, this won't really scale down to human-sized stuff like in supers.

Top Bottom