• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sell me on: a no/light-combat RPG, with qualifications

BrianBloodaxe

Validated User
How well would the books Ka_ge2020 mentioned work with, say, Mongoose Traveller?
I couldn't say for certain but probably pretty well. Other than Traveller New Era the various Traveller editions use very similar notations and scales for recording data. MegaTraveller and Mongoose Traveller are after all both updates of Classic Traveller.

BrianBloodaxe

Validated User
I'm not familiar with Mongoose Traveller but I'm going to disagree with BrianBloodaxe on at least some aspects. I truly don't think that MegaTraveller has a huge amount of "brain footprint." When you begin to use all the design-based stuff like starship creation? Yeah, maybe. But if you're using it straight and RAW--which is fully possible--it's really not that difficult. Plus, your design/pitch is actively avoiding entire subsections of the system (that you can wing if you need to delve into them). In short, you don't need the pages and pages that BrianBloodaxe refers to.

With that said, I can imagine how "people" might think that it's complex. I tend to user higher-complexity systems (e.g., GURPS, EABAv2) because I prefer them. Perhaps that might contextualise my stance with regards to such things.

On the other hand, if someone out there can attest to their compatibility with Mong-Trav, that wouldn't be a bad thing either. :D
I can't argue with anything you have said, no one mechanic in MT is itself complex but there are a lot of rules in there. I think that if you don't already know the system it will take a bit of work to learn, even if all you are learning is which bits to ignore.

Your comment about GURPS and EABAv2 is perhaps relevant though: I would consider GURPS to be the absolute limit for complexity for me and Traveller is near the deep end too.

Ka_ge2020

Validated User
I can't argue with anything you have said, no one mechanic in MT is itself complex but there are a lot of rules in there. I think that if you don't already know the system it will take a bit of work to learn, even if all you are learning is which bits to ignore.
This is one of those points where the "core mechanic" argument frequently used for complex systems is relevant. The core mechanics for MT and TNE are really quite simple when it comes to task resolution etc. For a game that is going to actively avoid combat then application of the specific rules for that becomes less relevant. Instead, the "crunch" becomes relevant in those areas that you want to focus on them and, I would suggest, hand-waving those elements that would embroil you in the rules that you are not interested in (e.g., combat) would work just fine.

Best, though? That's not for me to say.

Your comment about GURPS and EABAv2 is perhaps relevant though: I would consider GURPS to be the absolute limit for complexity for me and Traveller is near the deep end too.
Context is ever important. I offered it just in case Bruce Redux could use it to take my comments and suggestion more--or less--seriously.

(And FWIW, the only games that have killed me in terms of complexity are Dark Heresy (and the 40k RPGs) and FATE. Ain't life weird. :D)

SibKhatru

Validated User
So HQ2e, being just a d20, does have something pretty handy in terms of the NPC stats. Everything depends on the fiction, so the specific problems to be solved are always established by a base target value adjusted for recent successes and/or failures (as you may know). I've been pondering a way to do HQ2e with another way of approaching it, which uses the d20 as usual, but then adds in a negative or positive die that is stepped according to the pass-fail logic.

For example, if a problem has to become tougher due to recent successes, perhaps a scale runs as d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, all as negative scores to the d20 result. One could use masteries to reduce these steps (or rely on the bump mechanic). The same scale of dice adds could run the other direction when there have been a bunch of failures in the recent series of challenges.

I'm not thinking about the probabilities, yet, but it seems like a nifty way to modify HQ2e for people who like the polyhedral variations...

Reminds me, btw, of the Valiant RPG... it uses a d12 base with other added dice against a d20 random target value... wild and crazy IMO, but something to think about as an option.

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
Soundchaser: Interesting Heroquest thought. And, oh, yeah, the Valiant game. I have that, even. Should take another look at it. :)

Shiro

Resplendent and Coniferous
Validated User
Ryuutama hits a lot of your requests (maybe all?), but I think it's still a little shy of a PDF release, if you didn't back the Kickstarter. :(

The entire premise is ordinary townsfolk going on difficult journeys to distant places in a pastoral fantasy world. There's exploration, wonder, helping people out, and occasionally maybe fighting monsters if you want - although finding out what's troubling the monster and helping it so it'll stop attacking people is perfectly in-genre. On many journeys, it's the environment itself that poses the largest problems.

Characters have four stats, rated in polyhedral die steps. You always pick two of them (sometimes the same one twice) and roll two dice to get a result.

There are several travel-oriented rolls with defined results, but besides that the mechanics are simple enough to improvise when dealing with other situations.

There is a focus on equipment, and gearing up properly for the journey ahead. Shopping and resource management is a medium-sized part of the game, but not overwhelming in terms of bookwork or anything. When you start out you often have to buy "used" or "uncool" or "smelly" gear to get the price down, but once you're an established traveller you may end up with "cute" or "sturdy" gear.

NPCs are pretty easy to track; for monsters at least, in addition to the four stats there's just HP, MP, Initiative, Condition, Damage, and Defence. For NPCs, you probably don't need to track even that much unless you expect them to get into combat. There are a few status effects, but they're just keywords with a value (like Poison: 8) – if a character's current Condition is higher than the status value, they aren't affected.

The game uses classes and levels, but there isn't a ton of complexity. The Classes are things like Minstrel, Artisan, or Farmer (Farmers kick ass!). Each Class starts with three special abilities, and you'll gain a few more after a few levels. This isn't really a game of becoming epic heroes, just people who go from ordinary to seasoned travellers.

The game does assume the characters will be travelling in a small group, but it wouldn't be hard to run one or two NPCs if you're running one-on-one. Also, the GM gets a character - a Season Dragon who watches over the party, grows with them, and can intervene with their own special powers!

I've run it a couple of times, but I'm looking forward to further journeys.

Morrius

Banned
There's at least one space exploration PbtA game in production that I'm aware of out there, Uncharted Worlds.

That said, I'd like a good exploration-heavy combat-light PbtA game myself. I'm not sure Dungeon World is the best fit for this kind of game. I've had to invent a couple more moves for this sort of thing.

Asen_G

#3 Anti-Illusionism Squad
Validated User
You, my friend, want Seeker, the roleplaying game:)!

I'm looking forward to running a campaign for my lady love. We've been talking about what we're both interested in, and our interests converge on a campaign involving exploration, investigation, problem-solving, and generally making the world a better place, and we'd likely be perfectly satisfied if there's no bloodshed at all in it. (And if there is, monster smiting would be vastly preferable to doing anything against either natural animals or sentient beings.) In addition, there are a few other constraints on system choice:

* Neither of us likes relying on a single die. It's one of our least favorite things about D&D since 3rd edition; dis/advantage in 5th (which is awesome in many ways) offsets it some but not completely. It's a significant obstacle to choosing Gumshoe or Heroquest, too; if you want to suggest them and can point at alternative dice mechanics for either, though, that'd be awesome.

* Overall, simple but solid mechanics trump both more complicated choices and going freeform, for this purpose. (Over the Edge and Risus are a bit too simple for the purpose, likely.)

* My poor brain tires easily. The fewer numbers I have to keep track of as GM, the better. Heroquest is maybe the ideal in this aspect of play. When you pitch a system for me to consider, please describe how much record-keeping there is for NPCs and stuff.

* Frances actively likes using the variety of polyhedral dice, and I don't mind. A system that does so regularly would be cool.

* Classes and levels aren't off the table, though overall complexity is. D&D 3rd and 4th edition and Pathfinder are too much for this purpose. 5th edition is a real possibility, though I'd like to run something else for her because she's already got a campaign of that and she's often been curious about other games I've worked on, that friends of mine have worked on, and so on.

* Games that have well-bookmarked PDF, ePub, or Mobi versions get a huge advantage in my consideration.

Now, have at it. :)
Why? Here's why!
It's a game where your main enemies are the hate, ignorance, bigotry and self-righteousness of other people. Mechanically, they're best expressed as demons stopping you on your quest to enlightenment.
Violence is an option, but it's not the option. In fact, I'd say it's not the assumed option most of the time, unless you pick a militant philosophy to adhere to.

Robust system
Simple, but solid mechanic
Dicepool
You can use any kind of dice, so feel free to mix and match, even. It's a pair-impair dicepool.
Low overall complexity.
Seeker the Role Playing Game said:
They come from every walk of life. There are humble Christian monks, passionate artists, logical scientists, intense shamans and more. Some studied various philosophies and mystical systems for years before embarking on the path, others just woke up one morning and decided to make a change. They are young and old, rich and poor. Some are powerful and influential. Some are fugitives, on the run from the law.

What they all have in common is that each has decided to throw himself or herself headfirst into the search for wisdom, self-improvement and power. Each has decided that, rather than pursuing one specific dogma, they will travel the world learning from every person and every experience, in essence letting the universe teach them what it will. Each has developed powerful abilities and each has discovered that the world is a much more complicated, much more dangerous and much more wonderful place than they had ever imagined.

A complete role playing game. No other products needed to play.
Uses ORC-L, the lite version of Organic Rule Components, designed for quick character creation and light or live action play.
Play PCs from any background, tradition or philosophical viewpoint.
Each character approaches enlightenment, self-improvement or wisdom in their own unique way, and each gains unique abilities from it.
Contains “Weaponized Honeybees,” a complete introductory adventure.
Although Seekers’ adventures may take them anywhere, extensive information is given on small-town America and the secrets and dangers one may find there.
Here is the link.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_info.php?products_id=99641

Or you can Hoodoo Blues from the same publisher;). It's got the same system in a different setting, although it's double-statted for a crunchier variant of it. The crunchier variant is assumed as the default, which is why I recommended Seeker:D!

Top Bottom