• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sell me on Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
It's much simpler and customizable than any of those games. It uses a unique activation system in which you roll up to 3D6 to gain activations per figure. Failures can allow the enemy to gain actions or initiative. Characters have two stats customized by lots of talents you can buy. Great game.

The Last Conformist

Incompletely useless
Validated User
It's generic, meaning it can accommodate almost any fantasy figures you may have. There are ready-made statlines for a great many things, and a system for statting up whatever is missing.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
Based on the non-advanced version I expect it's very much in the beer and pretzels "wouldn't it be neat if..." space rather than in the "finely tuned strategic competition machine" one.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
So, it’s possible to make some sort of mad mashup game? Space Marines (of some sort) versus fantasy dwarves versus super heroes versus...?

Thane of Fife

Validated User
So, it’s possible to make some sort of mad mashup game? Space Marines (of some sort) versus fantasy dwarves versus super heroes versus...?
I haven't played either the advanced or regular version of Song of Blades and Heroes, but based on experience with other games using the same system...

Figures in the game have two stats (Combat and Quality) and probably some other abilities. I expect that all of these abilities will be fantasy themed, like Bow or Flight or Fireballs or Armor; things like that. So you could do space marines, but you'd probably need to use bow stats to reflect laser rifles or whatever. Also, the average space marine will probably be functionally indistinguishable from a dwarf with a crossbow.

(Personally, I've generally found the associated systems to be dull and wouldn't really recommend SB&H, but certainly some people love it).

Narcisista

Social Justice NPC
Validated User
There are a variety of books using the basic engine, tweaked to different genres. Such a mashup is indeed possible altough the granularity might not be to your liking.

A Space Marine would be something that one would expect more to come from Mutants and death Ray Guns, but all models are defined by (Q)uality (2+ to 6+) and (C)ombat (1-6) with traits adding modifications, so it is possible, with care to mix things different books.

So your Dwarf could be Q: 4+ C:2 Bow, while your Space Marine would be Q:2+ C:6 Laser Rifle; Power Armour. Incidentally, this would make the Space Marine invulnerable to the Dwarf's Crossbow.

Edit: To be clear, I haven't checked ASB&H, but it is specifically geared for Fantasy so it probably wouldn't provide in that book alone the tools for such mashup.

Last edited:

wombatzoner

Validated User
If your interested in modern/sci-fi, the Flying Lead rules from Ganesha would be worth looking at, as they have a lot more detail for ranged combat, grenades, and the like that could be back-ported into an ASBOH game.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Followup time!

Friend of mine is looking at Song of Blades and Heroes, and I'm looking at it again too. He told me that Mutants and Death Ray Guns should be mostly compatible. Anyone mash the two up before?

I'm looking at this and Deadzone, but right now this combo has the lead since we don't need to buy new minis and all that.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I used to like SoBH a lot, but now for skirmishes I prefer Frostgrave (although it doesn't support the combo mix of fantasy and sci-fi you seem to be interested).

The facebook group for the game is super active, so you can search for more answers there:

Top Bottom