• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sell me on an Asian fantasy MMORPG

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have been watching Log Horizon lately, and it has thoroughly whetted my appetite to play an Asian fantasy MMORPG.

To clarify, I mean a fantasy MMORPG which was produced in Japan or South Korea or China or some other country in East Asia. Games like:

Lineage II
Aion
Tera
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XIV

But I know very little about these games other than the women in Tera are very scantily clad. So lay it on me, VGO. What is there to like and dislike about these games (or other games I am not aware of)? Which one should I choose? Which one has the largest RPGNet contingent?

Thanks in advance!

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I've played a little of Lineage II and Aion. Uhm... they're conventional MMOs for the most part. LII prides itself on PVP and large scale PVP at that. I like the fact there's no factions, so its all player organized. There are rewards IIRC for controlling territory, and I think there are ways for people who aren't in the affiliated clans to get involved. They changed up their website so I'm not sure where the info would be no over-viewing it all. Its an Unreal Engine 2 game, so I don't know how well it runs on modern hardware (ie, lack of optimization, not sure there's a 64-bit version). They have a Classic L2 as well, but that might be back when it was a true Korean grinder. Not sure if its solo friendly... think it was made so when it went free to play?

Aion is more WOW-like with two factions but again has a strong PVP element. Beautiful game, and the soundtrack is nice.

Might want to add Blade and Soul to your list if you've got Tera there. Both are more actiony, but BS is kung-fu coolness and was pretty fun if I remember correctly. Both are supposed to be fun?

edit: Tera has Cheese Steak (Cheese Cake + Beef Cake = really pretty/beautiful male models) if you're so inclined.

Balac

Validated User
Does the payment model matter to you? FFXIV is the most polished and well supported of the games you mentioned by a large margin but it is a more traditional game + monthly subscription. I would recommend giving the free trial a shot, it's very beginner friendly and a decent number of people around here play it.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Also, with FFXIV - one character can do everything - they can switch between all classes, and do all forms of crafting and gathering.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Also, with FFXIV - one character can do everything - they can switch between all classes, and do all forms of crafting and gathering.
Didn't they have a weird model where you had a lower initial subscription but then had to buy/rent extra character slots? Or was that XI?

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
FFXIV does have an optional 'Entry' subscription tier where you can have a maximum of one character per server, and eight characters total. The 'Standard' tier lets you have eight characters per server, and forty total. On the one hand, if you don't want alts (and you honestly can do everything on one character), Entry is probably sufficient. On the other hand, the savings is only two dollars a month, and you can actually get the same discount by buying a 180-day pass instead of paying monthly.

I haven't played any other Asian-developed MMOs, but I can attest that FFXIV is extremely high-quality, both in gameplay and in story. (The latest expansion, Shadowbringers, has blown a lot of people away -- it's not just good for an MMO or good for a video game, but just plain good, no qualifiers.) The only qualification I have is that it's got a bit of a slow start, again in both gameplay and story. The gameplay at early levels was designed to ease Japanese players into a type of MMO they hadn't really experienced before, and the story was pretty good in concept, but shackled to some fetch quest structure that they hadn't learned to write around yet. The gameplay improves as you approach the initial level cap of 50, getting more complex, while the story really starts to take off with the first expansion, Heavensward.

Still, the trial is free and should give a good first approximation of what the game is like, and even if the story doesn't match what comes later, I still think it's very solid. If you have specific questions about it, there's an active thread that's usually on the first page of the forum.

Goodsport

Adventurer
Validated User
I heard that there's also Black Desert Online from South Korea.

Sorry that I can't contribute more to this thread as all my MMO's tend to be American or European (WoW, TESO, GW2, STO, SWL, RDO, etc.), though I've recently been considering giving FFXIV a try.

-G

Last edited:

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
FFXIV does have an optional 'Entry' subscription tier where you can have a maximum of one character per server, and eight characters total. The 'Standard' tier lets you have eight characters per server, and forty total. On the one hand, if you don't want alts (and you honestly can do everything on one character), Entry is probably sufficient. On the other hand, the savings is only two dollars a month, and you can actually get the same discount by buying a 180-day pass instead of paying monthly.

I haven't played any other Asian-developed MMOs, but I can attest that FFXIV is extremely high-quality, both in gameplay and in story. (The latest expansion, Shadowbringers, has blown a lot of people away -- it's not just good for an MMO or good for a video game, but just plain good, no qualifiers.) The only qualification I have is that it's got a bit of a slow start, again in both gameplay and story. The gameplay at early levels was designed to ease Japanese players into a type of MMO they hadn't really experienced before, and the story was pretty good in concept, but shackled to some fetch quest structure that they hadn't learned to write around yet. The gameplay improves as you approach the initial level cap of 50, getting more complex, while the story really starts to take off with the first expansion, Heavensward.

Still, the trial is free and should give a good first approximation of what the game is like, and even if the story doesn't match what comes later, I still think it's very solid. If you have specific questions about it, there's an active thread that's usually on the first page of the forum.
These are some very fine and compelling reasons to give FFXIV a try. I definitely like the FF series, love the aesthetic, I actually like slow starts in an MMO (because I'm never going to get to the top of the food chain, so I like to have as much fun as possible at the lower levels), and I don't mind a monthly fee.

So, naturally, I downloaded Tera Online instead.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it's because I am fairly certain that I will like Final Fantasy XIV, so I don't have burning curiosity about it. Whereas I have no idea what to expect with Tera Online, so my curiosity about it exceeded my curiosity about FFXIV.

Plus, frankly, I was in the mood for a little cheesecake.

FFXIV will grab my attention one day, though. Mark my words.

edit: Tera has Cheese Steak (Cheese Cake + Beef Cake = really pretty/beautiful male models) if you're so inclined.
You ain't kidding here. Male power fantasies and trophy waifus ahoy!

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Playing a Priest (healer class obviously) in Tera Online.

Conducting a quest which involves extracting a friendly spy from hostile territory. Spy gets mortally wounded on the way out. Scripted sequence follows.

<NPC> Not...gonna make it...
<AB> I'm a priest!
<NPC> Getting...dark!
<AB> I can *heal* you!
<NPC> It's...too late...for me.
<AB> I *live* for this shit!
<NPC> You've...got to warn...Hendry!
<AB> YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I GOT THIS
<NPC> So...c-c-c-cold.
<AB> LIST OF HEALING SPELLS LONG AS MY RIGHT ARM I TELL YOU WHAT
* NPC dies

Against scripted sequences the gods themselves contend in vain.

Top Bottom