• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sell me on an Asian fantasy MMORPG

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Also, I like the Thanalan/Ul'dah dungeon portion of the storyquest. "An old dynasty made slaves out of these big monsters. The monsters revolted and the dynasty caused a cave-in that trapped them in the lowest portion of the mine. They've been down there for centuries! Such a terrible fate!"

"And now they're out and running loose and we need you to go kill them."

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One thing that becomes clear even just in the 1-15 main quests is that each of the city states has its own history of sins and troubles, and none of them have completely dealt with them. Whether it's Gridania maintaining a harsh, arbitrary attitude towards outsiders because the forest's elementals might literally kill everyone if they don't, or Limsa Lominsa making treaties with the kobolds and then being unable to crack down on settlers and pirates breaking those treaties, they've all got problems. Copperbell Mines is an excellent example: yes, what happened to the hecatoncheires was terrible, and a certain amount of Ul'dah's current prosperity is still based on their legacy, but on the other hand, the people who did it to them are all centuries dead, and even the dynasty that did it is long out of power, and the hecatoncheires aren't interested in negotiating peace, just smashing everyone to let out their rage. Going down to kill them isn't exactly a great thing, but there aren't really any other better options available at the moment.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's the Watsonian perspective, sure.

From a Doylist perspective, it's amusing to me that the writers painted the hecatoncheires as tragic, sympathetic figures and then had us go kill them. That shades the quest into "morally grey" territory for me, but it's clear the writers themselves don't think so.

To be clear, I think it's funny that they did that. I'm not over here seething with outrage or anything. I think it's silly and I am highly amused.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Speaking of amusing, the level 20 Marauder quest features one of those cutscenes which implies the character was struggling and in terrible danger when, in fact, I was effortlessly clearing MOBs left and right and never got below 98% health.

Quest requires you to kill a bunch of critters, which I did. Then after I killed about 15-18 critters, there's a cutscene where the Marauder guildmaster charges in out of nowhere to kill three.

"Oh, Guildmaster! It's a good thing you showed up just in time!"

Then later at the quest denouement:

ASIDE FROM THE SINGLE MARAUDER WHO WAS DOING JUST THAT, you mean?

Seriously, I love this shit.

Goodsport

Adventurer
Validated User

Speaking of amusing, the level 20 Marauder quest features one of those cutscenes which implies the character was struggling and in terrible danger when, in fact, I was effortlessly clearing MOBs left and right and never got below 98% health.

Quest requires you to kill a bunch of critters, which I did. Then after I killed about 15-18 critters, there's a cutscene where the Marauder guildmaster charges in out of nowhere to kill three.

"Oh, Guildmaster! It's a good thing you showed up just in time!"

Then later at the quest denouement:

ASIDE FROM THE SINGLE MARAUDER WHO WAS DOING JUST THAT, you mean?

The slightly wooden dialogue in those pics isn't too surprising considering that they're likely Japanese-to-English translations done in Japan, and in all honesty it's not too bad. :)

Still, it somewhat reminds me a bit of what Harrison Ford jokingly told George Lucas during the filming of Star Wars (now called Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) of the movie's dialogue:

"George! You can type this shit, but you sure can't say it! Move your mouth when you're typing!"
:D

-G

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The slightly wooden dialogue in those pics isn't too surprising considering that they're likely Japanese-to-English translations done in Japan, and in all honesty it's not too bad. :)
And then later you get upgraded to "every third phrase is 'must needs'"!

Top Bottom