• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sell me on Conan! as seen in the current Bundle of Holding.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Obligatory link:

I do like Mophedius' Infinity, even if I've not had a chance to run it. But, from what I understand, 2d20 is like peanut butter so you can get smooth, crunchy, extreme crunchy, and DIY crunchy (ie, bunch of peanuts), with Infinity on the crunchy end of things.

Can you tell me more about it? :D

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
Conan is a later iteration of the 2d20 system (despite coming out before Infinity!). So the presentation of the game is better, it's a smoother experience and it's (very) slightly less crunchy. It doesn't have a hacking sub-system for example, gear isn't as important, buying stuff is simpler - but then, you'd expect all that just from the genre switch. And the replacements for those sub-systems (sorcery, alchemy and such) are less of their own overlay.

But when I call Conan less crunchy, I'm not not talking about the difference between Infinity and John Carter or Infinity and Star Trek. Or even the differences between Infinity and Mutant Chronicles! Conan and Infinity are about the same level. Conan's just a bit more polished as an experience. So if you loved Infinity, you'll likely love Conan too.

Random Task

Substandard Henchman
Validated User
How useful do people think this stuff is as source material if I wanted to use GURPS Conan?

Tensen01

Go, Play; For Justice!
Validated User
Obligatory link:

I do like Mophedius' Infinity, even if I've not had a chance to run it. But, from what I understand, 2d20 is like peanut butter so you can get smooth, crunchy, extreme crunchy, and DIY crunchy (ie, bunch of peanuts), with Infinity on the crunchy end of things.

Can you tell me more about it? :D
Conan is a about on par with Infinity but slightly less crunchy, mostly because it doesn't have the Infowar mechanics in it. Crunch-wise it's: MC, Infinity, Conan, Star Trek, John Carter.

If you're already familiar with Infinity you shouldn't have any problem with Conan, though the way that Damage Dice are done is different. There's no longer any base damage, it's all dice. Also, you only ignore 3 & 4. 5 & 6 are now 1 dmg + Quality activation (Effects).

Momentum and Heat (Now called Doom) work exactly the same, except Conan doens't have the "Create an Obstacle" usage.

Beyond those differences and just the difference in setting and the setting trapping, it's basically the same as Infinity.

tomas

Validated User
How useful do people think this stuff is as source material if I wanted to use GURPS Conan?
I find the source material to be pretty darn good, but a hefty portion of each book is devoted to presenting the mechanics behind the new stuff. The non-mechanical stuff adds flavor and depth to the setting and pretty much stays within the parameters of Howard's writing. I find it a whole lot better than the stuff Mongoose put out.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
How organized is it? Infinity is criticized for being a bit of a discombobulated mess.

harlokin

Sinister Henchman
Validated User
It's less bad, I think mainly because equipment (which was particularly nightmarish in Infinity) is much less important to Conan characters, and there is considerably less of it as a result.

Tensen01

Go, Play; For Justice!
Validated User
How organized is it? Infinity is criticized for being a bit of a discombobulated mess.
It is Infinitely(Pun not intended) better organized. Weapon descriptions are actually in the same section as the weapon tables!! But it still has a few issues, but every game has a couple, and it's no worse than most.

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have been on the fence about this game for a while. Sounds like a great opportunity to get into it.

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
We write it with Howard first, using Howard scholars to check the material. Nothing after Howard is included unless we invent it with the scholars. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom