• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sell me on Conan! as seen in the current Bundle of Holding.

Hunter 21

Validated User
So, I just bought this, having it call me Adventurer and give a thousand thanks for helping charity made me feel pretty good. (This is my first Bundle of Holding, had I known it was helping charity I would've got into it sooner. :))

Selling... Um, hrm, Well, It's Conan, that'd be a selling point personally, it seems to be well put together and have a solid ruleset, the art has fighting women in practical armament who're in roles of command and on the field and in many other professions. (This is one of the things that made me want to buy the line, seeing the lady mercenary commander in plate either negotiating a contract or planning strategy set a really cool tone in my head.) The art is also very pretty.

It's got Dog Brothers in it and you can never go wrong with a few ranks of hardy Dog Brothers at your back.

Last edited:

MatchstickUK

RPGnet Member
Validated User
In case anyone is on the fence about this deal, I believe BoH have just rolled out a feature that allows you to buy the basic bundle, then if you like it you can just pay the difference to upgrade to the bonus deal

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
So, I just bought this, having it call me Adventurer and give a thousand thanks for helping charity made me feel pretty good. (This is my first Bundle of Holding, had I known it was helping charity I would've got into it sooner. :))

Selling... Um, hrm, Well, It's Conan, that'd be a selling point personally, it seems to be well put together and have a solid ruleset, the art has fighting women in practical armament who're in roles of command and on the field and in many other professions. (This is one of the things that made me want to buy the line, seeing the lady mercenary commander in plate either negotiating a contract or planning strategy set a really cool tone in my head.) The art is also very pretty.

It's got Dog Brothers in it and you can never go wrong with a few ranks of hardy Dog Brothers at your back.
I wrote that one, Conan the Mercenary.

Witness123

Validated User
I am considering purchasing the two basic level bundles. However, looking over the quickstart and another free supplement, I am concerned that several skills (e.g. Craft, Lore, Thievery), maybe too broad for my tastes or that something is missing from the two free products to give me a sense of how skills can be fined tuned. I am also wary that there is no perform skill for dancing and playing instruments.. How would the game differentiate between the following thieving characters?

Mouse: Mouse is an urchin living on the streets of a city in Aquilonia. He is quick, but not Acrobatic. Due to his relatively small size and slender frame, he is great at sneaking into and out of places by squeezing through narrow spaces and escaping bonds. He is a skilled liar (but not at all intimidating), stealthy, and par excellence as both a cutpurse and pickpocket. He is also possesses great knowledge of street life in his city and can navigate life on the streets. However, he has no skill in detecting or disabling traps nor is he skilled in picking locks or forging documents. In noble society he would be a fish out of water.

Elanna: Elanna is the youngest daughter of a noble. She is educated having been taught history, religion, a musical instrument, singing reading/writing and language. She is also knowledgeable about navigating court life, diplomacy, and is trained in painting, embroidery and weaving (but not other crafts such as metal working). Over the years, she has been breaking into the room of guests visiting her father's home, and stealing a coin or two or small items that nobody will miss as well as reading journals and documents. As a result, she has become a skilled at picking locks, stealth, lying (convincingly denying her thievery), and has taught herself to forge written documents. However, she has no skill or training at cutting purses, picking pockets, or sleight of hand. She is somewhat shy and non-imposing (not intimidating) and is not particularly skilled at climbing either. Unlike Mouse whom has no knowledge of navigating noble society, but is streetwise, Elanna is not streetwise but is comfortable in noble society.

Edwin: Edwin is the eldest son of a powerful merchant. Like Elana, he is educated having studied astronomy, history, logic, philosophy, religion, mathematics, music, reading/writing and is trained to speak multiple languages. Bored with his life, he would sneak out at night and break into businesses and dwellings for a thrill. He also would spend time in seedy areas where he made contacts and connections (e.g. fences). Over time, he became quite skilled at climbing, stealth, opening locks and finding/disarming traps. Eventually, he caught the attention of the city's thieves' guild whom honed him into an elite cat burglar. Despite his training, he has never developed skill as a cutpurse, pick pocket, or forger. Given his dual life, Edwin is able to navigate the social circles of both the upper society of the city and the streets.

Last edited:

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
What do people who have the books think about the Conan Essentials: Bonus Collection? For an extra $16 or so above the Starter Collection, you get 4 books: Ancient Ruins and Cursed Cities, Book of Skelos, Horrors of the Hyborian Age, and Nameless Cults. Do you find that these are very useful in play?

Francis Helie

RPGnet Member
Validated User
What do people who have the books think about the Conan Essentials: Bonus Collection? For an extra $16 or so above the Starter Collection, you get 4 books: Ancient Ruins and Cursed Cities, Book of Skelos, Horrors of the Hyborian Age, and Nameless Cults. Do you find that these are very useful in play?
Horrors of the Hyborian age is well made, good list of monsters, some fun templates to create variations on monsters.

Book of Skelos is very useful, if you have sorcerers onboard, it adds interesting material, spells, wonders and the like.

Nameless Cults. It has great details on the various beliefs of Hyboria, gods, demons and elder things. It has the most pure setting details compared to the other books. Very useful, if you want more on religions.

Ancient ruins: To me the weakest of the bunch, some interesting locations, but it is not as essential as the other three. But for the equivalent of 4 bucks, way worth it. It is a great collection for 16 $.

The Conan game is well worth it, fun system, great supplement, definitely one of the best Kickstarter I have involved in as a backer.

Top Bottom