• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sell me on Conan! as seen in the current Bundle of Holding.

Desert_Ranger

I die free
Validated User
I’m curious about the stuff in the second bundle (the “Hyborian Ways”). It seems like a collection of splat books, which in my experience, are sometimes a mixed bag at best. Anyone have experience with these? Useful? Critical? Situationally helpful?

harlokin

Sinister Henchman
Validated User
I’m curious about the stuff in the second bundle (the “Hyborian Ways”). It seems like a collection of splat books, which in my experience, are sometimes a mixed bag at best. Anyone have experience with these? Useful? Critical? Situationally helpful?
Both Conan The Thief, which focuses on Arabian Nights style roguery in Zamora, and Jewelled Thrones, which is a collection of adventures, are excellent books.

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
That's exciting news. Can you tell us when those will be announced, or their names or content? :D
Some are on the Kickstarter page, IIRC. There's a kind of "Conan's 11" heist campaign, one called The Shadow of the Sorcerer, and a Pirate-themed one. Those won't be until the core books are done, though.

Kurt McMahon

Academic Ninja
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The utility of any given Conan the Whatever book probably depends rather heavily on the type of campaign that you’re intending to run. As I mentioned, I’ve been getting the most use out of Conan the Mercenary, but that’s because my PCs are currently mercenaries and the adventures that I’ve run so far have taken place in regions covered by that book.

Even just a few sessions into the campaign I’ve used:
  • The additional archetypes, talents and skills info for mercenary characters (in fact, two of my PCs chose the Champion archetype from that book)
  • The gazetteer entries for Koth, Khoraja, and various cities in Shem
  • Encounters stats for Shemite and Khorajan soldiers, Free Company mercenaries, and a few of the Khorajan NPCs
  • Looting tables
  • Info on Hyborian mercenary companies
  • The skirmish system for larger scale battles
  • The weapons stats for siege engines (I’ll be running a siege next session)
  • The information on Akbitanan steel (last session one of the PCs killed an enemy champion with an Akbitanan steel broadsword)
Which is a big chunk of the content of that book, so I feel like I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth out of it.

However, if you’re planning on running a pirate campaign or having your PCs start out as thieves in Zamora, you may not have nearly as much use for that stuff as I did.

Jim Hague

Foreign Agent
Validated User
If you've got any questions about Book of Skelos, Horrors of the Hyborian Age, or Ancient Ruins and Cursed Cities, ask away!

Top Bottom