• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Sell me on D&D Ghostwalk

Pax

Banned
I can't speak for the original poster, but personally I'd like to understand more about why people dislike the setting - "its th suxxorz" certainly earns bonus points for brevity, but perhaps a bit more substance is called for here...?
Indeed. At least you have the honesty to say "never read it, sorry" - those two folks? One can only presume their lackof reasons to acquire teh book are rooted in similar, if not identical, levels of ignorance as to the contents of the book in question.

As to comments about not losing levels? That's completely untrue; there isn't a single sentence anywhere in the book which I can find to even suggest such a thing. Here, in fact, is what happens, step by step:

• Bob, the Human Fighter, dies (race is important 'cause not all creatures produce Ghosts);
  • Ghost-Bob appears on the ethereal plane, with no immediate loss of level;
  • He can make a Will Save immediately, and every minute thereafter, to Manifest onto the Material Plane (GWCO Ghosts aren't dual-planar like MM ghosts). The DC is 16;
  • When he succeeds, he manifests as an Incorporeal Ghost, and can continue adventuring in that state;
  • As a result of these post-mortem adventures, Ghost-Bob can even gain levels - but is restricted to two possible classes that are specific to ghosts like him;
  • When the party gets back to civilisation, they (or Ghost-Bob himself) can arrange for resurrection magics to be applied;
  • THESE SPELLS WORK AS NORMAL - including possible level loss ... the only difference is, having Ghost-Bob on hand means the time spent AS Ghost-Bob doesn't count against how long Bob has been dead;
  • Additionally, any levels Ghost-Bob picked up in the Eidolon or Eidoloncer classes can (but don't HAVE to) be converted to any other class-levels Bob would qualify for, in life.
  • [Vox_Dramatis] Bob ... LIVES ... again ...!! [/Vox_Dramatis]

And that's it. All of it. Entirely. The whole shebang.

The step I have the all-caps sentence in? Note, level loss still occurs. Ergo, Ghost-Bob may choose to find a secure place to store his corpse in, while adventuring to gain enough funds to afford a spell that doesn't cost a level.

OTOH, if he spends TOO long as a ghost, and winds up with more levles gaine post-mortem than pre-mortem? True Afterlife, here he comes - wether he wants to or not. IOW, "standard D&D assumptions vis-a-vis Death and Resurrection re-assert themselves".

Karanov

GAIA subsystem
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The game can be as dark or humour filled as you like. While resurrection etc. are easier within the bounds of Manifest and it can thus be a "oh bugger, I died" situation you can certainly play up the horrific aspects of being a ghost - trapped in the mutilated form you were left in once the orcs finished with you and constantly being pulled away from the lands of the living and towards the afterlife.
Hmmm... even at it's most dark it's still not a bad place to die compared to Wraiith or Orpheus, for example. In those games there's simply no way back. Once you're dead you're dead... that's it. Even in Orpheus a projector might astrally project as a ghost to return to his body later... but once his body is dead, he's stuck. Different genre and all that, of course. As I said... could be fun, just not my cup of tea. But to be honest, that last sentence applies to D&D 3.5 in general.

And they should never have given into the pressure exerted by WotC to include a detailed description of the afterlife. The actual faith of what lies beyond death... beyond the realm of ghosts should remain a mystery. In all fairness, the designers did admit they didn't want to add that section at the time.

Willow

Awesome Adventuress
As to comments about not losing levels? That's completely untrue; there isn't a single sentence anywhere in the book which I can find to even suggest such a thing.
I don't have the text on me, but I believe it is an effect of the Manifest zone.

Of course, I see this as a feature to the setting, not a bug.

Willow

Awesome Adventuress
Note that for Ghost-Bob the Ghost fighter to do stuff, he's going to need ghost feats or ghost magic items, so he's not able to continue on as if nothing at all happened. So it's not a complete "get-out-of-death-free" card.

Pax

Banned
True, Willow, true. But ... I'd rather expect such characters to, generally, spring the extra money for Ghost-Touch versions of their gear - at least, the most important parts of it (a fighter's weapon, for example; the wizard's spellbook and spell components, the cleric's holy symbol, etc).

^_^

As for the text - if it's there, it's hidden and buried, 'cause I went looking for it ...

sim_james

Hello Mr. Horus!
The setting is bare-bones but pretty good. It's a selection of mostly human nations with some distinct cultures and a traditional D&D monster as the primary campaign bad guys (oddly, one that has nothing to do with ghosts - the rationale is reasonable but I wonder why they were picked).

Unfortunately the map was mistakenly dropped from the book - I made my own, and the official version was available as a PDF on the Wizards website.

The rules for playing a ghost are reasonable - basically, you follow a dedicated ghost class, and gain the ghostly powers of your choice through feat trees. If your character is raised you have the option of converting those ghost levels into levels of an existing character class.

If you wanted to run Wraith for D20 modern, using the feats from ghostwalk would be a good start,

Pax

Banned
Do you have a link to the official one? All I can find is the one with no place-names, in the Gallery ...

EDIT TO ADD: and as far as converting Ghost classes to non-Ghost classes: one campaign (PbP, ended before we got to that point), I actually PLANNED for my character, a Sorceror, to die, spend some time as a Ghost ... and then come back - and use the conversion (called "Life Epiphany") to pick up levels of Blood Magus. Very thematically apt, I thought. Still do, too.

Willow

Awesome Adventuress
Here's the rule about raising the dead. It's on page 78, under "Magic in Manifest" and the subheading of, well, "Raising the Dead."

Because of the proximity of the Veil of Souls, anyone brought back to live in Manifest via Raise Dead, Resurrection, or True Ressurection does not lose a leel or a Constitution point as described in the Player's Handbook.

Pax

Banned
Huh. Never saw that before.

You'd've thought, though, that they'd've put at least a MENTION of that, under the entry for the actual spell, Raise Dead ...

Top Bottom