• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Sell me on Esper Genesis

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
So, I just discovered Espeer Genesis thanks to another thread.

I'm downloading the free basics, but if I've learned anything its that the basic version can be misleading compared to the full book. Had I known the Pathfinder Beginner Box was more like 5e than Pathfinder Core? I would've never bought full-lead Pathfinder.

So, about me: I like sci-fi. I'm okay with levels and classes. I prefer lower-reference games if possible. I like 5e. Uhm... that's all for now O_O

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
I don't know what "lower-reference" means but Esper Genesis IS 5th Ed reskinned for sci-fi.
It really comes off to me as Mass Effect the RPG but no license. Mind you, that is what made me fall in love with it.
The New Year New Game deals on DTRPG has the bundle deal for only $9.99. The regular PDF is $25 or so.
So, for the low price of ten bucks you can get the core book pdf and decide off of that on investing in the hardcover.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I found Pathfinder to be high reference - lots of things to constantly look up. Magic users in D&D are a bit reference heavy IMO but manageable if players have their own PHB or can share one. HERO is high crunch, but almost no referencing the book during play.

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
Right, got it.
I haven't played EG yet, but it seems fairly straight forward, and maybe mid-reference? I really can't tell. YMMV, all that jazz....

Foxworthy

Cheesesteak Aficionado
Validated User
It's on the same scale as 5e on reference scale right now, though at times it feels a bit light on completeness without the Threats Database (Enemies book) and Master Technicians Guide (Suppose to have the expanded ship rules). I tend to use 5e stat block for enemies and just switch weapons in and out a lot.

It does have a big Mass Effect feel to me, which I like. And as Tango said the Drive-Thru bundle is a great price and comes with a few adventures as well as the core rule book.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
The Core Manual is equivalent to the PHB and self contained as such. You will likely want the Threats Manual and the Master Technician’s Guide when released, for adversaries and further details like enchanced tech, starship creation etc, much as you would the MM and DMG for D&D. There is a free Basic GM’s Guide available at the moment.

Esper Genesis is a comprehensive reskin of 5e for space opera. If you like 5e, you will like Esper Genesis, but it’s not just D&D in space.

Crimson Carcharodon

Formerly 'CrimsonCarcharodon'
Validated User
Could you buy it and have all the rules you needed to play a 5e game without also having the actual 5e PHB?
Yes, ish. You wouldn't have the D&D classes/races. No elves, dwarves, etc. And no bard, barbarians, clerics, etc. Esper Genesis has their own sci-fi takes on classes, but I've only done a cursory look through so far. But if you combine Esper Genesis with the 5E Basic rules and/or the SRD, you could run a D&D game.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
I am not sure why you would need D&D races and classes in Esper Genesis. Yes, you can add them if you want them, but that doesn’t make the book any less contained.

Top Bottom