• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Sell Me On] Final Fantasy XIV

Castille

MetaTemporal Adventurer
Validated User
Well, I've bought this for the PS4... and apparently it's a subscription game. I'm mildly miffed I didn't see anything about that before buying it because I wouldn't have touched it. But hopefully it is worth it. I really want this game to be worth it, it's my first entry into the FF franchise. I've read online that the reason for subscription fees is the new content that is continually being made for it, but I play a lot of Neverwinter Online -which is totally free- and new content comes out several times a year.
Any tips & tricks for a new PS4 player? I love the look of the Mi'qote so that will be my first character. Hopefully a rogue or mage of some kind.
Oh, if anyone is in Australia in this thread, what server is good? Japan is closer but I don't know if it will have English-speakers on it? For some reason the preliminary choice when setting up my account was Europe, which is odd since Nth America actually works better with our country's undersea cable.

Andrensath

Social Justice Valkyrie
Validated User
Not actually in Australia but close: I haven't had any real issues with playing on an NA server (Faerie, which hosts the RPGnet guild "Free Company", if that makes a difference). Not tried any Japan ones, tho, so can't speak to the Anglophone population on those.

As for classes, you can't start as a rogue, but can unlock the class once you finish your level 10 starter class quest. Once unlocked, switching between classes is instantaneous and free outside combat (instances).

Castille

MetaTemporal Adventurer
Validated User
Hah, someone from my hometown. Yay! Also: yay there is an RPG.net presence. Hmmm, is chat text or voice in this game? Or just use the PS4 chat?

Andrensath

Social Justice Valkyrie
Validated User
Just text in-game. Discord is the most popular voicechat client afaict.

(I don't have a PS4, so no idea how chat on that operates.)

Stormfalcon

Just slumming
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just text in-game. Discord is the most popular voicechat client afaict.

(I don't have a PS4, so no idea how chat on that operates.)
Discord would be your best bet. PS4 (the console, that is, not the PS4 version of FF XIV) does have voice chat, but only with other PS4 players. No cross-chat with PC users, unfortunately.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Discord would be your best bet. PS4 (the console, that is, not the PS4 version of FF XIV) does have voice chat, but only with other PS4 players. No cross-chat with PC users, unfortunately.
Yeah, I wish I'd gotten it on the PC now, but the PS4 Pro runs it really well too so it seems a needless expense.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Moderator Text:

After some discussion we have decided to treat spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War the way we treat Star Wars spoilers.

This is not a new policy for Marvel films, rather this specific film feels like an event a long time in the coming, to the point the people involved have been pleading with fandom to not spoil it. We rather agree with them. It is possible the same policy will be in place for Avengers 4, but no, we don’t plan to have it for the other films.

So the simple version:

If you spoil the new Avengers film we are going to ban you.
Not a brief suspension, you will be going bye-bye for some time.
This will be conducted under the same rules as The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, where a staff member will start the official movie spoiler thread and there will be no spoilers in any other thread including long term rumor threads.

Also this:

Additionally we will be closing the MCU spoiler thread for a few days to let people adjust and not post premiere spoilers in it. No more Avengers spoilers should be in that thread going forward. An Avengers 4 spoiler thread, designed for rumors that might spoil Avengers 3, will be opened subject to the same rules as the Avengers 3 film spoiler thread.

Very important details: We the staff don't want to be spoiled, either.

Do not include spoilers in reports. The automated system will include links to the pertinent post and thread; if you are reporting something where a spoiler is part of the context of the report, say the specific context is spoilery and do your best to identify the issue without including spoilers in the report. If a staffmember gets spoiled by a report, the reporting person is going to be sanctioned.

Yes we will allow spoiler threads that are explicitly and clearly marked as such, but we are to let a staff member start the first spoiler thread. (I don't know if any of us will make opening day.) Pertinent information: last time the anti-spoiler policy was in effect for several months. Assume the strict spoiler policy is in force until/unless we explicitly say otherwise.

Do not be alarmed if you are seeing this in a thread where it is a non sequitur. We're cross-posting it all over the place so that everyone sees it. We consider this necessary because it is a new temporary rule that will get people significant suspensions

Andrensath

Social Justice Valkyrie
Validated User
Anyone know if it's possible to bring party members along for quest-specific instances? I'm having trouble with the one for "Return of the Bull", and I suspect that it's basically impossible for me to do solo given the requirements.

bv728

Was he a violent man?
Validated User
Anyone know if it's possible to bring party members along for quest-specific instances? I'm having trouble with the one for "Return of the Bull", and I suspect that it's basically impossible for me to do solo given the requirements.
No, it's solo only. Failing a couple of times goes grant The Echo I believe, boosting all numbers in your favor, but that one generated a fairly high justified complaint level as I recall.

Andrensath

Social Justice Valkyrie
Validated User
Yeah, the problem isn't the numbers (at least not so far), it's that I just can't move fast enough to keep up with all the goddamn aether spheres that get pumped out.

Top Bottom