Sell me on Keyforge

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
So, I'm seeing stuff about it, and thought it was sort of gimmicky until I read a review on Ars. So, now I'm actually interested.

I like Magic: The Gathering but hate "the chase." I like deckbuilding games a lot, like DC, Puzzle Strike, Ascension, etc. I don't mind buying sets for my friends to get us started. I like variety.

Uhm... not sure what else to say! If its kid friendly (like, kids under 10) that's a massive huge awesome plus.

Aspeon

Validated User
Are you thinking KeyForge? There's a thread on it further down: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/keyforge-and-deckbuilding.832214/

As far as kid-friendliness, I'd be more worried about rules complexity than anything else. (art has demons and monsters and stuff, but no gore I think?) It's less complicated than Magic since you don't have decisions on your opponent's turn, but maybe you could pick a deck that's simpler to play.

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
It's fun. It's pretty cheap. Try it.

It is not deck building though. It's in fact anti-deck building. You buy one deck and you start playing. Then you want to buy more.

Depending on the kids... 10-ish sounds about right to me. But that depends on the kid.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I've got to find it first. Nowhere here sells it :(

Part of trying it also means selling other players here on it too, and since it looks like I've got to order it...

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
It's just sold out because it's become quite popular. The guy who runs our local FLGS says he hasn't seen anything like it (sales and stocking-wise) since Magic.

Alter_Boy

Post Anything
Validated User
There's no deckbuilding to the game, but like a game of Golf, you have to be good at choosing the right decks. And I don't mean buying a $2000 Horseman deck! If you have 2 or more decks, you should plan beforehand which deck you want to play against a certain person or deck. If you're playing against a Shadow deck or someone who loves to disrupt your AEmber, go with a deck that develops a strong board presence, and fight away their board presence. If you're playing against a deck full of Taunt and Elusive, favour heavy removal and big creatures. You can't make your deck, but you can choose a deck for preferred outcomes.

But the biggest feature of Keyforge is play during a match. The game is specifically designed to avoid "winning before you start" by bringing the better deck to a match.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
If you want to play with kids, the starter set is a good buy as it includes 2 fixed "teaching" decks - fewer mechanics, and more reminder text on cards. Otherwise, you can give the starter set a miss, get the rules online and just use components from other games as your tokens.

After you've gotten a couple games under your belt - and you should definitely try out the game first to see if you like it before buying anything - a good way to expand your deck collection, IMO, is by joining the Sealed Format tournaments - everyone buys a new deck and then uses that deck during the tournament. I like the format a lot - you get a brand-new deck to play with, get to play a couple games with it to figure out what makes it tick, plus you have the chance of winning some prizes.

Top Bottom