• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Sell me on/off] Transhuman Space

Skyspire

Validated User
How does transhuman space compare to eclipse phase setting wise? I do know that it uses GURPS, but I'd probably use Fate, so I'm not too worried about the system.

Vidiian

Validated User
It's mostly lacking in the horror element that Eclipse Phase, and the tranhumanism in it is slightly weaker, as they don't have full consciousness transfer technology yet. What it does have is a much harder science setting, more rooting in existing world cultures and locales and a more optimistic take on humanity and progress in general, while still leaving plenty of room for interesting conflicts in a game.

I would recommend it over Eclipse Phase if:
* You think advanced bio-/tech is interesting and scary enough without singularity super-tech and Psi hand-waved in
* You want the option of a day to day setting that is more familiar and comprehensible to the average player
* You're not looking for something dystopian/horror in your sci-fi game.

Note, I am a big fan of both games and have run at least a little of both. They are both great transhumanist sci-fi games and both are have strengths and weaknesses the other doesn't. I'm not a big fan of GURPS so I would definitely want to run THS under FATE or something if I did it again. It's workable as is, but the GURPS book-keeping just isn't that fun or interesting to me, and Diaspora shows how you can do a relatively tech-gritty rules implementation even with FATE.

Phil Masters

Validated User
Vidiian has given a fair answer, but if you want to see the official one-page summary of the setting, go here and scroll down to the third page.

Vidiian

Validated User
PS, if you guys were ever shanghaied into doing a Kickstarter for a FATE Core version of this, or a port of it onto other systems like Savage Worlds or *World, I would be all over that. And I don't think I'd be the only one. You could offer PDFs of the existing books as backer reward add-ons and give a conversion giuds/ported stats for various bioroids/infomorphs etc.

Anyone else up for this?

Wishsong

Validated User
PS, if you guys were ever shanghaied into doing a Kickstarter for a FATE Core version of this, or a port of it onto other systems like Savage Worlds or *World, I would be all over that. And I don't think I'd be the only one. You could offer PDFs of the existing books as backer reward add-ons and give a conversion giuds/ported stats for various bioroids/infomorphs etc.

Anyone else up for this?
+1 :D

bergec

Philosopher-Geek
Validated User
I would pay good money for a FATE Core version of Transhuman Space. The main thing that's kept me from running it all these years is that GURPS is a pain in the tuckus, particularly when dealing with the power discrepancies between a relatively normal human and an AI in a top-shelf cybershell. Just not interested in playing the Point Game or the hard number crunching.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
I think with a little fudging, Transhuman Space could easily work as a "prequel" to Eclipse Phase, if you set the Fall at 2150 or thereabouts.

Apart from that, one thing to keep in mind with Transhuman Space is that unlike Eclipse Phase it does not come with a "default PC role" (i.e. Firewall agents). It just pains a huge canvas of a setting and while it presents quite a few campaign ideas, ultimately the GM must figure out what to run for himself.

Neon Sequitur

O.F.F.I.C.E. Agent
Validated User
I would pay good money for a FATE Core version of Transhuman Space. The main thing that's kept me from running it all these years is that GURPS is a pain in the tuckus, particularly when dealing with the power discrepancies between a relatively normal human and an AI in a top-shelf cybershell. Just not interested in playing the Point Game or the hard number crunching.
I've had similar thoughts, of a "Why did it have to be gurps?!" nature. I considered converting THS to Hero, but decided the amount of work required was a bit much. Now that I've got a complete Savage Worlds science fiction setting under my belt, I might try to "Savage" Transhuman Space once I've got time. That'd be a lot easier.

Top Bottom