• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sell me on OpenQuest.

Soulquest50

Validated User
Hi fellow gamers,

the BRP game OpenQuest seems to do well in various contexts both according to settings and as for the demand. Does it suit any fantasy setting more than others (sword and sorcery, high fantasy, low fantasy, dark fantasy, etc.), and does it have a campaign world or more?

Best regards,

Soulquest50

artikid

passerby
Validated User
There is a Basic OQ pdf you can get for free at rpgnow/dtrpg.
Personally I think OQ is perfect for low-fantasy.
I can easily see OQ being used for Conan, Glorantha, Lankhmar, Elric.
But the system is flexible enough to play whatever fantasy you want: d100 D&D, to sanity altering dark fantasy.
Arthurian fantasy would be doable but would require a little more work on the GM's part, I think.
The latest edition should be setting-free, just rules.

pete284

Validated User
Firstly OQ is OGL so you can use it, hack it to your hearts content. It is a simplified derivative of Mongoose Runequest. Character creation is very streamlined and speeds up player choices at the start of the game. Combat is also simplified and speeds the game up. Full HP now instead of individual body locations.

I have Legend, BRP, Magic World, Runequest 2, Runequest 6 and for me OQ hits the sweetspot. If you like crunch in your games it will not be for you. There is so much choice in d100 you should be able to find the right game to fit your gaming needs.

If you want to see a good comparison of OpenQuest 2 vs Runequest 6 vs Legend vs Magic World

Soulquest50

Validated User
Hi Pete,

thanks for your information on OpenQuest. What makes that game hit the sweetspot for you more than for Magic World? They seem to be rather similar (I haven´t played neither of them)?

Best regards,

Soulquest50

DavetheLost

Validated User
OQ also has two fantasy campaign settings. The one I am familiar with is The Crucible of Dragons, an island empire ruled by a dragon-empress. Magic is fairly common at low levels. Combat magic can make for pretty powerfyl characters when it works. Combats in our games tended to be fast and deadly affairs. We used the optional Major Wounds rule which causes grave effects from any would doing more than half your hit points.

OpenQuest has just enough detail in skills, magic etc to be fun for me without bogging down in extraneous crunch. It reminds me of the early editions of Stormbringer.

Narmer

Validated User
There's also a game call Age of Shadow that is based on OpenQuest. From what I understand it was inspired by The Lord of the Rings. I can't remember where I read that though.

pete284

Validated User
Hi Pete,

thanks for your information on OpenQuest. What makes that game hit the sweetspot for you more than for Magic World? They seem to be rather similar (I haven´t played neither of them)?
OpenQuest uses characteristics as starting points for base skills. Magic World assigns a static base number. There are alot more skills in MW than in OQ.

OQ has three types of magic: divine magic, sorcery, and battle magic. MW uses just Sorcery.

OQ uses 3 categories for combat skills (close/ranged/unarmed). MW is by weapon groups.

OQ groups skills into Resistances, Combat, Knowledge, and Practical. MW groups skills into Physical, Communication, Knowledge, Manipulation, and Perception.

But it's apples vs oranges.

Newtus

Validated User
There's also a game call Age of Shadow that is based on OpenQuest. From what I understand it was inspired by The Lord of the Rings. I can't remember where I read that though.
When its author originally pitched it on the forums I used to run for D101 Games it was based on the Silmarillion. We had a quick discussion, where I explained that they couldn't use Tolkien's setting directly and it took the form that it is today.

Age of Shadow by Crooked Staff Publishing.

g33k

Validated User
OpenQuest uses characteristics as starting points for base skills. Magic World assigns a static base number. There are alot more skills in MW than in OQ.

OQ has three types of magic: divine magic, sorcery, and battle magic. MW uses just Sorcery.

OQ uses 3 categories for combat skills (close/ranged/unarmed). MW is by weapon groups.

OQ groups skills into Resistances, Combat, Knowledge, and Practical. MW groups skills into Physical, Communication, Knowledge, Manipulation, and Perception.

But it's apples vs oranges.
And worth noting that all those choices -- as with pretty much all the BRP/d101 apples & oranges (and bananas and pineapple &c) -- can be mixed and re-blended to your favorite smoothie (or fruit salad, if you like it chunkier).
:D

Top Bottom