• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Sell me on Paranoia 5th...

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well I could sell it to you. I have the books (an impulse buy when I was young) and been trying to sell it for a long time. ;)
I doesn't see that bad. It's a preety fun game (especially thesidebar coments made by various charcters). Mind that I never fully ead any othe Paranoia book.

jcfiala

Code Monkey
Validated User
Paranoia in general is very good when it's run by a good GM, and it's a good edition of the game. I've heard good things about 5th, but unfortunately I've been distracted from reading the rules.

However, having read a bunch of the background stuff for Paranoia in the main rulebook, it looks like they've done a fine job of updating Paranoia from 1984 to 2006.

Damn Mutant Commie Terrorists!

Allen Varney

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So-called Fifth Edition (actually the third, 1992) is universally considered the poorest edition of PARANOIA. Along with Creatures of the Nightcycle, the book represents the absolute dead bottom of a years-long decline in quality that was painful for longtime fans to watch. From about 1989 onward, I would greet each new PARANOIA supplement with, "Well, after this it can't possibly get any worse." And yet, with the next book....

When I accepted the assignment to redesign PARANOIA for Mongoose Publishing, my overriding motive, from the first hour and minute and second, was to make PARANOIA good again and expunge the memory of that dismal time. The new edition introduced the idea of different play styles -- Classic, Straight, and Zap -- specifically to reclaim mindshare from an audience that had come to associate PARANOIA exclusively with the stupidities of the long decline at West End. I also pointedly declared everything after The People's Glorious Revolutionary Adventure an un-product, an Orwellian reconning that suits the game.

Though I acted unilaterally, it's significant that no PARANOIA fan or reviewer has yet taken issue with these decisions. Seldom has any RPG product been so universally loathed and despised by its target audience as was "Fifth Edition."

Brandi

Validated User
All I remember about 5th is that there was no Jim Holloway art, just some cartoons that, when I think back on it, bordered on Gonteresque.

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
Simple Man said:
Does anyone actually like this game enough to sell it?

Before you ask, I've got pretty much the entire Paranoia XP line.
Fifth Edition?

Listen to the wise Mr. Varney.

There is little but loathing for 5th Edition.

-Thornhammer

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
Allen Varney said:
I also pointedly declared everything after The People's Glorious Revolutionary Adventure an un-product, an Orwellian reconning that suits the game.
Without wanting to sound like I want to have Allen Varney's lovespawn, I gotta say that that line in Paranoia XP is possibly the single most in-character way he could have made that change. Spot on.

-Thornhammer

Captain Deadpool

I'm an assassi... Horse Trainer
Validated User
Allen Varney said:
Though I acted unilaterally, it's significant that no PARANOIA fan or reviewer has yet taken issue with these decisions. Seldom has any RPG product been so universally loathed and despised by its target audience as was "Fifth Edition."
Yeah, I hear ya. I love the new edition, by the way. I was really just seeing if anyone out here would actually sell the 5th(3rd) edition.

I can't stand Zap though. Classic and Straight have good groundings for a game, Zap just seems like 20 minutes of insanity (as invariably, that's as long as Zap games last).

Marius B

Euro-Trash
Validated User
I haven't heard anything good about 5th ed. but I've considered getting it to see if perhaps the rules could be rippped out and used to run Paranoia XP which I think is very good except for the system which I think is pretty rubbish.

Top Bottom