💀 Necro [+] Sell me on Redemption: A Game of Tactics and Consequences

vordrax

Validated User
From a different thread:

Hi Guys... I have a bit of a personal request.
I've talked a bit previously about my wife's difficulties with her pregnancy: so far she's been hospitalized 4 times due to hyperemesis. She's been on bed rest through all of this hasn't been able to work. My salary covers the bills, but it's been tight. Last night, we took our dog to the vet because she couldn't stop throwing up. So far all the tests are normal, but she has to go back today for an ultrasound because they haven't found anything yet. All told, it's a pretty large hit to our budget, and we still don't know what's wrong with her.
Bottom line is; any money you would be willing to throw at Redemption over the next few days would be deeply appreciated, as would any vibes you care to send.

Hey Everyone,
So a final note on Redemption: first, thank you everyone that chipped in. I hope you all enjoy the book! Your support definitely made a difference. Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm not quite out of the woods just yet, so I've decided to offer Redemption with a flat 25% off both the PDF and Hardcover versions of the game through August. If I've set everything up correctly, the following links should give you the reduced prices.
PDF: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=984a6367e2
POD: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=9856fb195b
The discounts are unlimited, so please feel free to share them with anyone you know who might be interested.
I was just glancing through it (the July sale thread) and saw this. So I'm probably going to be picking this up soon to contribute (and if you'd like to pitch in and help out, it looks like it's still on sale for another week.) But as far as playing it, has anyone tried it out? I don't know an awful lot about it. How does it play? What system does it use? I can't find any big reviews or discussions of it anywhere. I'm hoping to start one here. Once I've picked up the PDF and have a chance to glance through it (and some time to actually post), I might throw something in here. But until then, I'd love if someone who has already read it or played it could provide their own thoughts.

And of course, I'd like to toss in some good vibes, as requested.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm also curious how this plays. I like the look of it.

And, likewise, vibes to SeekerJST and his family.

vordrax

Validated User
I picked it up and I'm glancing through it now. Looks like it's a roll-under system, the lower the better. You roll against a target number (looks like it's determined by your skill?) using a number of dice based on the difficulty of the skill. 3d8 seems to be the standard difficulty, and it steps up to 3d10 or down to 3d6. You can invoke Fate-style tags to reduce one die (so you can roll 2d8 + 1d6, for example.) How well you do is determined by the roll itself - a roll of 10 vs a target number of 15 would have a margin of success of 5. Going to keep reading. I wonder how well this plays out.

Anshu

Banned
I'm a big fan of Redemption; I'm currently assisting with the playtest of the planned GM supplement, and I have been having a blast. Vordrax gave a pretty good summary of the system; your target number is determined by the sum of two basic attributes, plus your skill, plus any modifiers from gear. In addition to attributes and skills (rated 1-7), your character is defined by tags (rated 1-3); higher-rated tags allow you to stage down addition dice at no extra cost.

I would sum up the setting as "Mass Effect meets Honor Harrington, with a dash of Star Trek", but the system is easily flexible enough that you could adapt it for just about anything. I'm already planning to hack it for Star Wars.

SirJalinth

Ortillery, my best Friend
Validated User
I've played a fair amount of Redemption, 15-20 sessions to date. I met one of the authors in EVE Online and have ended up playing a number of other PC games with the folks working on it. I backed the kickstarter, and since then I have helped play test two of the adventures from the next book. I won't go into details of what those adventures entailed, but I'll cover some generalities.

I have found the game to be friendly to being "big damn heroes". The core of the game system is that you can reduce the difficulty of skill checks by spending Action Points (AP) to invoke your Tags (I'll cover tags below). This allows you to spend resources to make nearly impossible checks with ease, although this can get very expensive and leave you without anything for the rest of the session. Most combat rounds I used the one free action point that my Command Check generated for each member of the party. This generally help make Commander MacDonald feel like a bad ass. Then there was the time that I really, really wanted to make sure someone didn't die and I went through absolutely every AP and resource that I could possible use for the rest of the session in one round of combat. I still almost died, but it was awesome. During a major battle elsewhere in the adventure our Combat Psi did something similar and ended up pulling off a couple of rounds that would have fit right in at the end of an Avengers movie.

Tags are descriptors for things, and the main ones are your character's tags. Every PC has a Concept and a Trouble Tag plus a few others. You can spend action points to use them in various ways when the GM agrees that the tag would apply. So a tag of "Strong as an Ox" would work fine if you are trying to lift a bunch of debris, but would really help you sneak into a high class ball. Tags can also be used to compel you to a course of action in line with the tag. My character's trouble tag was "Heroes leave no man behind". The GM used it on one occasion when the far safer option would have been to flee, but it would have meant that an potentially innocent man would have been left behind. I could have resisted the compel, but by going along with it I earned 2 more action points.

I've found that tags are a wonderful RP tool to help you focus on who your character is and gives you a mechanical benefit to playing them to those tags.

I've also spent a fair amount of time with the design rules for gear. I have done everything from plasma swords to ships that certainly are NOT the SDF-1. It's very flexible and fairly easy to use but it isn't meant to be something like GURPS: Vehicles or anything. If folks have questions I'll be happy to answer questions about it.

Like Taurus II, who is playing with me in the playtest of the 2nd adventure, I have also been doing some work on hacks to the system. I've been toying with how to implement Tenno from Warframe into the game. So far it seems to be fairly easy, although some of the Tenno powers don't map to anything currently in the game.

Last edited:

Ghoti

Pronounced "Fish."
Validated User
I'm a big fan of Redemption; I'm currently assisting with the playtest of the planned GM supplement, and I have been having a blast.
I'm also in the playtest group, and I'm also enjoying it immensely. I picked up the hard copy and the PDF, and I'll probably try to get my gaming group to play it.

Lord Raziere

Banned
Validated User
what I want to know is why its called Redemption....do the PC's need to redeem themselves or something? because you shouldn't have a title like that without good reason....

Anshu

Banned
what I want to know is why its called Redemption....do the PC's need to redeem themselves or something? because you shouldn't have a title like that without good reason....
It's a backstory thing. Humanity has spent the last 5 years getting its ass kicked by an advanced alien species; the first ships we've been able to build that can fight them on anything approaching even terms are the Redemption-class frigates.

Last edited:

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
I can't say anything about how it plays because the system doesn't fit my personal preferences.

I can tell the setting is hands-down the best space scifi RPG setting I've seen if you like stuff that's generally plausible (not in a true hard scifi style, but still considerably more thought out than general space opera), has lots of hooks for different kinds of campaigns, fires up the imagination, has lots of flavour and details that give it an air of verisimilitude without becoming obsessed with trivia, and still gives you enough room to plug in your own material without feeling constrained by canon. I've no intention of using the system yet do not regret my purchase in the slightest.

Top Bottom