• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Sell me on] That Certain Magical/Scientific *Splat*

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Index and Railgun seem to have hit Netflix, and I'm wondering about putting in my back cue (I need finish Trollhunters/3 Below, and possibly Go with FMA;B, since I actually have seen the first FMA anime, crap probably 15 years back?).
And to be honest, all know about it is the general synposis and snippets I caught on random thread around here years back.

The premise sounds enjoyable M:tAs like with, with magical and scientific forces at odds with each other.

What is it like?

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
Point the first: I like the setting! It's fun in all the right ways. Point the second: the spin-off series in the franchise are so much better than the mainline show that it's either funny or sad depending on your perspective.

My advice is to watch Railgun and Co, while skipping the Index series proper. You really aren't going to miss anything (which IS a shame. But them's the breaks).

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
It's a tad deceptive in title, the Magic and Science side very very rarely actually clash. It's mostly the magical side operating inside of Academy City and clashing with other factions of the Magical side within the city until stopped by Touma the protagonist, the science side almost never gets involved directly. He clashes with the science side too, but the magical side is rarely involved in that.

Railgun is more focused on the science side, but then it's wholely science side stuff.

Accelerator seems to be including more science/magical clashes, but it's mostly Accel himself getting involved, so like with Touma in Index, it's not really Magic vs Science.

ecs05norway

Validated User
Ok. First off, the two series take place in the same world and star many of the same characters and run at roughly the same time -- well, mostly.

Index is IMO the weaker of the two. It suffers from a) adapting several light novel story arcs (about 4-5 episodes per 2-novel arc) and b) tragically underusing its lead heroine, Index herself (which is not an adaptation issue as the LNs have the same problem). There are occasional bits that are genius but they tend to be isolated.

Railgun is - again IMO - much more a well-done anime than Index. Each cour is a single coherent story arc, and has time to build up the secondary characters and give a lot more development of the setting and the plot. The time synchronization becomes obvious when we discover that the third plot arc of Index (episodes 9-12 or so IIRC) is also the arc (from a different character's perspective) of the first cour of second season of Railgun.

Quite frankly, between the uselessness of Index and the pacing issues, we never really get time to get any investment in any of the characters on Index side except for Touma and Accelerator. (And Misaka, but she doesn't count.) Frankly the best parts of Index are in the later arcs where Accelerator becomes the protagonist.

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
A certain scientific Accelerator has it's anime coming out now too. It's... not good, but it does introduce SCAVANGER and I love them.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd say the first season of Index is worth watching ; not the highest point of the franchise, but a fantastic piece of worldbuilding where each arc goes into a completely different direction and introduces something new into the melting pot. The second and especially the third season (which is just way too rushed) are more for completists who want to know how the main plot threads progress and resolve themselves (but they're honestly the least interesting thing about the show).

Railgun is the true jewel, though, making full advantage of the setting introduced in the main series to tell fun, enthralling character-driven stories. (Well, less so the second season, which concerns itself mostly with retelling an early Index arc from another perspective, without giving much to do to the titular character.)

Accelerator is starting off okay, but really takes for granted you've seen the first season of Index as background.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
How's the cheesecake factor, by the way? I've only followed the light novels, but they always found reasons to put one of the females in embarassing situations (usually lovingly illustrated thusly).

Do you get random panty shots, Touma walking into girls changing, resident pervert schoolgirl groping her crush?

(I may be making it seem worse han it is, it's just something I'm very annoyed about given the age of every cast member)

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
How's the cheesecake factor, by the way? I've only followed the light novels, but they always found reasons to put one of the females in embarassing situations (usually lovingly illustrated thusly).

Do you get random panty shots, Touma walking into girls changing, resident pervert schoolgirl groping her crush?

(I may be making it seem worse han it is, it's just something I'm very annoyed about given the age of every cast member)
It's not as bad as the Light Novels... but yes there's still a fair bit of that in all three series.

Top Bottom