Sell/Unsell me on Dungeon Crawl Classics...

the cat

Drone
Validated User
In my region softcover core rules on Amazon is like $25 USD.

My groups like to do leveling at the end of every session, especially since we use DCC as our off game night. So there might be many weeks between sessions if everyone is in attendance.
The way we are playing - players will earn 10 xp at the end of every adventure if that adventure is level approporiate. Due to this it will take i believe 5 level 1 aventures to level to level 2.

D13

Luckily Unlucky
Validated User
The way we are playing - players will earn 10 xp at the end of every adventure if that adventure is level approporiate. Due to this it will take i believe 5 level 1 aventures to level to level 2.
I'm a firm believer that character advancement should happen exactly as fast as the group desires.

the cat

Drone
Validated User
I'm a firm believer that character advancement should happen exactly as fast as the group desires.
There aint nothin wrong with that. Groups should be free to decide for themselves what works. But I like the flexibility in that no mayter what is chosen the game wont break down or something.

Reidzilla

President of Umerica
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As the title says I am interested in Dungeon Crawl Classics and also Mutant Crawl Classics and wanted to know what everyone thought of them.
Well, as a 3rd Party Publisher for DCC, I do like it quite a bit. :)
Could you be more specific on what you would like to hear about?

D13

Luckily Unlucky
Validated User
Well is the attrition rate of characters high after you finish the funnel?
Depends on the Judge really. Characters sharply gain competence as they level up, but DCC published adventures still don't pull their punches after the funnel. However abilities like spending luck, and rules like rolling over the body also help with survival. I wouldn't say attrition is "high".

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The non-platonic dice give the game a distinct flavour, but honestly I could do without them.

The classes are superficially similar to other race-as-class OSR games, but they all have a little extra oomph unique to DCC (Warriors/Dwarves get "Mighty Deeds", Rogues/Halflings get "Luck Points". The exception would be the Cleric, which I consider to be the least exciting class. They have some fun spells and the usually turning and healing abilities, but the gods they worship end up being pretty generic.

Playing a Wizard or Elf is dangerous because magic is unpredictable, but it's also a lot of fun. Every spell has it's own table of effects, with a bunch of additional tables and charts to describe how things can go wrong. There's also a slew of dedicated mechanics that only really apply to arcane magic-users, and a bunch of entities that exist mostly only for magicians to form a "patron bond" with (which, unlike a Cleric's gods, are end up influincing play in a variety of unpredictable/fun ways).

"Unpredictable, but fun" is how I would describe the system overall too. Between the above-mentioned magic, critical hits/fumbles, the general swingy-ness of the dice, and the "mighty deeds" warrior/dwarf-class feature, it's hard to predict how any fight is going to go. Luck and good strategy can allow a low-level party to defeat a dragon, but poor luck and bad strategy could allow a high-level party to be defeated by a goblin. Because of this, the system can make otherwise-boring adventures fun, because the Rogue figured out how to bypass half the dungeon, or the Wizard turned their head into that of a chicken.

That said, all of the published DCC adventures I've played have been a lot of fun, and would be so under any system (I've only played a few, however, and there many so I assume the quality varies). They have no problem throwing 1st-level adventurers in alternate dimensions or other "gonzo" situations that are more traditionally the domain of high-level play.

D13

Luckily Unlucky
Validated User
DCC #86 Hole in the Sky is a 0 level funnel about going to a different dimension. It's one of my favorite ways to introduce DCC to people.

jcfiala

Code Monkey
Validated User
The classes are superficially similar to other race-as-class OSR games, but they all have a little extra oomph unique to DCC (Warriors/Dwarves get "Mighty Deeds", Rogues/Halflings get "Luck Points". The exception would be the Cleric, which I consider to be the least exciting class. They have some fun spells and the usually turning and healing abilities, but the gods they worship end up being pretty generic.
I've been playing a Cleric from a funnel all the way up to level 6, and I can't say that it doesn't seem exciting to me. There's been a few times where I've turned an incipient TPK into survival by well-chosen spells. (In one case I got an overpowered demon to chase us to the prime material plane so I could banish him away. :)

There's various suggested rules out there for customizing Clerics to match their gods in different ways, and there's some official rules coming out in the Annual, which has been released as a pdf.

DCC is just a lot of fun. There's a lot of neat tables to roll on - Fumbles can be particularly fun - there's lots of neat adventures out there... and plus there's really not anything official you've got to have other than the core rulebook. Really, the annual is the first supplemental rulebook since the game was published. It can be really swingy, though - we had unwinnable fights get won due to a combination of good initiative and magic missile rolls, and easier fights almost lost due to bad saves and other unlucky events.

My personal bugaboo about the game is the language rules. Sure, you can start out speaking lizardman, but unless the DM decides to run a lizardman-focused campaign, you probably will never see one, due to DCC's focus on original/unusual monsters. As such, whatever your random starting langauges may be generally just doesn't matter.

numtini

Validated User
My problem with the cleric has been that I'm afraid to cast any spells because I can't take the chance of ramping up disapproval and later needing to heal. It means I mostly melee attack and heal bot. Oh other than detect evil, which is farcically OP in a dungeon crawl and is constantly up.

Top Bottom