• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Semi-Open Recruitment] 1920s Call of Cthulhu 6th Ed

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's Call of Cthulhu. It's New England. It's the 1920s. You know what you're in for.

Game Overview
  • We'll be using 6th Edition CoC. No system knowledge is required - I'm happy to handle the mechanics on my end.
  • This will effectively be a one-shot game, though it is loosely connected to a campaign run by Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder . No knowledge or experience of that campaign is necessary.
  • The setting for the game is New England in the 1920s - specifically, a number of small coastal towns and cities currently experiencing some weirdness. While I can't predict what the players will choose to do, there will probably be some boating involved. There will be a mix of investigation, action, and adventure.
  • We will use standard character creation (though, as I mentioned above, I'm happy to help out). Exception: you can re-order your stats as rolled to fit your concept.
  • This is a Call of Cthulhu one-shot: bad things may happen to your PC or people around them. If you're not on board with PC death or body horror, this isn't the game for you. (There will be no sexual violence or sexually-tinged horror.)
  • Any character concept that fits the setting is fine, but your character must be willing to get involved in an investigation of bad/weird things happening in their community with others. After we have character concepts, we'll work on establishing some personal connections between the characters.
PbP Expectations
  • The average expectation is one post per day. Everyone has life issues that come up - that's totally fine. But, one post per day is the general expectation.
  • We'll use the RPGnet wiki to track various information (mechanical and setting), including the leads in your investigation. Please be willing to contribute to the wiki-work, though this is not a hard-and-fast requirement.
  • All dice [including mine!] will be rolled in the open using Orokos, rolz.org, or a similar online die-roller that tracks roll history. Please link to your rolls in your posts. If you prefer that I do the rolling for you, that's fine.
Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder and R RuneMagus have reserved spots and will be reprising PCs from earlier episodes in this loosely-connected campaign.

I will take 4 additional players (6 total). Please express any interest below. This will be first-come, first-served, but I reserve the right to turn away players or PCs that I think won't be a good fit.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Super interested to play in one of your CoC games but not sure I can take on another game right now, hmm.

Regular Guy

"Lemme make a call."
Validated User
Sounds excellent! Thinking a small coastal town cop, a la' a 1920's Chief Martin Brody...

Roger

Validated User
Finally, the stars are right. I'd like in. Thinking maybe one of those artsy haunted-in-dreams sorts that were fopping around the 20s, but I have some flexibility.

Cheers,
Roger

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Super interested to play in one of your CoC games but not sure I can take on another game right now, hmm.
Be glad to have you - let me know!

I've never played, but I'm totally interested. I'd like to go with a female researcher/academic or the like.
Sounds excellent! Thinking a small coastal town cop, a la' a 1920's Chief Martin Brody...
Finally, the stars are right. I'd like in. Thinking maybe one of those artsy haunted-in-dreams sorts that were fopping around the 20s, but I have some flexibility.

Cheers,
Roger
These all sound great. Go ahead and start working up characters (and let me know how I can help).

Mister Gridlock

Validated User
Dr. Garnet Gladwell (PhD)
Age 33
STR (6), CON (11), POW (9), DEX (8), and APP (9), SIZ (11), INT (15), EDU (18)
Idea: 75
Know: 90
San 52
Luck: 45
Damage bonus: +0
HP: 11
Magic: 9

Career (Professor): Bargain (40), Credit Rating (50), Library Use (65), Other Language (Latin 50), Own Language (90), Persuade (60), Psychology (45), Anthropology (59), Archaeology (59)
Personal interest points: 150 (to be spent later)

***work in progress***

Stat rolls: http://orokos.com/roll/742872, http://orokos.com/roll/742874, http://orokos.com/roll/742876, http://orokos.com/roll/742975

Last edited:

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
How about a WW 1 Officer returned home but restless after seeing Paris and meeting Hemingway? Educated but just smart enough to know he's not that smart.

Archibald "Wink" Winkworth, 28.

M Mister Gridlock What happened to SIZ?

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
More on his background: Wink's father is a local politician who pulled a few strings when Wink signed up, and got him a job behind the trenches driving a general around. Not one of the famous generals, and he got shot at and shelled more than you'd think, but he came through unscathed, except for a touch of jumpiness and a haunting feeling that his best days are behind him at the age of 28. Unfit for any respectable profession, he got his PI license, mostly in order to do dirty business and what later generations would call opposition research on behalf of his dad, who made a bundle off the War. He'd jump at the chance to investigate something more interesting than a philandering alderman.

Idea behind the character: somebody tough to balance out the haunted dilettantes and weedy professor types, but with an interesting background to give him something to talk about with them. If the bit about the corrupt politician father is over the top, I can take it out, it just sounded cool to me.

Wink's stats:

Primary Stats:
STR 15 CON 12 SIZ 12 INT 11 POW 12 DEX 14 APP 16 EDU 14

Secondary Stats:
Idea 55%
Luck60%
Know70%
SAN 60
HP 12

Skills
Spoiler: Show

Accounting .........(10)
Art (Drawing)........(20)
Bargain ...............(75)
Conceal ..............(25)
Craft....................(05)
Credit Rating......(15)
Cthulhu Mythos .(00)
Disguise..............(20)
Dodge ................(28)
Drive (Auto)........(50)
Fast Talk..............(55)
First Aid..............(30)
Hide ...................(40)
History................(25)
Jump ..................(25)
Law ....................(55)
Library Use .........(25)
Listen..................(25)
Locksmith ...........(40)
Mech. Repair ......(30)
Medicine ............(05)
Natural History ...(15)
Occult ................(05)
Own L. (English).(55)
Persuade.............(35)
Photography.......(45)
Psychology .........(45)
Ride ....................(05)
Sneak..................(40)
Spot Hidden.......(40)
Swim ..................(25)
Track...................(20)

Rough Stuff
Fisticuffs.............(60) - 1d3+1d4
Handgun ............(65) - 1d10+2
Rifle ....................(25)
Shotgun .............(30)

Portrait
Spoiler: Show

He's a handsome devil!

Last edited:

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
I shall be playing Edna O'Flynn, occultist, socialite and owner of the Arkham Speakeasy the Golden Bough.

She's loaded, as in money....and usually gin.

Her speakeasy is popular with veterans of WWI.

Top Bottom