• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Sentinel Comics RPG] Miss(ing) Information

Rain242

Refugee from Reality
Validated User
I'm currently gearing up to run the Starter Set but, as I'm reading it, having not played the card game much, I feel like I'm missing some necessary background.

I don't know what the Akash'Flora tree is, what happened during OblivAeon, who
Spoiler: Show
Baron Blade
is. As my players will be looking to me for background information, I feel a little lacking. Yes, I could trawl the Wiki, but can anyone give me a quick rundown or has anyone produced a quick synopsis of need-to-know stuff already?

Snoof

Time-Travelling Layabout
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OblivAeon was a nigh-omnipotent cosmic entity who very nearly annihilated the entire multiverse during the OblivAeon event, which was at the end of the card-game timeline. He was responsible for a lot of the things which happened over the course of the "series", including the Shattering of the Timelines (which allowed inter-universal travel) and the empowerment of a number of heroes and villains via his "shards". During the fight he came to Earth and attempted to personally wipe out the pesky heroes who kept interfering with his plans; this very nearly succeeded,
except he was betrayed by one of his own Scions at a critical moment, allowing the heroes to turn the tables on him.

Akash'Bhuta was a powerful spirit of nature who was hostile towards civilization and humanity in general. She tended to appear as a manifestation of natures' wrath, with immense tentaculous limbs made from stone and plant-matter, and was opposed throughout history by the Virtuosos of the Void, the most recent of which was the hero Argent Adept. Towards the end of the card game timeline (after multiple defeats by the Argent Adept and the other heroes, causing her to lose a lot of power), she became a friend to the hero Naturalist and and became known as Akash'Thriya. During the OblivAeon event, she sacrificed herself to save a bunch of heroes, leaving behind the Akash'Flora tree in the city of Megalopolis. The tree itself appears to be nonsapient, but provides energy and health to its surroundings.

Baron Blade is basically the archetypical villain of the series. He's an egomaniacal genius inventor who is very nearly as smart as he thinks he is, with a fondness for huge, impractical doomsday devices. He also rules the city-state of Mordengrad. He hates the entire Legacy family line and has tried to conquer and/or destroy the world on multiple occasions, but faced with the threat of OblivAeon he joined forces with the heroes to fight back, taking the name Luminary to represent his new perspective[1]. During the OblivAeon fight he was apparently killed, but he faked it. Obviously.

[1] It's worth noting that unlike the other villains-turned-hero, he didn't actually reform - he just didn't want anyone destroying the multiverse before he'd had a chance to conquer it.

Last edited:

committed hero

nude lamia mech
Validated User
Obvious parallels to make are
Oblivaeon to Galactus
Baron Blade to Doctor Doom
...can't really think of one for Akash.

Bergy

Validated User
For previous incarnations of Akash, perhaps a villainous Swamp Thing that eventually became good, before becoming a giant tree in the Oblivaeon fight?

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
That's not a bad comparison - you can take pretty much any powerful mystical villain who pulls a heel-turn and make it work, although honestly Akash is one of their more unique creations.

Bergy

Validated User
For all the lore and more, you can check out The Sentinel Comics Wiki. Most of the lore comes from the Letters Page Podcast, which is a fun listen.
Yep, the Letters Page podcast is the best, but not the easiest, source for Sentinel Comics lore. I'm making my way through the backlog myself, due to the hopefully soon to be released RPG core rulebook. I got less than a year of episodes left, nearly at the Oblivaeon content.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Yep, the Letters Page podcast is the best, but not the easiest, source for Sentinel Comics lore. I'm making my way through the backlog myself, due to the hopefully soon to be released RPG core rulebook. I got less than a year of episodes left, nearly at the Oblivaeon content.
Oh, wow, that's a fair bit to go through. I started when they are on episode 30 or so, and that was a fair bit to catch up on.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There may also be a certain amount of early Groot, from back when he had more of a vocabulary.

Top Bottom