[Sentinels of the Multiverse] I'm diggin' it

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
You know the button where you toggle between single and team villains? Now it has a third option for OblivAeon.

I've found that, by and large, in an OblivAeon fight, I rapidly lose track of what the hell is going on. Everything just catches fire for no reason. Why not.
I played a solo game, with all the cards laid out on a giant table, and, yeah, even with that larger context for the game it was hard to keep track of stuff, and took multiple plays to get the hang of it. I imagine the digital game experience will be similar.

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
I am eager to finally get an authoritative lesson in how OblivAeon plays. Tonight, defeat!

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I am eager to finally get an authoritative lesson in how OblivAeon plays. Tonight, defeat!
GtG is one of those companies that seems to be just fine with making games that have a pretty steep learning curve, a la Spirit Island. I've played the latter enough that I'm pretty good at it, but, yeah, here's to loss!

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, I have returned from my first crushing loss against the Big Guy.

It looked to be going well at first. I got "The Ceaseless Ruin" shield, and had Akash'Thriya, so flipping the environment trash was a breeze. I also had Nixious and Bor as my starting baddies. Early on, I got A Brother's Sacrifice, so I pinged Bor to death deliberately and then hid behind my dying brother. Very sad. Bor blew up and killed Nixious, which summoned Sanction, who Bor then blasted down to low health. I then killed Sanction and Voidsoul, which summoned Voss and Darkmind. With four Scions dead before anything had blown up, and most of my first heroes still alive (I was down two at that point) I thought I had a solid run.

And then Oblivaeon blew up my first environment, and gathered enough Inevitable Destruction tokens to do it again on his next turn.

Things turned on me. Voss killed Darkmind, pulling out Aeon Master. Every time I lined up enough hero targets to get plinked by Oblivaeon's shield, he wandered into the opposite battle zone and shot those guys instead. I tried to use Luminary to build up a field of devices, but then Oblivaeon's countdown hit zero, he wandered over, and blew everything up and killed Luminary and entered his second form...

... with only two environments left. If I let his countdown reach 0, or his Inevitable Destruction reach 12, it would be game over. And he was already at 6.

So I called it a day.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
I managed to actually win, even going so far as to only lose one person (Akash'Thriya, who 1) achieved almost nothing for a while and then 2) shifted into the wrong environment and blew up), even if three environments are gone (granted, one of them was Insula Primalis, which I don't think anyone is going to miss). Granted, a significant chunk of this was that OblivAeon, as far as I can tell, emphasises energy and infernal damage and I had Legacy with every additional-power reward known to man (seriously, Legacy using four powers in a turn, three of them accompanied by barrages of ice buffed by his power, is ridiculous).

It ended with Voss usurping OblivAeon's power, at which point the Wraith brought an OblivAeon Shard online for +8 damage to everything in her area, fired on full auto, turned all her gear into golems with The Digital Age, and would have dealt something like a hundred damage in one turn if Voss had that much HP, which he did not.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
First Lesson: opening with all five Face Turn Villains may not be the best move, since they're all arching Obliv and the initial round of damage is horrendous. :eek:

Deflare

Validated User
I played a solo game, with all the cards laid out on a giant table, and, yeah, even with that larger context for the game it was hard to keep track of stuff, and took multiple plays to get the hang of it. I imagine the digital game experience will be similar.
I tried to do that once. I got through the first play from OblivAeon's deck when one of my heroes died, I checked the rulebook, realized that EVERY HERO DECK IN THE GAME was potentially in play, and went, "I cannot do this single-player." So I'm looking forward to having the digital version manage some things for me.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I tried to do that once. I got through the first play from OblivAeon's deck when one of my heroes died, I checked the rulebook, realized that EVERY HERO DECK IN THE GAME was potentially in play, and went, "I cannot do this single-player." So I'm looking forward to having the digital version manage some things for me.
Every hero, and variants. There's whole threads on the GtG forums on which characters you should allow to die first for massive damage.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
I managed to actually win, even going so far as to only lose one person (Akash'Thriya, who 1) achieved almost nothing for a while and then 2) shifted into the wrong environment and blew up), even if three environments are gone (granted, one of them was Insula Primalis, which I don't think anyone is going to miss). Granted, a significant chunk of this was that OblivAeon, as far as I can tell, emphasises energy and infernal damage and I had Legacy with every additional-power reward known to man (seriously, Legacy using four powers in a turn, three of them accompanied by barrages of ice buffed by his power, is ridiculous).

It ended with Voss usurping OblivAeon's power, at which point the Wraith brought an OblivAeon Shard online for +8 damage to everything in her area, fired on full auto, turned all her gear into golems with The Digital Age, and would have dealt something like a hundred damage in one turn if Voss had that much HP, which he did not.
Wow. Who was the rest of your team?

(Akash'Thriya seems like a bad choice for this fight - she's rather slow to get rolling, and having an environment get destroyed puts her back at square one.)

Top Bottom