• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Serenity] Conversions?

CrackedMan_SAH

akaSagaciousAscendingHero
Validated User
I love Firefly/Serenity, but the system just makes me wince. I have the same problem with Savage Worlds, I dislike systems that use variable dice to represent stats. I'm much more comfortable with either single die systems, like d20 and the percentiles of the Warhammer games, or die pool games like WoD, L5R, or ORE.

Has anyone done any conversions for Serenity into a system like one of these? The things I want to make sure I keep are the Assets & Complications, and the ability to quickly convert NPCs from Serenity into the new system. I'm not too concerned about the ship systems as that is mostly going to be background flavor for me.

I had considered Rogue Trader or Star Wars, but neither has any drawback mechanics. I like L5R's roll and keep system, but I'm not sure how to make the conversions work, especially in regards to combat.

vinush

RPG Vigilante
Validated User
Since when did D20 become single dice? Or do you mean single dice for resolving actions?

THE \/ince

CrackedMan_SAH

Validated User
Yes, single die for resolving actions. You use differing dice for damage, but that is the only exception, everything else is handled with a d20. And actual some d20 games (M&M and True20) don't even have that exception.

Ravenswing

Banned
I used GURPS to play Firefly with no hitches. Frankly, I didn't worry about how well I mapped the Serenity RPG (only with GURPS mechanics) ... I used standard GURPS advantages and disadvantages.

That being said, the angst about "conversion" which plagues so many gamers is, I believe, quite a waste of mental energy.

Look, even if you're allowing your players to use Mal, River, Zoe and the like as PCs - and I expect few campaigns do - the stats and ablities that the creators assigned to them are their own guesses. Yours is likely just as good. And really, who cares whether Wash's piloting skill is X, as opposed to X+1 or X-1? What matters is whether you accord him a skill reasonably consistent with how he's depicted in the series.

So you want to quickly assign numbers to NPCs? Great ... do so! Joss Whedon isn't coming to beat me up because I gave Niska a point higher IQ than he would have given him, and my players aren't going to find out one way or another.

CrackedMan_SAH

Validated User
You misunderstand what I was saying. I'm not necessarily concerned about the accuracy of the conversion of NPCs, but the speed of the conversion. I want to be able to grab my Serenity book/adventure make a couple of quick notes and be ready to go. Not have to rebuild the NPCs from the ground up in a new system.

As stupid or strange as it may be, what I would really like to do is find a conversion that requires the minimum amount of changes but still removes the variable dice system it currently uses. Like if I could find a way to change the (dX+dX) system into a (roll Xd6s), I'd be really happy. I just suck at conversions and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Actually what I'd really like is to make a d6 version of L5R's roll & keep. My idea was that half the die size is how many d6's are rolled. So that if you previously would have had a roll of d6+d8, instead you roll 7d6, keeping the Attribute (same as L5R) so you'd have 7k3. But I don't know if the success level chart would need changing. Also I don't know how to handle Attribute + Attribute rolls, or plot points, or damage/life points.

Last edited:

Morningkiller

One Track Lover
Validated User
I'm going to throw out a recommendation for Traveller.

Serenity is pretty much Joss Whedon's Traveller campaign done for TV. It doesn't have a merits/flaws system but character drawbacks and motivations are generated in abundance via the lifepath mini-game in character creation.

The ruleset is simple but models pretty much everything you might need in Serenity including psionics. There are space rules but they can play as big or as small a role as you want in the game. It is also well-supported with tons of supplements - patrons and scoundrel may be appropriate(none of which are in any way required to play).

I would say that if you don't like random character generation there is an alternative points option but IMO if randomnerss in character generation annoys people then Traveller is probably not for them.

An alternative recommendations would be Smallville if you are aiming for a game driven by character relationships. Your idea for converting d6 Star Wars is interesting and I think that ruleset would work fairly well.

CrackedMan_SAH

Validated User
I dislike Traveller for too many reasons to count, sorry.

Smallville uses the same system base, with variable dice for stats.

I may have to look at the d6 system stuff and see if that'd work. I played a WEG SW game once way back in the day and don't remember having any issues with it.

King Snarf

Validated User
One of Eden Studios ESP's did a feature on using Cinematic Unisystem for a "unidentified space western". While legally, they couldn't get specific, I think we all know what they were up to.

SibKhatru

Validated User
I have played Firefly with Over The Edge... excellent d6s system.

I have a hack set up for it with Leverage, but Cortex+ could be too close to the base sys for you, given the bundle of polyhedral stuff you need.

Lately, I'm toying with a Heroquest 2e version... simply starting with the keyword that fits with each character and letting my players mess around with the 'verse as is. Somewhere online, btw, there is a nifty job generator, but I can't find it in my bookmarks at the moment.

My favorite sys for it, though, remains Cinematic Unisystem, relying on the little Firefly article in Eden Studios Presents (I think in Vo. 1).

CrackedMan_SAH

Validated User
I'm familiar with the Unisystem article, but that isn't one of my favorite systems. I may go to it if I can't figure out how to make my d6 roll & keep idea work.

Top Bottom