🎨 Creative [Setting Crossover/Divergence Riff] I Left My Rift In Fed Francisco

The Watcher

Validated User
In the history you know, on one Earth in the Megaverse a massive world war resulted in a resurgence of magic and the opening of cross-dimensional rifts at the nexi of newly super-charged ley lines. Centuries later the world is occupied not only by humans but also aliens and entities from other dimensions. New societies and nations have arisen all around the globe from the ruins of the old world. Unfortunately, many of the most powerful, such as the Coalition States and Atlantis, are intolerant or aggressive, a threat to other societies who offend them or just seem easy prey. These malevolent and hostile powers cast long shadows over the world.

But suppose in one iteration of this Earth a counterbalancing force for tolerance and peace arrived. In another, brighter Earth which is the capitol of an advanced interstellar civilization an accident with a mysterious alien artifact occurs which causes the entire city of San Francisco with all its infrastructure intact to fall through an anomaly and take the place of the ruins of its counterpart in this magical, rift-abundant world. A San Francisco full of incredibly advanced technology, that is the headquarters of its prestigious exploration and defense organization, and has humans cordially living and working side-by-side with myriad alien beings.

What occurs when they begin to ascertain what happened and explore this new world they are in? How long before their presence is discovered by their new neighbors? How do those in the city react to what they learn about the world and how do the various powers react to them? What sort of relations does this San Francisco have with other nations and how does its presence alter the geopolitical landscape? And what changes to the course of events does the presence of this city cause?

I, The Watcher, pose this question to you all...

What If 24th Century San Francisco From The Federation Was Transported To Rifts Earth?

Assume it arrives in PA 102, the setting of Rifts as it was in its 1st edition, before various events of its metaplot such as the Juicer Uprising and Seige of Tolkeen occurred.

Last edited:

csyphrett

Validated User
The CS would lose its mind. Tolkien and Lazlo would ask the Federation for help and share information. The debris field that keeps people from going up in space could be cleared by Federation shuttles. The Feds wouldn't have any defense against magic, but a quarter of their population are psychic and would become more powerful in the RIFTS environment. The city might be able to protect itself from ground troops if a shield generation system was activated but they could lose a lot of people and buildings to bots, magic systems and others. On the other hand, a hand phaser could take even the strongest bot down. The remnants of the American Navy might make a truce with this new power. The vampires and Splugorth Atlanteans would not be happy, but I think True Atlanteans and Juicers and Crazies would flock to the Fed banner if it becomes known they are good guys first and they can fix the faulty systems the super soldiers use. Local refugees would love the protection from monsters. The Fed would put monsters down.

These are my first thoughts about the situation.
CES

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
The Federation will be able to use replicator tech to expand its industrial base quickly -- all they'll lack is antimatter and dilthium, and they can probably adapt to more conventional power sources.

The Watcher

Validated User
The debris field that keeps people from going up in space could be cleared by Federation shuttles.
The Orbital Communities would violently object to that, at least at first. Given time of course Fed Francisco could probably win any fight with them regarding the issue but being conflict averse, they most likely would prefer negotiate the matter. The question is, what would the Feds be willing to offer as an incentive to the Orbital Communities and would it be enough to overcome their paranoia about something horrible potentially escaping from the surface into orbit?

The Feds wouldn't have any defense against magic, but a quarter of their population are psychic and would become more powerful in the RIFTS environment.
Considering the fact that in the past it's been demonstrated that humans have latent psionic potential that can be activated with the right stimulus (such as an energy barrier at the edge of the galaxy), I wonder whether any of the human population would spontaneously develop psionics of some sort due to the environment, and if so, how much and how powerful do they become.

The city might be able to protect itself from ground troops if a shield generation system was activated but they could lose a lot of people and buildings to bots, magic systems and others.
My guess there's probably already a shield system already in place just in case of orbital bombardment. It's just a matter of keeping it powered.

csyphrett

Validated User
The Orbital Communities would violently object to that, at least at first. Given time of course Fed Francisco could probably win any fight with them regarding the issue but being conflict averse, they most likely would prefer negotiate the matter. The question is, what would the Feds be willing to offer as an incentive to the Orbital Communities and would it be enough to overcome their paranoia about something horrible potentially escaping from the surface into orbit?

Considering the fact that in the past it's been demonstrated that humans have latent psionic potential that can be activated with the right stimulus (such as an energy barrier at the edge of the galaxy), I wonder whether any of the human population would spontaneously develop psionics of some sort due to the environment, and if so, how much and how powerful do they become.

My guess there's probably already a shield system already in place just in case of orbital bombardment. It's just a matter of keeping it powered.
i don't think the orbiters have anything that can stop a shuttle craft short of a glitter boy. And a phaser would cut through armor almost instantly.

I am willing to stipulate that one in ten might be a psychic, and maybe one of those would be a mind melter at least.

I think that if the Fed and Lazlo get together that might change the axis of powers in the western half of the country, and might be a key in stopping the Vampire Kingdoms for example.

I can also see the CSA gearing up to battle the Fed but they have a lot of things they would have to push through before they can do that
CES

The Watcher

Validated User
i don't think the orbiters have anything that can stop a shuttle craft short of a glitter boy. And a phaser would cut through armor almost instantly.
I agree with that assessment. But would they? Or would they retreat when they first come under fire and try to talk things out first? The Feds do have a tendency to view violence as a last resort, after all.

I can also see the CSA gearing up to battle the Fed but they have a lot of things they would have to push through before they can do that
CES
I wonder how long it will take for the CSA to discover the presence of Fed Francisco on the West Coast. How long would it take for the Feds to go from rumor to confirmed fact as far as Prosek and his hierarchy are concerned.?

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
I wonder how long it will take for the CSA to discover the presence of Fed Francisco on the West Coast. How long would it take for the Feds to go from rumor to confirmed fact as far as Prosek and his hierarchy are concerned.?
Probably not too long, but can the Coalition meaningfully project military power all the way across the Rockies?

csyphrett

Validated User
I agree with that assessment. But would they? Or would they retreat when they first come under fire and try to talk things out first? The Feds do have a tendency to view violence as a last resort, after all.
I don't know how strong a shuttle's shields are, but I don't think an orbiter has anything that can chase a shuttle if it wants to move away from the conflict so they can talk on the radio if the shuttle captain is prepared to negotiate.

I wonder how long it will take for the CSA to discover the presence of Fed Francisco on the West Coast. How long would it take for the Feds to go from rumor to confirmed fact as far as Prosek and his hierarchy are concerned.
I don't know. Arzno is the last thing I have in that direction. I expect that the Baronies would start trading when they could, and then word would get around after that.
CES

csyphrett

Validated User
Probably not too long, but can the Coalition meaningfully project military power all the way across the Rockies?
They would have to go through the Colorado Baronies up near Denver, the wastes trying to get through Utah, and several city states going through Arzno. I don't have the books dealing with the war against Tolkien and Lazlo, but I expect the CSA to take a lot of losses there before crushing those states. I don't know if they would try to annex the Baronies, or use them for forward bases.
CES

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
This discussion of logistics in Rifts - a topic which I know little about - compares to Star Trek in an interesting way.

San Fran will have a network of transporters. As the city is home to Starfleet HQ, that campus alone will have enough transporters to manage crew and cargo transport for the Starfleet presence in Sol System. These transporters have a range which may be as far as the Moon. There is also a civilian network, which is probably lower-spec, consisting of booths that can connect to other booths anywhere on Earth or (logically) in orbit. And finally, there are transporters present on any light starships present in the city at time of transition.

The civilian network will take some repurposing if it's to be used outside the city. However, the Starfleet and ship-based transporters are more flexible, by design. They can push and pull from any location on the planet and beyond, given a sensor lock. As of the late 24th century, they can also perform point-to-point transfers. This means that anybody or anything the Federation can see on Earth can be moved to anywhere else on Earth in the space of a couple of seconds.

There are hard limits on this ability. First, there are only so many mil-spec transporters, and heavy cargo transporters are even more limited. I doubt you will have more than 20 or so heavy cargo units, 200 crew units, and another 400 civilian spacer units. (This number is extraordinarily fuzzy and I expect to be off by an order of magnitude or more.) Second, transporters are relatively easy to disrupt if you have the tech, and Rifts Earth is the definition of a disruptive environment thanks to dimensional anomalies, psychic phenomena, and a range of high-powered hypertech running around. Third, the power drain is likely to be considerable.

I suspect 24th century San Fran is fed by a series of solar relays. As these no longer exist, the city will arrive running on backup power. This will be the scariest part of their visit, I think. Now, Star Trek Earth has been on the receiving end of some pretty scary stuff. Remember the planetbuster in the Bay, and the downtown dreadnaught crash from the Kelvin timeline? That doesn't count: wrong timeline, and small potatoes, besides. Main Trek timeline Earth has been visited by V'ger, the Whale Probe, a Borg cube, and a Breen bombing run that explicitly hit San Fran pretty hard. So my guess is that the city has a decent amount of reserve power in antimatter cells, plus modern shielding and a decent amount of space-targeted weaponry (which is practically useless because all the trouble on Rifts Earth is below the horizon).

Power is fairly easy to restore. The Federation has mature fusion technology, and their city is sitting on a coastline. This is even easier than dipping into a gas giant to replenish deuterium reserves. If they don't already exist, the city will quickly develop seawater extraction facilities and a bank of emergency fusion reactors. And I mean quickly; with industrial replicators, they could be running in half an hour or so. Longer if they want to conserve power (and assembling large-scale infrastructure on an atom-by-atom basis is the most inefficient thing I can imagine). But they might not want to conserve power.

This all paints a pretty dominant picture of Federation San Fran in a fight.

The Federation doesn't want to get in a fight.

In fact, they'll try very hard to avoid conflict. Their first instinct will be to barricade themselves in the city, and assess the outside world at a distance. They don't want to contaminate pre-warp cultures - that's very big for them. Of course, they also don't want to allow an invalid timeline to exist. And many of them don't want to be stuck in a single city when once they roamed the cosmos. So I think you'll see a three-way split in opinions.

The Isolationist faction wants to keep San Francisco locked off from the outer Earth, and carefully establish relations as more research is done. This is probably the majority position in Starfleet, who hold all the military-analogous tech (they think of themselves more as a large observatory, though).

The Restorationist faction wants to correct the timeline. To the Federation, this is a reasonable position; they've done it before, through various types of time travel. To Rifts Earth, it means the complete destruction of history and entire populations. This would almost be cause for a rag-tag band of unlikely heroes to sneak into the city and sabotage their doomsday device, if the Federation wasn't so darn friendly and devoted to seeing things from the perspective of Rifts Earth too.

The Integrationist faction wants to get involved in Rifts Earth. There are a lot of private off-world traders in the Federation, who are used to going beyond the frontier and getting involved with other cultures. As the Federation itself is pretty luxurious, these people are not capitalists. They're adventurers, more in it for the experience than the gold.

And this is before we factor in the probability that this is the capitol of an interstellar polity, and will be home to agents of various powers. We shouldn't be surprised to see a couple of cells of Tal'shiar, some shapeshifters from the Dominion "keeping an eye on the solids", quite a few Klingons (both overt and covert), various ambassadors from extremely odd places, a surprising number of Vulcans (who look like haughty elves and might be megadamage creatures in their own right), and maybe a simple tailor.

Oh, we haven't even met the locals yet. My bet's on whoever lives in the Pacific Ocean, because that's the first place the city will go for power...

Top Bottom