🎨 Creative [Setting Crossover/Divergence Riff] I Left My Rift In Fed Francisco

csyphrett

Validated User
It occurs to me that I know almost nothing about Rifts West Coast North America.
The only two books I have for the West are New West and Arzno. The New West just states California's major cities were wiped out and it's basically gone back to nature.

Dropping Fedcisco on the ruins of the earlier city would isolate it from the rest of the country for a while but the tribes in the area would potentially be warned by the spirits of incoming. Hunters and monsters would notice the city if they cut into the area far enough. The New Navy may be warned by the intelligent sea life that something happened.

Potentially the FED might be able to get on their own two feet before being discovered, and deal with their psychics tuning up.
CES

The Watcher

Validated User
It's not so much a question of if their technology gets out as it is when. Besides those possibilities, as someone pointed out, there are going to have been agents of other governments in San Francisco, not all of whom are super concerned about not interfering. At least one will see some advantage to getting the technology out there.
Speaking of which, here are some thoughts about which governments those are and their potential motives for trading or leaking technology.

Romulans - The discovery of actual functional magic could potentially give new capabilities to the Federation should Fed Francisco ever find a way to return home or even just communicate with it. Recognizing this, agents of the Tal'shiar would attempt to obtain knowledge of these arcane techniques for themselves to pass onto the Empire if they ever get the opportunity, and offering to trade technological secrets for them would be one of their methods of acquiring such.

The Dominion - The number one priority of The Founders would be to weaken or neutralize any potential threats to the Great Link. Which could include various Alien Intelligences such as Vampires and the Splugorth once they find out about them, due to their capabilities and expansionist nature. Keeping them preoccupied by making their existing foes stronger with advances technology could serve their purposes.

Cardassians - Similar motives to the Romulans. Plus if they find out about what the Dominion is doing they might be tempted to muck with their plans as revenge for what happened near the end of the Dominion War.

The Ferengi - Well, they're simple. They'd like to get rich and maybe get a seat at the table of various transdimensional trading arrangements and organizations.

Klingons - They could be potentially be tempted to help any "warrior cultures" they learn about and earns their respect by giving them weapons technology.

Last edited:

csyphrett

Validated User
Also the Naruni and other manufacturers based off Phase World would want to expand operations into the Fed universe. I don't know how their plasma cannons would stack up against phasers and disruptors, but they do have personal fields that might be of use.
CES

vernuf

Validated User
Klingons - They could be potentially be tempted to help any "warrior cultures" they learn about and earns their respect by giving them weapons technology.
Even disregarding various warrior cultures, there's plenty of opportunity for them to gain "honor and glory" on Rifts Earth and the other detailed dimensions. Imagine them finding out about the Four Horsemen in Africa or Wormwood? The Gargoyle War in Europe? Heck, they'd probably be among the few D-bees to look forward to an encounter with Coalition forces.

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Bear in mind that Klingons talk big about honour, then turn around and make Game of Thrones seem like a happy family reunion. Klingon goals are actually to be powerful and respected/feared, by any means necessary.

At least, that's the case under the Empire, where advancement is difficult due to a very great number of other Klingons competing. Perhaps some castaway Klingons would go, "Finally!", and run off into the wilderness with a loincloth and a bat'leth in pursuit of honour untainted by political necessity.

And others would smile and nod and look for the first awful ancient god that's selling power for souls. Being from another universe, there's a strong chance that they have no compatible soul to deliver anyway. If you're going to screw over your allies in the pursuit of power, think big!

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
...if the Senate, or whatever it's called, is in session then there's probably going to be at least one of every Federation member species on site. More than one, likely, counting their personal staff.

(What about the repercussions back home, where the government just got decapitated? Will they be able to tell it was a dimensional shift and not a massive phaser strike? Do they get the ruins of Rifts San Fran?)

This will probably include Hortas, who are always fun. Also Medusans, who are no kidding eldritch energy beings that drive mere mortals mad (edit: and then dead) on sight. Not exactly in the godlike spectrum as far as I can tell, but still.

macd21

Validated User
I don’t think the presence of the Feds would change much, really. They’d just be once more super-tech faction on a planet full of them. Their weapons are nothing special and they lack power armour. If they don’t make allies soon, they’ll probably eventually be conquered by the Coalition or destroyed by some vile monstrosity.

The Watcher

Validated User
...if the Senate, or whatever it's called, is in session then there's probably going to be at least one of every Federation member species on site. More than one, likely, counting their personal staff.

(What about the repercussions back home, where the government just got decapitated? Will they be able to tell it was a dimensional shift and not a massive phaser strike? Do they get the ruins of Rifts San Fran?)
The ruins of Rifts San Francisco switching places with Fed Francisco seems logical. As for whether anyone would be able to tell what happened, considering the fact there would be plenty of ships in orbit observing the planet and the quality of Federation sensors, I'd assume they'd be able to determine quickly that some sort of dimensional displacement occurred.

Are you going to run this as a game, Watcher?
CES
No immediate plans to do so, no. I don't think I have enough in-depth Rifts knowledge to do it justice, to tell the truth. I just have the original core book and the Ultimate Edition. Beyond that, all my knowledge of the setting comes from what I've read about it on forums and reviews and summaries of the other books.

I don’t think the presence of the Feds would change much, really. They’d just be once more super-tech faction on a planet full of them. Their weapons are nothing special and they lack power armour. If they don’t make allies soon, they’ll probably eventually be conquered by the Coalition or destroyed by some vile monstrosity.
I've got to disagree with this assessment for two reasons:

1. Attitude: The big difference that sets the Feds apart from the majority of the super-tech factions of Rifts Earth is they're actually friendly and benevolent. Most of the other advanced human societies are either expansionist and hostile to non-humans and magic or isolationist and wary of both at best. Except for the New Navy and possibly the Republic of Japan, there aren't any willing to create trade agreements and alliances with D-Bees and openly cooperate with them. Of course, they'll also try to establish relations with various human communities as well. A major technological power that consists of humans and aliens working together, that offers assistance and friendship to both human and D-Bee communities and encourages cordial relations between them, could potentially have a big effect culturally and politically.

2. Technological Capabilities: I think you're undestimating the advantages the Feds enjoy technologically. Their weapons are nothing to sneeze at. Even their sidearms are capable of doing serious damage when set at maximum power. Ship-scale weapons like phasers, photon torpedoes and quantum torpedoes would all be immensely destructive. Defensively, not only can they make things that can withstand punishment and keep going (as we've seen every time a ship with no shields is hit in combat and survives) but shield technology provides even greater capability to soak damage. Fed advanced sensors can give them accurate intelligence on the numbers and capabilities of any forces sent against them.

Oh, and the Feds lack power armor until they decided they need some. Once they do, all they have to do is do a detailed scan of any power armor they want to copy, maybe tweak the design to upgrade the systems to incorporate phasers and shields and other Fed tech, and then use replicators to crank out whole battalions in a lazy afternoon. The same goes for other equipment and goods. And let's not forget transporters. Until counter-measures are developed the Feds would be able to just beam up Coaliton personnel out of their vehicles and power armor, and move their troops miles away from where they should be.

Of course, all of the above doesn't eliminate the possibility of Fed Francisco being destroyed or severely hurt by a vile monstrosity since magic is sort of an out of context problem for the Feds (though the longer they're around to make friends with societies which practice magic the safer they'll become from such a possibility). I doubt that the Coaltion has a chance of posing an existential threat to the city anytime soon though, even without taking the geographic distance and various nations acting as buffer states into account.

Top Bottom