• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative Setting Riff: A well traveled multiverse

Malkavian87

Validated User
I'd like a game/setting that really made use of the notion of the multiverse. Rick and Morty really showed me how nuts you can go with such a concept. But travelling the multiverse isn't a major aspect of hardly any RPG. The only one that comes too mind is GURPS Infinite Worlds. But that's still far too tame to me, I want to turn it up to 11. Infinite Worlds is a lot like Star Trek. Exploring other realities is where the focus lies, cause it's all still fairly new. But I want Star Wars. Our corner of the multiverse is an ancient place. Sure, it being infinite there's always more to explore. But millions of alternate Earths and stranger places already made contact with each other centuries or even millennia ago. Between these there's constant travel, there's trade, there's crime, there's war. There's vast empires that encompass thousands of realities. Always looking to conquer more, our Earth or Narnia might be next.
They have to keep expanding. Cause somewhere out there among that infinite number of realities is an empire 100 or even a 1000 or more times larger. They need to be strong enough before being discovered by such a power, to not be easy pickings. And it's not so much about conquering worlds as it is about gathering mana. Anything supernatural or superscience, anything that breaks or bends the basic underpinnings of realities in our corner of the multiverse, is all powered by mana. Some realities have a lot of it, some hardly any at all. It's the former that generally get conquered and harvested. Creating huge stockpiles of magical energy.

As for PCs; I think it first of all would need some kind of "create your own race/species" rules. The more well traveled parts of the multiverse should look like the Mos Eisley Cantina turned up to 11. In a multiverse where everything is possible, nearly anything should be playable. From a satyr to a robot to a talking turtle or a gray alien.
As for what the PCs do, they could just be traders or adventurers. Travelling the multiverse for fun and profit/mana. But freedom fighters could be interesting. Help defend a specific world against a conqueror looking to enslave and harvest. The empire won't be interested anymore if the invasion would end up costing too much compared to what can be gained.

Any thoughts?

Verenes Aoene

Materialist Spiritualist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
[MENTION=2488]MoonHunter[/MENTION], I summon thee. You've done some pretty hefty worldbuilding for your Wanderer's Way setting about multiverse mechanics, right?

For the OP, something to consider is how the different mana types work with each other. Does tech interfere with magic, or vice versa? Or do they work well together?

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, here are a couple hundred posts on the subject.

To sum up:
The *Verse is the sum of all existence, from the most mundane of spheres to the highest spiritual planes. Every thing that is remotely possible does exists somewhere in the *Verse. Every line of existence branches from the prime. Lines that are actually strong enough to exist materially become spheres. Each sphere is a unique combination of base energy forms: matter, energy, pattern, and probability. Certain combinations have a strong synergy, creating waves of probability. The more basic energy the line of existence has, the stronger the waves. These waves influence other lesser lines of existence. They fall into a similar combinations: similar but different. The Earth is a powerful line with many nodes. Most of the spheres “near” it in the *Verse are alternates based on it. Even the dreams of those of Earth influence the lines around it. If a given area of the *Verse is a symphony, and around here it follows the line of music that is Earth.

--- -0- ---

To address what you touched on, every multiversal game needs to be a point buy system, preferably one that can handle (super) powers. This will let you build what ever species or characters you want.

What you need to address is "do you bring your own rules of reality with you"? So, can I cast magic everywhere, even on a world where magic does not exist? So if I go to a cybernetic setting and get bionics and beyond, I can use them anywhere? If I go to a supers world and spend enough money to buy super powers, do I have powers everywhere? If I am a blood walker from this exotic setting where I am balanced with exotic fighters and fate witches, but can I do blood walking anywhere (without balance). Will the Mecha work anywhere? Can I have a 30 robot soldiers that I can bring with me while adventuring. They were dirt cheap units that were military surplus on Skynet defeated world, I got them for a bag of plantable grain seed. Will my windship fly no matter where I take it. Can I add a reality generator to it so it keeps working no matter what? And can I use the reality generators to jump realities?

The flip side is that you have to follow the local rules. (I use D-Stress that makes your life complicated when you flaunt local rules, so it is a trade off).

Some worlds will change you to conform to them, other worlds won't care.

Also, how do you want people to get aroun? Is there many methods or just one?

Last edited:

Lord Raziere

Banned
Validated User
My thoughts are:
Hi I'm an Angel Demon, these are my friends: a warrior from a race of all female orc amazons who fight for good, a shadowfolk who has to wear clothes to cover themselves up to make sure they don't get banished back to their world of shadows by the sun, the hybrid who is one fourth of everything don't ask me how, a super-intelligent shade of red, and a miniature cthulhu, be nice: mini-cthulhu is still getting used to not causing insanity to everyone around them.

We're not even the strangest things you'll find in this neighborhood. want to go get some lunch?

jsnead

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
This thread reminds me of this utterly glorious and amazing thread from a decade ago traders of the omniversal slipways, which also included this lovely analysis of different types of stories and their relationship to setting:

A crucial difference between heroic myth and trader myth is the degree to which the world can be changed. A hero is knocking his shoulders on the corners of the universe all the time; he can't help but change it all in his image. He doesn't have to work at it at all, the child of chance and privilege. A trader is a small being in a vast and endless omniverse; triumphs and failures are, by the nature of that, of the self rather than of one's surroundings. The hero is the mirror of his universe. The trader is the mirror of himself, and he has to work hard to polish that surface to the desired image.
I love a good trader story and can definitely enjoy a good trickster story - the first is exemplified in RPGs with a Traveller merchant-based campaign, while the second is essentially every episode of Dr Who, and any good Dr Who-esque RPG session. Omniverse settings where the focus is exploration and solving local problems (in a wide variety of different locations) rather than one control seem ideal for this this type of setting.

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Some other points to address, after we address those first few points....

Is there a society/ group throughout the *verse? What do they do? What do they control? Why do they do it?

What do you want players to do?

The BIG ONE: What are the limits on the characters? I mean after a couple of trips, you can do just about anything.
Limits are actually the Control C of the 7Cs

Last edited:

Malkavian87

Validated User
My idea is that mana can be universally used in the known multiverse, if you have mana you make something magical/supernatural/science happen in any reality. But there's three limiting factors:

1. Characters will have built in restrictions in how they can utilize mana. Based on what kind of supernatural creature, magic or superscience user they are.
2. Unless it has been purified (a difficult process) all mana has a particular resonance based on its source. This comes with both restrictions on how it can be used and side effects. For instance in an Atompunk world mana will come in the form of nuclear radiation. This can grant superpowers or power superscience. But it comes with the danger of grotesque (physical) mutations and just plain radiation sickness. It will also be less useful for something like witchcraft.
3. With the great powers stockpiling it to such an extent, mana tends to be a bit scarce. There are high mana worlds where any spellcaster, creature or artifact is automatically recharged almost immediately. But if these places have had much contact with the multiverse at large they probably ended up being harvested, leaving nothing but mana-less wastelands. Or they're incredibly locked down and xenophobic, cause they're defending against such a fate.

Last edited:

Malkavian87

Validated User
Is there a society/ group throughout the *verse? What do they do? What do they control? Why do they do it?
I think the known multiverse would basically just be dominated by ever expanding empires. But I suppose there also needs to be a federation of allied worlds as the good guys. Those would still need to keep expanding and stockpile mana too, but on a humane voluntary basis.

What do you want players to do?
Either fringers trying to survive and earn some mana or resistance fighters helping worlds fight invasion.

The BIG ONE: What are the limits on the characters? I mean after a couple of trips, you can do just about anything.
See my extra info about mana.

Last edited:

SlideAway

failing every quest
Validated User
Empires that get too big start fracturing because of the weight of their own bureaucracy.

With bigger comes more power, numerically, but greater inefficiency. The genius of the individual is stifled.

People start looking to break things or break away.

Smaller aggressors look to poach at the fringes. Especially mana...

Top Bottom