[Setting riff - Metamophasis Alpha] The Argon

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
First and Foremost - If you have questions or ideas, post them... I will respond. If you want to add things, thow it out there (I always have room for more possible pods).

Things that I am doing....

I am going to be running this with my own system, Convergence Point, not MA. I have always been planning on that because while I like the concept of a Metamorphasis Alpha game, I have always looked at the system and gone .. "eh.". I have also always hated the Warren's general design for two reasons: the first was that it was designed to make the GM's life easier but makes little sense as a Starship, the second is all the source materials for the genre have either spinning circular/ ring ships or look like Star Lost. Sorry, Star Lost is my inspiration for this campaign. (A series that has so much potential... but failed.... kinda like Heroes or Alphas). So, you will see a lot of Star Lost and Silent Running in my setting design.)

I am riffing a bit more on the Greek Analogy in my personal work.

The ship is now called The Aegean (rather than the Argon, so I could call the adventurers Argonauts). I like to think of each Pod as an Island or City State. The Gods are of course the Greek Ones. I am adding as much mythology as possible (there will be a Minotaur Moog out there). Unless otherwise stated, we are sticking to a Greek look in clothing and faux architecture. (The Androids in the Center of the ship wear the toga and look of the Greeks.)

While we have swords and things, this is mostly a martial arts campaign. Skilled Unarmed Combat (and special technique weaponed) is our combat mechanic of choice. We will either have a monk or monk trained member (given his normal preferences). The Corruptor (that the monks are hunting and fighting) is going to be a red herring for the campaign... thus giving a tie in to the bigger issues.

I am thinking about a save the ship sort of event... pending issue made complicated by The Gods. (Maintenance is causing an issue to have people show their true colors). The current Empire (Manazon probably) that is forming up on the Strut is my catalyst.

You can do other campaigns/ chronicles, but I like this sort of dramatic save everything kind of story. This is a book series rather than my normal "movie" (4 to 8 sessions), so we are looking at 16 to 50 sessions to cover the major arc. I need to see what people are looking for, then I can choose pods on the affected strut.

Again, this is just a maybe chronicle... but as you can all see that I am pretty detailed in my pre-planning (because I do all this pre-planning there is little to nothing I need to do during play (just some scene bits and a few npcs as needed)... this allows me to have waning interest in the chronicle down the line, but still have everything in place for a great chronicle (all the heavy lifting is all done).

Last edited:

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just spent the last 7 hours reading this entire thread between spurts of work. I am comparing it to my huge document (master expanded outline with extra bits).

I was always somewhat impressed when someone said they had read the thread. Now I am more so.

Wow.

It is an amazing amount of work. Wayyyy to many posts. Some repeats, but then again there was a lot of clarification done and done again.

There is a great deal of depth here, with lots of interlinked elements - carefully layered so if you want to exclude or minimize one element the other things come away cleanly. There are a lot of key ideas that you utilize here for Your Argon. (Oy the plotline section in the master document is ... I am not sure I have the word for it.. but geez.. lots of stuff)

I had forgotten pieces of it or was still thinking about it one way, when the final documentation has it another. I am getting this document and setting straight in my head again. I will see what needs to be added or if I just need to utilize what is there (which is probable).

Again, if you have a question or idea, post it up.

If you want, just dive in on a random page and read a few dozen posts.. see what is going on. or start with post 208 (on page 21) and follow the posts from there to see what is going on. It is a lot to take in. So take it slow and in chewable bites.

Last edited:

OneSmallGod

Validated User
YMMV, but...

I picture Argon with a really strong "Silent Running" vibe. The pods are domes, and are arranged around and along the Core in Frames.

At each Frame, six Stalks extend outward from the Core, 60 degrees apart. The Stalks are about 80km long. There's a 50km-diameter Pod attached to the centerpoint of each Stalk , one facing aft and and another foreward, and a third "Outboard" at the end of the Stalk. There are Struts that connect the six Stalks to one another - the Inboard Struts run from centerpoint to centerpoint, while the Outboard Struts run just beneath the Outboard Pods. At the midpoint of each Strut is a Node which houses support facilities - switching points for trams, storage for components, etc. Nodes Also house the docking points for "Cans", which are storage modules for bulk raw materials and the like which are fastened to the outside of the Struts. Most Cans have been untouched since Launch, and nobody (except perhaps the "Sleeping God" Colony) knows what they contain.

The Outboard Nodes are excellent sites for away-craft hangars and sensor arrays. Both Outboard and Inboard nodes are end-points for the secondary Inter-Frame Struts which run foreward and aft along the length of the ship.

Each Frame houses 18 Pods. There are 32 Frames spaced along the Core, about 25km apart.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I picture Argon with a really strong "Silent Running" vibe. The pods are domes, and are arranged around and along the Core in Frames.
Other than the size of things, the Valley Forge is a great visual for the Argon.
http://www.tboake.com/silent_running_questions.html
It just has too few pods. (It is also too small for a generation ship.)

Most people haven't seen Star Lost (which is not a bad thing). Its ship is another contender for an Argon Set up
http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/props/

The reason I didn't like the Starlost arrangment was three fold.
1) You had to go through some pods to get to others.
1b) In the show they had to go through a few pods because they could not get into the main ship from their section of pods. (Which was wierd and inconsistant given they entered and exited the ship body a couple of times.

2) The ship, which is supposed to land, couldn't support those pods in gravity. (Hence why the Argon's Stuts are hinged at the body.)

3) It was kind of ugly.

Your visualization of The Argon is great. It works for me, with just a tweak to the existing mechanics. The additional component to the strut makes sense.

You get bonus points for the Cans/ Storage Pods. I implied they were along the inside the struts, but never said much about those. (Other than the carbon collector pod.) Having them external or partially external makes sense for the big spiders to move and drop for landing.

They would also be useful as places for weird stuff, odd equipment, and a place for Moogs and Roamers to live (or have villages).

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I have been playing around with Trans-Dimensional Campaigns again.... Fringeworthy, the Waunderer's Way for Convergence Point, and Lords of Gossamer and Shadow.

What would happen if a Gate or Door opened here on The Argon (Aegean)?

None of these games have a Prime Directive (though Fringeworthy's IDA teams are often gentle in its entry and impact).

Want to Freak out The Gods? Oh yah. Humans that "grok" the tech that are Not From the Argon! How did they get here? Can more come? Can our Human's leave? They might be more "active" in dealing with The Aliens!

What "Wrong Thoughts" are they going to give the local Humans? Will any of the factions latch on to the new humans and try to get them to help or get info from them?

If a LoG&S Lord is here, will they want this as a Domain? It is handy to have tech this great.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Alas, my players have shot down every setting I have thrown at them and want to go play something retro/ old school. I guess I am not GMing them after all.

Still, there would be a lot of fun playing this setting... or one of the others.

There are a lot of stories to be told, even if you didn't try to save the ship... the world here allows for a lot of different adventures by setting up your strut's biomes.

In many ways, it is just another fantasy game. The character's world is just different (mechanical, but not coached in those terms). We have barbarian/nomads (in the halls), mutants/moogers in the edges. You have pretty lands surround by other forces. You have gods and magic. Alien and Powerful Elven figures in faraway lands. You are looking for the magic thing that will set stuff right (since it was stolen so long ago.)

You want a religious war, you could have it. You want bad empires and good kingdoms, okay done.

You don't have to leave the biome even. heck you could have classic martial arts genre stories here.

Top Bottom