• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Settings with a similar "vibe" to WFRP, but not as grimdark?

Spartan

Tarpit Gamer
Validated User
I keep seeing this one getting mentioned over the years, but I've never really picked up on why it's so popular. If it's what I'm after, I'm certainly willing to give it a look. On that website, though, I wasn't able to find anything that looked like a surface-level introduction.
I can be a helpful Hârniac. :)

Here's an intro:

Here's a publisher of Hârn material:

Here's another:

And the ever-friendly Hârn Forum:

With regards to Thedas, I'm not an authority on the setting (I just think it's cool), so I'll leave that to others. ☺

Last edited:

Rupert

Validated User
I think I just keep forgetting how late in the medieval period the Thirty Years War was. In any event, I keep being tempted to just use the map and nations of Theah and cram in elves and wizards and shit where I feel like. :D
The Thirty Years' War (and the roughly contemporaneous English Civil War) were at the earliest the end of the Renaissance and the beginning of the Age of Reason/Early Modern Europe. They were full-on gunpowder wars, and saw the eclipse of the pikeman by the musketeer, and the introduction of useful field artillery.

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
I can be a helpful Hârniac. :)

Here's an intro:
Thanks! I'll give those a look.
The Thirty Years' War (and the roughly contemporaneous English Civil War) were at the earliest the end of the Renaissance and the beginning of the Age of Reason/Early Modern Europe.
I think I might be prone to confusing the Renaissance with the Age of Reason. My grasp of European history is pretty tenuous. 😓

LCDR Seamonkey

Urban Monkey Warfare
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I also forgot Thedas, the setting for Dragon Age. Not too far off Warhammer, not as grimdark. I kind of think of Dragon Age, Shadow of the Demon Lord, and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay to be alternate realities of each other. :)

I dunno, Thedas has always seemed pretty grimdark to me. The setting is pretty much designed so that there are no right answers to any moral dilemma.

Spartan

Tarpit Gamer
Validated User
I dunno, Thedas has always seemed pretty grimdark to me. The setting is pretty much designed so that there are no right answers to any moral dilemma.
I guess it depends on what seems grim to any given person. :) Thedas certainly isn't sunshine and lollipops but it isn't as dark to me as SotDL. Some of that is naaaaasty, but wonderful. :)

tartex

Minion of Kitchensink
Validated User
The Dark Eye could be a good fit. The issue is that currently the only area that is available in English in the trademark TDE level of detail, "The Warring Kingdoms", is a backwoods more medieval area. The more Renaissance And central setting parts are not explored in English yet.

Makrakken

Validated User
Symbaroum would maybe be a good choice.

A great suggestion.

The Warhammer Battle World, from around 6th Edition I think, is very different to the original WFRP 1st Edition. Much of the Battle fluff was incorporated into 2nd Edition (& possibly 3rd). It remains to be seen how much influence the old Battle stuff will have on 4th Edition.

Anyway, the Battle World is more heroic & far less 'muddy' than original WFRP with lords on griffins wielding runeswords, High Elf mages, Dwarven steamtanks, gyrocopters & ironclads & much more. I always got the impression that there's a lot more hope in the Battle version of the world than the 1st Edition original WFRP setting.

I've played WFRP since it was first released through 1st, 2nd, a brief dip into 3rd, Zweihander & now 4th, mainly as GM in a grim & perilous setting, but also as a player in a more heroic version.

That GM (2nd Edition with some houserules, but close to vanilla) did the following & you might want to consider it.

- Award more XP to your players each session to give the game more of a 'hero's journey & evolution' feel.
- At the end of every session, the players should be able to advance something.
- Drop the enemies within of Chaos cultists in every town & a Skaven metropolis under every city.
- That's not to say get rid of them completely, but not every sewer has a band of Skaven, nor is every conspiracy a Chaos plot.
- Make representatives of the Colleges of Magic respected as defenders of the Empire across the kingdom. This is a small tweak but makes a big difference.
- As does making Church of Sigmar less Catholic & more Anglican.
- Have Witch Hunters as an extreme minority, still feared, but also derided by many, especially in bigger towns & cities.
- Chaos Beastmen rare & hunted in the forests of the Empire.

All of these are minor changes to your canon & only one rule change. From my experience that campaign kept the overall feel of the world, but also felt like a better place where the characters could actually make a big difference.

YMMV, but probably worth considering.

Top Bottom