Settling on Social Skills; Got Four, Need a Fifth

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
Connections or Contacts don't have to be situational, they can represent your ability to form new networks and connections as needed. Some people are just good at making friends, and others are not. You could call it Networking

Xander

Validated User
Right, a traveller may still be to have acquaintances in a distant land... "Your cousin Fred from Lower Slobovia suggested I make your acquaintance."

EggRogue

Validated User
I'd suggest changing Command to Leadership, to indicate it is the positive aspect of influencing people with strength of personality. Then the negative aspect would be Intimidation. I'd also suggest changing Empathy to Insight, in the sense that you can be great at reading people without necessarily having empathy. Finally add in Negotiation for hammering out a deal of some sort. You could also consider having Streetwise, the etiquette of the underworld.

Xander

Validated User
Really, for a GAME, you should have elements that contribute to the game and stories to be told. It may not be practical or necessary to try to capture every kind or style of social interaction.

Unless you're a politician or minister, you probably don't need a Public Speaking skill. Unless you're in an army, you may not need a Command skill.

Maybe only one Social score is needed, with some fill-in perks/edges/skills as needed for specialties like Bargain, Intimidate or whatever. Someone who is strong in Social is probably strong in every social aspect, not in one or two narrowly defined skills.

crusher bob

Validated User
Hmm, I have some complaints about 'deception' in that other than defend against empathy, it doesn't seem to do anything by itself.

If I want to get those people to do what I want, then charm or command seems to be the skill I'd use. If I want to hide the fact that I hate those people and need to conceal that hatred while I'm being nice to them, then deception seems to be required. But if I have limited points to put into social skills, then charm or command seems to be much more able by itself. If I have a high deception, but low charm/command, what can I do (socially) other than have a good poker face?

In addition, there seems to be no 'truthiness' alternative to deception. If I want to convince the people I'm addressing that I'm telling the truth (when I am telling the truth), deception probably shouldn't be the go to skill. But that's the only skill that seems to be able to change how people view what you say.

Maybe roll 'deception' into a poise/face/presence skill? So you use it to avoid losing your cool when socially attacked, maintain a poker face, conceal or make obvious your motivations/emotional state, etc?

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
I always liked the old Call of Cthulhu skill "Debate", which involved making the most reasonable case to people.

Xander

Validated User
I did a little research on communication styles.

I found the classic ethos/pathos/logos methods of persuasion, appealing to (the speaker's) virtue, or the listener's emotion or reason.

Maybe these might be the simplest ways to describe many forms of communication. Still thinking.

Faethor

Validated User
Coc's Debate (appeals to logic) was complemented by Oratory (appeals to emotion), before both were ditched for that pale pretender "persuasion". You also had 'fast talk' for b*llshitting and flim-flam.

Kleitengraas2017

Have you thought about good old-fashioned intimidation? It's different from command in that the person isn't necessarily "knowledgeable or reliable" - just brute force coercion.

Octopus Prime

Retired User
Coc's Debate (appeals to logic) was complemented by Oratory (appeals to emotion), before both were ditched for that pale pretender "persuasion". You also had 'fast talk' for b*llshitting and flim-flam.
Mythcreants did a bit about why they liked Persuasion and Fast-Talk. Rather than being means-based (whether your being charming or menacing or reasonable), they were ends-based; Persuasion was for changing minds long-term, and Fast Talk was for changing minds short-term.

Top Bottom