• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[SF] Looking for "Transhumanist Cyberpunk"

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
So, I enjoy the Cyberpunk sub-genre of science fiction. However, recently, I've found that the "Cyberpunk" stories I've enjoyed the most have been ones with Transhumanist themes, either directly or in-directly - Ghost in the Shell, Altered Carbon, and most recently, Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Can anyone give me recommendations for other Cyberpunk novels, comics or video games from the past, oh, 30 years (going back to the late 80s) that have also used Transhumanist themes?

Once-ler

Globally Indigent
Validated User
Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. Not cyberpunk, but Greg Bear's Hull Zero Three examined transhumanism so well that it may have changed how I feel about space exploration/colonization.

tallyrand

Validated User
The DC/Vertigo series Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis is pretty darn good if you are a fan of the genre and have somehow managed to avoid it for the last decade.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Takeshi Kovacs books. Their far advanced in transhumanism (having uploads which are common and the most usual way for space travel, forking and the like), but they're definitely Cyberpunk (dealing how all that tech didn't solve the problems of human nature, "strret will find it use", the priviladgedd rich vs the poor).

Shaira

Validated User
Hope you don't mind the shameless self-plug, but you might be interested in my novel "Mindjammer" (www.mindjammer.com) - it's transhuman space opera, with major cyberpunk themes.

Cheers,

Sarah

J. H. Frank

wasn't born with enough middle fingers
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Takeshi Kovacs books. Their far advanced in transhumanism (having uploads which are common and the most usual way for space travel, forking and the like), but they're definitely Cyberpunk (dealing how all that tech didn't solve the problems of human nature, "strret will find it use", the priviladgedd rich vs the poor).
He mentioned Altered Carbon in the OP.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
He mentioned Altered Carbon in the OP.
My eye somehow sliped past that going form GiTS to Deus Ex.
:eek:
Through I think that "Woken Furies" is probably the most Cyberpunk of the novels (with the "Fallen Angels" being the least, as it almost a straight sci-fi story. Almost).

SJE

Bibliomancer
Validated User
Peter f. Hamilton- particularly the Void Trilogy. Also some more Stross like Glasshouse or some Iain Banks like Excession.

Megazver

Validated User
Transmetropolitan is the best thing ever. You should read the best thing ever.

Or Warren Ellis will make fun of you over the internet.

Top Bottom