• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Shadespire] Casual/Newbie friendly discussion thread

chrespo

Voice Actor
Validated User
Wait, why are you buying everything? Is this a thing people do?
I am primarily a painter, so I want to get all the cool warbands to paint. Also, having all the cards will be nice for deck building purposes. I am not sure this is what other people are going to do, or if it is even advisable.

Last edited:

Vanger

Knuddelmonster
Validated User
You can (deckbuilding isn't hugely restrictive), but there are a number of common core cards that are useful for any deck in the starter set (like generic objectives that are "capture objective X" and similar, rather than the less generic ones in warband sets), and you're expected to have the starter set because you'll need the boards and tokens (at the start of the game, each player contributes one of their boards to make the battlefield, using whichever side of that board oriented as they choose, so there's some variation in battlefield).

Which cards are available where are can be found here.
Thank you very much, this was the answer I was looking for.

The only question remains, is there any reason to buy the old starter set over Nightvault? Aside from the warbands contained in it. How much does board influence the games? Will the 2 boxes contain the same general cards?

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
Thank you very much, this was the answer I was looking for.

The only question remains, is there any reason to buy the old starter set over Nightvault? Aside from the warbands contained in it. How much does board influence the games? Will the 2 boxes contain the same general cards?
I've not seen the contents of the new starter set, but GW have said that the core cards will be in the new set, and it's rumoured that the old starter set warbands are being repackaged separately if you still want those down the line.

Different boards have different placements of starting hexes, and different impassable spaces (on some of them), so they're essentially the "terrain" of the game. The Nightvault set also contains rules for magic, which is new, and presumably includes errata and updates from the previous version of the rules, so I'd recommend getting Nightvault. There's a summary of what's in the new box here.

wirecrossing

illegal jokes
Validated User
Well, price-wise, its not horribly terribly painful to do. I mean, if I was playing regularly I would too. As is, I'm getting all the Aristeia stuff.
I am primarily a painter, so I want to get all the cool warbands to paint. Also, having all the cards will be nice for deck building purposes. I am not sure this is what other people are going to do, or if it is even advisable.
I never thought of that. Cool.

Darting Flea

Validated User
Wait, why are you buying everything? Is this a thing people do?
As above there is the collecting aspect but also each warband comes with new common cards. So players that want optimised decks need to buy the miniatures they dont want inorder to get a few cards they do want.

David Laurence

Hrm.
Validated User
To expand on previous answers, all we really know is that there are a few cards (like, ten or so) in Nightvault that are the same as Shadespire (the generic hold objective cards and one or two very useful ploys), some that are new cards that duplicate effects on Shadespire cards, and some (probably especially concerning magic and anti-magic) that are entirely new effects.

Considering that Nightvault adds the new magic mechanic, no, there's probably no need for a new player to get the Shadespire core set unless you really want those warbands. Once you get a few warbands together, or want to involve people in 3- or 4-player games, the game boards and duplicate cards will start to be more useful, but if you're just starting out? I'd definitely go Nightvault.

I also might add that, unless you're playing at a pretty competitive level, building an "optimized deck" isn't really necessary. I'm still running the Orruks with basically just the cards that come in their box, and they're still plenty fun and quite strong enough for casual play.

Last edited:

Vanger

Knuddelmonster
Validated User
Thank you for your answers :) Yes, currently I'm just starting out, but I know myself, sooner or later I want to compete in some organized play. While there are 40K and AoS event around here, Warhammer Underworlds is more popular in the gamer bars because it requires less infrastructure (space, tables, terrain).

I'm still undecided on which warband I want to get into (too many options, I like). From what I read I think the Orruks are the one for me as they would fit me best. In RPGs and MMOs I gravitate towards tanks or plated close combat damage dealers. I can't effectively play casters, ranged damage dealers or sneaky types. But I also like the look of the skeleton warband. And Khorne is my favourite chaos god from Warhammer (again, straigtforward, melee oriented), so the khorne warband with the hound is tickling my fancy.

OMAC 247

Tired of your nonsense
Validated User
Aaaaaaaand, ordered, I had done so well so far, I've even played Shadespire and not been completely convinced by it, but yet again the lovely, lovely models pull me back in :(

David Laurence

Hrm.
Validated User
Thank you for your answers :) Yes, currently I'm just starting out, but I know myself, sooner or later I want to compete in some organized play. While there are 40K and AoS event around here, Warhammer Underworlds is more popular in the gamer bars because it requires less infrastructure (space, tables, terrain).

I'm still undecided on which warband I want to get into (too many options, I like). From what I read I think the Orruks are the one for me as they would fit me best. In RPGs and MMOs I gravitate towards tanks or plated close combat damage dealers. I can't effectively play casters, ranged damage dealers or sneaky types. But I also like the look of the skeleton warband. And Khorne is my favourite chaos god from Warhammer (again, straigtforward, melee oriented), so the khorne warband with the hound is tickling my fancy.
Personally, I'd say if you're wavering between Orruks and Magore's band, go with Khorne - the Orruks are a little tricky to use as the gap between the "incredibly beastly" boss and the "pretty weedy all considered" scrubs is large, while all 3 of the humans in the Khorne group are basically on par with one another. Add to this the fact that for the Orruks your opponent basically gets to control when you inspire and it can be marginally more difficult to use well. (That said, an inspired and upgraded Gurzag is an absolute monster, one of the toughest individuals in the game, which can be a lot of orky fun.)

Vanger

Knuddelmonster
Validated User
Personally, I'd say if you're wavering between Orruks and Magore's band, go with Khorne - the Orruks are a little tricky to use as the gap between the "incredibly beastly" boss and the "pretty weedy all considered" scrubs is large, while all 3 of the humans in the Khorne group are basically on par with one another. Add to this the fact that for the Orruks your opponent basically gets to control when you inspire and it can be marginally more difficult to use well. (That said, an inspired and upgraded Gurzag is an absolute monster, one of the toughest individuals in the game, which can be a lot of orky fun.)
Thank you. If I understood correctly from the Warhammer Community article, the orruks get inspired when they take damage? What is the inspire condition of other warbands? I tried to search for the cards, but google is not very helpful if you enter "magore".

Last edited:
Top Bottom