IC Shadow of the Demon Lord: Outpost

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"I guess that's where we go, then", Connor suggests. "No sense in delaying the inevitable."

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Doctor Sterren Lark

Lark sighs. "I suppose that's me, then. Would you do me the courtesy of not waiting so damn long to follow behind? I'd rather pointy and stabby things have an equal chance of penetrating your hides as mine."

Lark slinks away, paying first attention to the location of trap-type things and second attention to being stealthy.

Spoiler: Show
stealth-making, with Trickery and maybe Murder boons: 1d20+3 10 1d6 6 1d6 4

Do you want a separate roll for trap-finding?

Tancred

All over the shop
Validated User
Doctor Sterren Lark

Lark sighs. "I suppose that's me, then. Would you do me the courtesy of not waiting so damn long to follow behind? I'd rather pointy and stabby things have an equal chance of penetrating your hides as mine."

Lark slinks away, paying first attention to the location of trap-type things and second attention to being stealthy.

stealth-making, with Trickery and maybe Murder boons: 1d20+3 10 1d6 6 1d6 4

Do you want a separate roll for trap-finding?
Yes please - that's a Perception roll with 1 bane

The stairs are slimy and tendrils of wet moss hang down from the stone ceiling, although the centre appears much cleaner and dryer from the passage of what looks to be a massive pair of feet coming and going over time.

The steps descend about 5-6 yards before opening out into an octagonal room with an exit directly opposite containing more steps, and decorated with more, similar carvings as above and niches filled with candle stubs on four of the eight sides. A wrought-iron chandelier hangs from the centre of the room, approximately 6 yards wide, and it looks like the intention is for the room to serve as a spiritual threshold, brightly lit before the visitor descends deeper into the crypt.

Incongruously placed next to the candle niches on the right hand side is a crudely-carved and child sized chair upon which a child-sized doll or mannequin is propped.

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Connor follows on Lark's steps a few moments later, leading the group.

Tancred

All over the shop
Validated User
Traps check with 1 bane possibly negated by Trickery or Nightvision; roll is check; bane; boon: 1d20+3 17 1d6 2 1d6 3

I was going to make a complicated appeal, but the bane and boons shouldn't matter with a 17 result, and I'll try to be clearer with my rolls in future.

If needed, Lark will have his Nightvision back up.
You're night vision is stll on (if you want) - I've been roughly tracking and you've got 2 rounds left now, but the roll assumed you were using it. But 17 anyway, so it doesn't matter

As Connor and co descend the stairs something subtlely flickers in Dr Lark's peripheral vision - the wall to his left between the candle niches is hazy and seems to shift. When looked at directly it's a moss-stained stone wall like the others in the room but when looked at from side on the flickering effect reoccurs.

It appears to be illusory to some extent.

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Doctor Sterren Lark

Lark snickers to himself and sidesteps to the left through the illusory wall, thinking it would be fun to trick his companions. It's only after he does so that he reflects on the stupidity of playing games in an ancient tomb to unknown powers that would probably be overjoyed to eat him as a snack.

Tancred

All over the shop
Validated User
Doctor Sterren Lark

Lark snickers to himself and sidesteps to the left through the illusory wall, thinking it would be fun to trick his companions. It's only after he does so that he reflects on the stupidity of playing games in an ancient tomb to unknown powers that would probably be overjoyed to eat him as a snack.
Connor, Stenchridden and the rest of the group descend the stairs, Snorri bringing up the rear and his bulk filling the space. The torchlight flickers around the walls of the octagonal room, highlighting the shadowed niches in the walls full of old candle stubs, the wrought-iron chandelier casting spidery shadows over the steps ahead leaivng this room and descending further downward, and not least on the creepy doll-thing perched on a wooden under-sized chair in one corner.

The room is empty though - Sterren is nowhere to be seen.

Can you give me a Perception roll, no banes, to see if you either spotted Sterren slink sideways or notice the shimmering wall. Atlictoatl, Sterren is incommunicado for the moment - I'll come back to Sterren's fate shortly...

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Connor looks around cautiously, but can't find any trace of Sterren.

Output: Perception: [1d20] = 6

Drewsie

Validated User
Stenchridden notices Connor's distraction, then notices the missing Doctor. He pauses trying to make sense of it but cannot see anywhere he could be. He taps Connor lightly and wordlessly gestures, "Where is he?"

Nope, same for me.

Top Bottom