• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC [Shadowrun 5th Edition] Neon and Glass

CherrySmiles

Malicious Sprite
Validated User
Seattle. City of fortunes, fame, adventure. On top, its all glitz and glamour, fat credsticks and wild nightlife. Is that why you're here, chummer? You wanna cash in on that? You want an ebony 'stick and a line of nova and a sim-starlet hanging off your arm every night? Or is it something else? Maybe you got a drive, a burning need for something. Maybe its revenge, or a maybe you're hunting for something- or someone- or maybe its just for sheer delight and the thrill that comes of being shot at and missed. Or maybe, you poor slot, you don't know why you're here at all. Did you just fall outta your ivory tower and land down here in the dark with the rest of us, where the reflections of the neon and glass make long shadows? If you did, you better get stepping. These are hungry times, and the predators down here have big teeth and monstrous appetites and the very latest in the corp-sponsored hardware.

But whatever you're doing here, that's alright. There's a place for everyone in The Emerald City, from the very bottom of the gutter in Redmond to the highest aeries in Bellevue. Find your own path, make your own truth, and try not to lose sight of what made you cross into this world.

Welcome to 2080, omae. Welcome to Seattle.

This is the OOC for the SR5 game Neon and Glass. I am your GM, CherrySmiles.

1. This game is SR5e.
2. This game will be Sum-to-10 build, using the prime runner limits on +/- qualities and nuyen expenditure, as well as free knowledge and free contacts.
3. This game will be set in Seattle, at least to start.
4. We'll use the current timeline, which should set us to 2080.
5. You may use as many or as few books as you have/want to use. I have them all, so I get a great big toolkit. I will explain things for people who do not have whatever book I am using to try and de-rezz their characters, however.

The players are:
1. Markov Markov
2. H HardKore Keltoid
3. Meriss Meriss
4. L Leanansidhe
5. PixieDust PixieDust
6. Sabermane Sabermane
7. squidheadjax squidheadjax

The rules from the GM:
1. Don't kill each other, unless it's been mutually agreed upon by the players in question.
2. Obey the ToS on RPG.net.
3. While this is a mature game in an objectively dark setting, we're on a public forum. Please remember that. If you have part of your character's story you want to share, but you aren't sure it's appropriate, PM me and we'll figure something out.
4. Be respectful to one another. You may think another player is dead wrong or that their character concept is a disaster. That is fine. You may feel you should point this out in all haste. That is not fine. Feel free to argue and debate and shout your opinions from the rooftops, but do it with a modicum of politeness. Everyone so far seems quite pleasant, so this is more in the nature of preemptive measures.

The Guidelines and tips from the GM, or, "how not to make my mistakes"
1. Remember that while you can get to 25 dice (or more) you don't have to. A dice pool of 10-12 serves most professionals in their field of expertise just fine. Higher than that is rare. Most of your allies and enemies, for example, won't get above this unless they're purpose-built to particular ends, or truly exceptional. So while having thirty dice to underwater basket weaving may sound like a good idea, remember that a "mere" fifteen dice to submerged container construction will probably do just as well.

2. You have teammates for a reason. No one needs to be able to do everything themselves. That would be a very boring game. Sure, take skills that make sense. Take pride in your skills. Use them with panache! If you've got a half a million in chrome, it would make sense to take cyberdoc skills *CoughLeanansidheCough* but if you, say, had a cyberdoc with the team *ahem* you don't have to have them. Most people don't really have that many skills, especially unrelated ones.

3. You do not have sole claim to doing stuff. This is a big one. 'Runners tend to get in the mindset that whoever is best at [Thing] should always be the only one to do [thing]. Life doesn't work that way. I know, this isn't life, but still. It would be a pretty dull and colorless experience if the only person who ever got to talk was the face, or only the private investigator ran down clues. If someone wants to step up and bungle a social roll, go for it! The faces can run damage control, I'm sure. Point is, don't stay silent on something just because someone else is slightly better at it. On the flip side, don't be an idiot, either. If you don't have demolitions, don't play with plastique, for example.

4. Cool and plot trump almost all other concerns. SR5 is suuuuuper granular, with rules for EVERYTHING. Most of the time, those are great. Occasionally, they're a milspec-grade pain in the hoop. In those cases, feel free to ask me to disregard them, as I will almost certainly do in return sometimes. As long as handwaving a rule doesn't adversely affect another player, I'll consider it. Note that this is not free rein to disregard RAW. But we've all seen the writing in these books. The rules are not always clear, or useful, or logical. I love 5e, but damn.

5. Its okay to ask for stuff. You are allowed to argue with me. Politely. Same with calling me out or suggesting I have my head up my ass. I make mistakes. There's a ton of books and some of the rules are open to interpretation. I'll also have to houserule some stuff as it occurs to me. It's 100% fine to disagree, ask me to reconsider, ask me to bend a rule, etc. I'll give you an answer, and if you disagree you can make your case either by post or by PM. The worst I can do is say "no."

I think that's everything! Please use orokos for dice rolling purposes. Character sheets can be posted in this thread. I don't require you to list out every last little thing in terms of karmic/point/nuyen expenditure. I have a pretty good feel for SR, so if something seems way off I'll ask you about it, but otherwise I'll let it go. Besides, using all books can lead to some incredibly complicated mathematics, and I'd just as soon not read a wall of calculations.

A quick recap of the team so far:
Meriss - Misanthropic Medical Man!
Markov - Technomancer (Probably!) with 'ware (also probably!)
PixieDust - DEFINITELY NOT A FORMER IRA BOMBER
Leanansidhe - Former meatslave Jillette. Secondary face. Probably skirting cyberpsychosis. Undoubtedly has a raft of problems.
Hardkore Keltoid - The guy with the largest gun! (If I took his meaning correctly)
Sabermane - Elven spellslinger. Smooth talker. Fathers with daughters probably hate him.
Squidheadjax - The not-so-baby driver!

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
I'm thinking of going summoner. Are there any good mentor spirits for that?

Leanansidhe

Mab's Right Hand
Validated User
I'm thinking of going summoner. Are there any good mentor spirits for that?
Bat, from Hard Targets, is a flat +1 to conjuring any spirit.
Alligator, also from HT, is +2 for water spirits.
Boar, from Howling Shadows doesn't give you a bonus, but you get an extra service each time.
Eagle, from Core gives +2 for air spirits.
As Meriss pointed out, Sea is also still +2 for water.
Stag from Forbidden Arcana gives +2 to earth
IIRC, Thunderbird is another air one.
Or you could go all the way with Planar Entity from Forbidden Arcana, which if I read it right is essentially cutting a Faustian Deal with a spirit in order to gain power, but it allows you to choose your own bonus, subject to Cherry's approval.

Meriss

Chaos Incarnate
Validated User
"Misanthropic Medical Man" XD
"Yeah Whadya want?"
Bat, from Hard Targets, is a flat +1 to conjuring any spirit.
Alligator, also from HT, is +2 for water spirits.
Boar, from Howling Shadows doesn't give you a bonus, but you get an extra service each time.
Eagle, from Core gives +2 for air spirits.
As Meriss pointed out, Sea is also still +2 for water.
Stag from Forbidden Arcana gives +2 to earth
IIRC, Thunderbird is another air one.
Or you could go all the way with Planar Entity from Forbidden Arcana, which if I read it right is essentially cutting a Faustian Deal with a spirit in order to gain power, but it allows you to choose your own bonus, subject to Cherry's approval.
TBird does the +2 for air spirits if my reading is correct.

Meriss

Chaos Incarnate
Validated User
*Head of flaming, red hair and freckled face pops in from the doorframe* "Don' suppose ye 'ave any Ether I could borrow?"
*Looks up from shoulder deep in someone* "I'm like fragging busy O'Rourke! Piss off!"

Markov

The Fabulous King
Validated User
*Head of flaming, red hair and freckled face pops in from the doorframe* "Don' suppose ye 'ave any Ether I could borrow?"
*Looks up from shoulder deep in someone* "I'm like fragging busy O'Rourke! Piss off!"
I love this already.

As a technomancer, do I need a Smartlink enhancement to utilize the Smartgun features on my gun? I assumed I could pass on the AR gloves and Image Link, but the gun 'link is a 2,000Y feature, so I wanted to ask.

CherrySmiles

Malicious Sprite
Validated User
If your gun already has it, all you need is a way to see it. Sunglasses or contacts are usually good places to shove a 'link enhancement. There may be a complex form or a submersion that could do it, too. Or you could just use a laser sight. Its only one less die.

Leanansidhe

Mab's Right Hand
Validated User
Markov Markov Because a living persona cannot be part of a PAN, master or slave, then you'd still need either an augmentation or an external device in order to gain the benefits. And while you don't require a commlink, you might want to have one just to use as data storage, unless you also have a photographic memory. Sorry, wish I had better news. You might ask Cherry to bend the rules, though. It seems like you should be able to get the benefits without the gear, as long as you have a way to paint the stuff over your eyes.

Top Bottom